A Plague Tale: Requiem - The Rats of Us [PS5, XBSX|S, PC, XGP, NX]

I'm still ruined by what you had to do in the end šŸ˜­
I didnā€™t expect it. But it was a fair ending.

There was a section where you are on the horses and with the fire turret and thereā€™s just a crazy amount of rats pouring out of everywhere blowing down walls and stuff. What an incredible moment on big screen with 3D audio. I was like whoa!!!

I didnā€™t expect it. But it was a fair ending.

There was a section where you are on the horses and with the fire turret and thereā€™s just a crazy amount of rats pouring out of everywhere blowing down walls and stuff. What an incredible moment on big screen with 3D audio. I was like whoa!!!
The game has a lot of good things going for it even though I will always say it's too long.

That sound when the rats are around or about to turn up is so unique the developers deserve praise for making something that will be recognisable years from now by anyone who knows the franchise.

If it performs well the cutbacks are absolutely meaningless. Same with starwars. Performance is the only barometer.

From what Ive seen the gameplay looks smooth and the game looks great still

If it performs well the cutbacks are absolutely meaningless. Same with starwars. Performance is the only barometer.

From what Ive seen the gameplay looks smooth and the game looks great still

Very true for performance mode. There's expected to be some cutbacks for that, but it's pretty much always worth it as long as the performance is delivered.

Regards,
SB

Todayā€™s new patch adds options for PC players, allowing them to optimize the gameā€™s graphical performance. The game also received several bug fixes.

Patch Notes

ā€¢ Added options on PC to save CPU usage and gain performance on minimal configurations:
  • Adjustment of the number of animated rats displayed on the screen to reduce CPU usage.
  • Adjusting the refresh rate of the rats on the screen to reduce CPU usage.
  • Adjust the refresh rate of the characters to reduce CPU usage.

Not without knowing how this 60fps mode performs and what cutbacks were made.
It's practically 60 fps locked now on console. Things like this were just a dream in the past generation. People in the net who complaining about the worst graphic setting of perfomance mode, are stupid, trolling and ignorant as hell; they deserve to play all the games at 30fps on console forever. IMO.

It's practically 60 fps locked now on console. Things like this were just a dream in the past generation. People in the net who complaining about the worst graphic setting of perfomance mode, are stupid, trolling and ignorant as hell; they deserve to play all the games at 30fps on console forever. IMO.
You are totally right. Something like this would literally be impossible for any generation previous to this. These current gen cpus are no joke. I would not be surprised if a dev chimed in and said it was easier to get 60fps as a baseline target on current consoles than it ever has been in console history.

We are seeing smaller confined but beautiful next gen only titles running at 60, beautiful open worlds like horizon at 60, and even dense city scapes with tons of AI and assets like cyperpunk 2077 with a solid 60fps

It's unheard of!

On PS3 and 360 you could barely hope your game ran at a stable 30fps most of the time. Luckily on PS4 that improved on the whole but this is a brand new ballgame

Doh! I just finished this on XS a few weeks ago.
Dont think i'll DL the whole thing again just to check out the 60fps mode.

But it bodes well, that a game that looks that good, can make it to 60fps.
Hopefully DF do a quick video on the sacrifices that were made to get it to 60fps.

Most games on PS2 were 60fps.

It's always a developer choice. Every single game on PS4/XB1 could have been 60fps if developers considered that a priority. But they wanted to push in other areas, so sacrificed performance to do so. It will be the same option for developers on PS5/XSX. They can make every game 60fps if they want, or they can really push their ambitions and the hardware harder while sacrificing performance to do so.

And no, people are not 'stupid, trolling and ignorant as hell' just cuz some people might prefer not sacrificing a level of graphics just to hit 60fps. This is all 100% subjective preference, and it will also depend specifically on the game and what cuts are actually made. It's no surprise that earlier/cross gen titles had less compromises necessary for 60fps performance, but the heavier the games get, the more sacrifices will become necessary and then you will find more people on both sides of the aisle in terms of preference. Like this is such common sense I'm annoyed that I have to explain it on a board like this.

While your right that most cases it is a dev choice, id hesitate to say most games had a 60fps target on ps2.

Most you may have played probably atleast aimed for 60 or had an unlocked fps, but there were a significant amount of games that were 30fps or frequently below that on ps2. Every final fantasy, every need for speed, every call of duty, every GTA etc

The PS5 generation is the first gen where devs don't have to sacrifice much besides resolution and relatively marginal graphical settings to keep a fluid fps, as even large detailed open worlds do not tax the hardware in the same way they might have in the past.
In previous days there were still plenty of things that would be impossible in terms of the game had they stuck to 60fps as a target.

