About staying on topic

It's called organisation, keeping like information together. People wanting to know about remote play want that info in one place, not hidden somewhere unrelated. It's the same principle that has a chairpman oversee a discussion and keep it on task. If there's no point to sticking to topics, you want a completely natural progression of the discussion, then there's no point even having discrete topics and you may as well just have a huge chat-room stream of ideas. Good luck with that!

It's called organisation, keeping like information together. People wanting to know about remote play want that info in one place, not hidden somewhere unrelated. It's the same principle that has a chairpman oversee a discussion and keep it on task. If there's no point to sticking to topics, you want a completely natural progression of the discussion, then there's no point even having discrete topics and you may as well just have a huge chat-room stream of ideas. Good luck with that!

its called 4chan

whats this obsession with sticking to the topic?
On top of what Shifty says, people going off-topic at will is the number one reason the quality of discussion in a thread goes down. These are focused technical forums where their legacy is one of quality information, so that's why we encourage you to, and I empower Shifty to help, keep things on-topic.

If a digression is actually worth being followed up on, you guys have been reasonably liberal with the use of The Big Modhammer of Threadspawning as well. Good work overall, I'd say.

Yeah, that's the intention, if it's a valid tangent that warrants further debate. Posts will likely get deleted if they are silly OTs with very little basis in the original topic (eg. Exploring nVidia's latest GPU, someone brings up nVidia finances - so off base it'll go straight away), or in threads where there have been many reminders and warnings, like the console tech analysis threads. These hot threads always have a clear warning in the original post and a request to read the OP before posting, so everyone knows the score and it's their own daft fault if they waste time posting stuff that's irrevelant and gonna get chopped, and potentially reprimands.

While I certainly respect and understand y'all's(I'm Texan. I say y'all) commitment to keeping things on-topic, I think it's taken a bit too far. I've come across many an interesting, informative, funny or otherwise worthwhile thread over the years that only came about because it was off-topic.

Basically, I'm saying maybe ease up a bit. Not too much, but a little.

While I certainly respect and understand y'all's(I'm Texan. I say y'all) commitment to keeping things on-topic, I think it's taken a bit too far. I've come across many an interesting, informative, funny or otherwise worthwhile thread over the years that only came about because it was off-topic.

You're TEXAN? I'm surprised you haven't turned this into a conversation about Sega yet. :D

You're TEXAN? I'm surprised you haven't turned this into a conversation about Sega yet. :D

Oh, fuck that. Fuck that to hell.

Why that loser keeps signing up and spreading his fake Sega info, I don't know.

You know, I wonder... Why would a hardcore Sega fan like him intentionally spread bad rumors? Makes me wonder if somebody is feeding him false information...

In conclusion, stay on topic. And to respond to IST, it's my belief that, if anything, we are actually too lenient in this area.

Basically, I'm saying maybe ease up a bit. Not too much, but a little.
From what I see, a little leeway is always afforded, and when it starts to wonder either it's suggested to get back on topic, or the tangent is spawned off. I've also known tangents get spawned on request. And most importantly, if a topic is ended inside a thread, what's to stop you starting a new thread saying, "such and such was raised here (link) and I'm thinking yadayada..."? ;)

From what I see, a little leeway is always afforded, and when it starts to wonder either it's suggested to get back on topic, or the tangent is spawned off. I've also known tangents get spawned on request. And most importantly, if a topic is ended inside a thread, what's to stop you starting a new thread saying, "such and such was raised here (link) and I'm thinking yadayada..."? ;)

Honestly, when that happens, I always get the impression that, unless the moderator says to bring it up in another topic/says that another thread already has discussion about this, that the topic should be dropped and not brought up again.

In conclusion, stay on topic. And to respond to IST, it's my belief that, if anything, we are actually too lenient in this area.

Too lenient? There's barely any off-topic in this forum aside from the political sub-forum(Which is, well, moderated once every year or so) and the console sub-forums, where it gets locked down pretty quickly.

Honestly, when that happens, I always get the impression that, unless the moderator says to bring it up in another topic/says that another thread already has discussion about this, that the topic should be dropped and not brought up again.
Then you misinterpret! Sometimes a discussion is plain stupid and we frown on it, although even then start a new thread and the worst that'll happen is it gets locked. There's no reason to think an off-topic but relevant branch doesn't deserve its own thread. "off topic" only means "not in this thread" and not "do not discuss"!

If the tangent is about mod worship, isn't that considered on topic in pretty much every single thread / forum area? :p

Back