Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, but only in a version released 1 or 2 years later

• No, just DVD format

• Total voters

kyetech

Regular
Will sony use BR discs in PS3. Has there been any confirmation? Will it make it unecessarily expensive? Could there be two versions, one with BR one without. Or perhaps a version released further down the line with BR ?

My theory is its risky putting a disc format in a machine, when the format might not become standard. and HD is not widely used enough yet.

I think it would make more sense to either have two versions, for those that want to pay the extra. Or wait until its more widely adopted and then release a newer version.

??

Any guesses people ?

My choice isn't in your poll:

BR or unified next-gen DVD format.

Sony has previously announced they'd be using Bluray in PS3, yes. The only thing that could change that is if a unified format is agreed upon.

My theory is its risky putting a disc format in a machine, when the format might not become standard. and HD is not widely used enough yet.

From a funcitonality perspective, though, you wouldn't really be losing anything. Publishers would still have the option to put games on bluray discs regardless of what might happen with movies, and having that option is better than not having that option.

HD will get a lot more mainstream in the 5/6 years of the next console lifecycle..and it's just about hidef visuals (or movies), but from a games perspective, having the option of greater capacity without multiple discs.

It will come with an HD format at the entry level. It won't be standard DVD only. Whether that BluRay, HD-DVD, some hybrid or what, who knows.

a hybrid drive would be interesting, but if it was that easy, why not just have blu ray drives support dvd media out of the box? A hybrid drive is so obvious with the evening up of hd-dvd is 45g at 3 layers, and blu-ray is 50g with two. What I want to know is where is my 3 layer blue ray drive 75 gigs 16x writer, today?

AFAIK there is no 3-layer version of HD-DVD, or if it is it was announced in some sneaky way that completely avoided the front news-pages of all the computer tech sites of the known universe...

you missed the big news. they (toshiba) developed a disk that can hold two standard dvd layers in addition to three hd-dvd layers. Thats five layers supplying 9 gig standard and 45 gig high definition video pleasure.

lip2lip said:
you missed the big news. they (toshiba) developed a disk that can hold two standard dvd layers in addition to three hd-dvd layers. Thats five layers supplying 9 gig standard and 45 gig high definition video pleasure.

Wait . I thought it was 3 bluray layers or 2 bluray layers with a dvd layer ?

Am i missing something

jvd said:
lip2lip said:

Wait . I thought it was 3 bluray layers or 2 bluray layers with a dvd layer ?

Am i missing something

You are. He's wrong. (well, unless this was announced in the last 9 hours)

Back