But the current consoles have reached the barrier between developer resources, diminishing returns and the proper amount of power. RT is nice as far as visuals go and smoothing development pipelines, but it's probably the only major aspect left I can think of that requires 30fps on the consoles to be viable ( for the most part )

It's always a developer choice. Every single game on PS4/XB1 could have been 60fps if developers considered that a priority. But they wanted to push in other areas, so sacrificed performance to do so. It will be the same option for developers on PS5/XSX. They can make every game 60fps if they want, or they can really push their ambitions and the hardware harder while sacrificing performance to do so.

And no, people are not 'stupid, trolling and ignorant as hell' just cuz some people might prefer not sacrificing a level of graphics just to hit 60fps. This is all 100% subjective preference, and it will also depend specifically on the game and what cuts are actually made. It's no surprise that earlier/cross gen titles had less compromises necessary for 60fps performance, but the heavier the games get, the more sacrifices will become necessary and then you will find more people on both sides of the aisle in terms of preference. Like this is such common sense I'm annoyed that I have to explain it on a board like this.
I want to be clear: I haven't just said people who complaining of graphic setting downgrade for 60 fps locked are ignorant but more precisely who complaining about 60 fps option because it hasn't the same graphic setting of 30 fps, it's mostly childish in most of the argumentations, because neither ps2 hardware at launch was so flexible and powerful as this generation of console, to handle 60 fps in some engine, especially pc port (even 30 fps locked was a luxury on ps2, for such games)... quite a different argument and it's not just always a developer choice but also an hardware limitation of the console

Last edited:
The PS5 generation is the first gen where devs don't have to sacrifice much besides resolution and relatively marginal graphical settings to keep a fluid fps, as even large detailed open worlds do not tax the hardware in the same way they might have in the past.
In previous days there were still plenty of things that would be impossible in terms of the game had they stuck to 60fps as a target.

But the current consoles have reached the barrier between developer resources, diminishing returns and the proper amount of power. RT is nice as far as visuals go and smoothing development pipelines, but it's probably the only major aspect left I can think of that requires 30fps on the consoles to be viable ( for the most part )
Developers have all manner of options available to them if they want to push things harder where it would require sacrificing the (practical) possibility of 60fps. Diminishing returns are always a thing, but we're nowhere near reaching some level where improvements in the graphics and scope and system depth of games is running out of room for improvement. We've still got a long way to go.

I think the only thing that's really changed this generation is that 'Performance modes' have become normalized, and that we had such an extremely long cross-gen period with backwards compatible upgrades and whatnot that enabled these essentially last gen games to run at 60fps, which has become normalized in people's minds now. It's created this bizarre idea that everything should and needs to be 60fps, and that 30fps is suddenly not playable anymore(which the entire gaming community will conveniently forget in its endless, drooling praise for Tears of the Kingdom of course, proving how BS that rhetoric really is).

Personally, I will find it a shame if developers dont try and use the PS5/XSX hardware to push more than just evolutionary, easily-scalable graphics advancements. Obviously you'll still get some good looking games from it, but these consoles are capable of more than that.

I want to be clear: I haven't just said people who complaining of graphic setting downgrade for 60 fps locked are ignorant but more precisely who complaining about 60 fps option because it hasn't the same graphic setting of 30 fps, it's mostly childish in most of the argumentations, because neither ps2 hardware at launch was so flexible and powerful as this generation of console, to handle 60 fps in some engine, especially pc port (even 30 fps locked was a luxury on ps2, for such games)... quite a different argument and it's not just always a developer choice but also an hardware limitation of the console
There's nothing more flexible about this current hardware necessarily(outside of maybe being x86 and thus has easier portability with other major platforms). And yes, it really is a choice. If developers have a certain ambition that's not about hitting 60fps and it turns out hardware limitations prevent 60fps, then that was a choice to prioritize ambition over performance. If 60fps was the priority, developers will design their games to ensure they can hit that target, which again, is a choice.

And fair enough if you're talking about anybody who expected this 60fps mode wouldn't come with notable graphics reductions. I haven't seen them, but I have no doubt some will exist.

The real question is, will 30fps games tailored to from devs at this point actually result in better games or will it just sacrifice fps? You can still utilize the SSD of the consoles, lumen and Nanite at 60fps.

In addition devs are just barely able to make games now. Forcing the baseline to 30fps will not all of a sudden now force devs to put in features and gameplay design that was not possible at 60fps or make them more creative or make new genres like in the past. There is no world where that exists.

They will simply make the same games they were already making but with only a 30fps option and RT or slightly higher graphical presets. Which is not really a worthwhile strat compared to designing games to hit 60 and design a game around that target.

There is more you can do with more hardware grunt that's true. But speaking of this console generation, there is nothing you would get between sacrificing 60 that would get you closer to those tech demos you see on 4090s. We would need for ps6 to be available right now for that to happen.

Back