A Sony controller patent: Wireless PS3 Glove controller?

j^aws

Veteran
Link to patent Hand-held computer interactive device

Here are a few pics from the patent,

glove1.jpg

glove2.jpg

glove3.jpg

I don't know if this has been covered before but it's an interesting SCE patent for a wireless, force feedback, glove controller destined for PS3?

Most gamers would agree that the most important element in a game is of course the gameplay, i.e. the 'fun' factor. They would also agree that certain 'other' elements would enhance this experience e.g. better graphics, sound etc. But the gameplay/ game mechanics is directly linked to the controller/ human input device and can be taken for granted.

I've heard FPS players express the keyboard/ mouse combo as a better control mecahnic than that of a joypad. I suppose the original game mechanics/design is tested with a preferred controller in mind for the target platform. I would much prefer to play half-life/quake with a KB/Mouse than with a joypad. However, I don't know if I'd prefer to play Metroid Prime with KB/M than with the GC controller? I would also prefer to play Street FighterII on the original arcade stick than on a controller...

Each successive generation brings along more btns or tries to add something new to the controller. I remember going from a dial type device that you needed to twist to play Pong with to a one button Atari joystick (8 directional!) to play Pac-man! Then there was a NES D-Pad controller with 2 buttons!..and the Megadrive with 6 buttons! And some gameplay took advantage of these extra buttons. The next innovation was the L and R shoulder buttons introduced by the SNES controller and certain play mechanics were created by this. The PS1 controller introduced an extra set of shoulder btns but it's biggest contribution was the 'grip' handles for comfort...(negated by the blistered thumbs from the D-Pad!). The N64 'analogue' stick, the trigger btn and the 'rumble' feature brought a new set of play mechanics. Hotly followed by the PS1 twin analog stick Dual Shock. Then the PS2 DS2 with the twin analogue sticks and analogue buttons. I think certain games are making use of the 2nd analogue stick but I'm not sure about the analogue buttons and whether that has introduced any new play mechanics is debatable. And here we are with the current gen with the XB and GC controllers adding twin analogue trigger btns...can't recall of any new play mechanics from these either. Then there are non standard controllers like the eyetoy, dance mats, steering wheels etc. enhancing certain types of gameplay specific to that human interface.

What extra features are we expecting from next gen standard controllers (i.e. the base model that all games are designed for) and would they introduce any new gameplay mechanics? Would the above Sony patent bring any new play mechanics to any game genres? I hope there are some innovations...because a new Sony DS3 with more buttons wouldn't really cut it and intoduce new gameplay?

Could this be the minority report interface Sony was talking about?

Anyway, Jaws, your an excellent new poster, best I've seen. Good work..

Looks neat... i have a feeling this controller will arrive for PS2 and not only for PS3.

I couls see it used for racing games where you form a virtual racing wheel or handle bars on a bike. Or even on the eyetoy. however I don't know how you'd use this with anything that requires a gamepad or analog stick... Still it's cool looking. It looks like sony has done more to innovate controllers lately than any other.

looks like two power gloves !!! anyone remember playing mario bros with the power glove and how it premeared in the wizard

Paul said:
Could this be the minority report interface Sony was talking about?

Didn't know Sony talked about a minority report type interface... is there a link to that article? It would fit that idea though...all we need now is the matching 200" translucent screen! 8)

Paul said:
Anyway, Jaws, your an excellent new poster, best I've seen. Good work..

Cheers...is there a 'noob' of the month award I win! :LOL: ;)

Qroach said:
Looks neat... i have a feeling this controller will arrive for PS2 and not only for PS3.

I couls see it used for racing games where you form a virtual racing wheel or handle bars on a bike. Or even on the eyetoy. however I don't know how you'd use this with anything that requires a gamepad or analog stick... Still it's cool looking. It looks like sony has done more to innovate controllers lately than any other.

You could be right that it arrives for ps2 before ps3, like the dualshock for PS1...

I think the digits on the glove act as analogue btns/triggers and the relative motion of the hands could act as the analogue sticks perhaps...?

Qroach said:

The tech might be already OK but it will be better for them to keep that tech as a "wow factor" for the PS3, it will be a better move IMHO.

Jaws said:
Didn't know Sony talked about a minority report type interface... is there a link to that article?

Here it is.
Link to Polygonmag

A patent for something that was designed into a real product almost a century ago... :LOL:

I wouldn't be surprised if SONY patented a virtual boy device in the near future...or a dual screen PSP 2. :LOL:

PC-Engine said:
A patent for something that was designed into a real product almost a century ago... :LOL:

I wouldn't be surprised if SONY patented a virtual boy device in the near future...or a dual screen PSP 2. :LOL:
Apparently you are not quite aware of patenting issues in the 20th Century :rolleyes:

rabidrabbit said:
PC-Engine said:

Apparently you are not quite aware of patenting issues in the 20th Century :rolleyes:

Apparently you've never heard of the term sarcasm...dude! :LOL: :p

It looks like that device as in the patent only registers the finger movements on one axis, squeezing a finger.
for the thumb, it would be good if it registered a second axis too, that would allow for a thumbstick style analog control.
In that form, it would seem to be a little too limited for a next gen control device.
Where's the text part of that patent?

That thing is not a glove is it ? I hope not anyway, I hate wearing gloves. From the picture it looks like you have to hold that thing with the palm of your hand.

Skimming through the patent, you can see Sony trademark

"TOUCH ENGINE" :D

We should have a guessing game at what other **** Engine, Sony will trademark :D

At this point, I would expect it might be forced axis, but reads the bending level in an "analog" manner of many varying degrees, which would at least register a lot of different combinations and be useful, rather than shticky and limiting. (Also for that, it would also need a good angle and motion sensor to get hand movement into play.)

Probably be "shticky" regardless. And amusing device for a few games and maybe some UI controlling if they want to be cute... Unless Konami gets ahold of it and makes nine "PianoMania" titles, at which point it'll have at least ten games to work with. ;)

cthellis42 said:
Unless Konami gets ahold of it and makes nine "PianoMania" titles, at which point it'll have at least ten games to work with. ;)

:D Konami Benami will be back on (serious) buisiness, if it (Sony's glove) allow to do complex moves that's almost a fact.

How would you play a game like VF or Tekken with that? Unless you're a pianist, there's no way ou could use all ur fingers independently in a precise way, especially the ring finger and the little finger. Try, you can't move those 2 independently in a precise way.

london-boy said:
How would you play a game like VF or Tekken with that? Unless you're a pianist, there's no way ou could use all ur fingers independently in a precise way, especially the ring finger and the little finger. Try, you can't move those 2 independently in a precise way....
especially the little finger, as it is always crooked or cocked upwards when holding something, like a teacup :D

london-boy said:
How would you play a game like VF or Tekken with that? Unless you're a pianist, there's no way ou could use all ur fingers independently in a precise way, especially the ring finger and the little finger. Try, you can't move those 2 independently in a precise way.
You wouldn't. But you might be able to play a weird alternate mode from a 1st-person perspective where you use your hands to box or otherwise move the controllers to perform fighter-like moves. (Imagine leaning forward and clenching both hands to perform a grab move. ;) )

They need good motion-tracking to make the controller really work though, otherwise the usefulness will be severely retarded. I suppose they might try to use the EyeToy for that purpose instead, but IMHO that's getting complex, annoying, and is frankly a bit ghey. (Though it would be acceptable if it could perform far better motion tracking that way, I suppose.)

Without it, Bemani might be the ONLY people using the device. ;) With it, it could interpret hand motions more naturally and be useful in... well... any game that wants you to use your hands to do things, I suppose. :p

It's certainly not meant for "controller replacement" for general gaming purposes. That would be moronic.

Back