A musing on the prices of consoles

good post. obvious conclusions:

360 = focused games console
ps3 = focused media centre

and remember there are some intangible values, ie internet browser, Home, Xbox Live Anywhere, rumble, dev experience on 360 etc

;)

oh ... and add a media center extender to the cost list. :smile:

Ostepop: good point on the repairs

Scoob, Don't both consoles have a 1yr warranty? -$50

Scoob, Don't both consoles have a 1yr warranty? -$50
Apparently, only Microsoft hardware fails. The Sixaxis controller will still be functioning a thousand years from now on the same battery pack, possibly without even a recharge. :p

Two different purchase models, it makes sense that the Xbox 360 after you turn it into a media center would cost more than a PS3 which includes many of such functions right up front. The Xbox 360 however provides a lower cost point into basically the same games for a lower price point. The PS3 offers you some functions built in but costs you more if all you want is its video game capabilities.

This thread should really be looked at in caution and some of the later points in your writing should be highlighted in order to show that indeed when you buying a 360 or PS3 you're buying into two different animals in a lot of regards.

Apparently, only Microsoft hardware fails. The Sixaxis controller will still be functioning a thousand years from now on the same battery pack, possibly without even a recharge. :p

oh c'mon don't be silly! A thousand years? My bet is on 10. ;)

(realistically it will probably be toast for many heavy users in a few of years and need to be replaced but this is really nitpicking ... like a few other items here)

You do realize that MS fixes these consoles for free right?

Your time without a console has a non-tangible cost to you. I only brought it up because of the reference to the hypothetical Siaxis non-charging issue. If it is a valid complaint, then add $50 to the cost of the Ps3 after x years.

MS did extend their warranty to 1 year.. after tons of launch failures and customer complaints.

Media extender? Like Orb ($0)?

Two different purchase models, it makes sense that the Xbox 360 after you turn it into a media center would cost more than a PS3 which includes many of such functions right up front. The Xbox 360 however provides a lower cost point into basically the same games for a lower price point. The PS3 offers you some functions built in but costs you more if all you want is its video game capabilities.

This thread should really be looked at in caution and some of the later points in your writing should be highlighted in order to show that indeed when you buying a 360 or PS3 you're buying into two different animals in a lot of regards.

Which is why I think that Sony shouldn't try to push the PS3 as a gaming system. Yes we all know it's the Playstation, but the Playstation isn't worth 600 dollars to me as a videogame system. What there are 3-4 must own games? Sony should be throwing up commercials about the photos and the web browsing and the music and all the other things it can do. We all know it can play videogames, show us something else. They could have had a sale (my inlaws, whom make a grip of money) when they were looking for a replacement dvd player. They didn't bite cause Sony hadn't shown them all the things they can do with the system.

need to add a headset to PS3 that comes with every 360 :smile:

good thread Shifty, MS is indeed an ala' carte approach compared to PS3 (although as noted they give you some nice bonuses with the headset and HD cables, premium/elite).

I am glad that I have the choice with Ms and I know the wireless network adapter is a quality part which makes it so expensive, but it's the one thing I wish it had built in. OTOH, considering that it is a/b/g it's not fair to pass that cost along to the millions of users who will never need it IMO. Same goes with the HD DVD add on.

certainly different approaches

I only brought it up because of the reference to the hypothetical Siaxis non-charging issue. If it is a valid complaint

Even if your batteries are made by NASA they still get ****ed up over time. Its just how batteries are. Thats why, in order to save money, i got a small nuclear chargerpack on my wifi controllers.:cool:

MS did extend their warranty to 1 year.. after tons of launch failures and customer complaints.

That last part is completely uncalled for, it doesn't matter why they did it.

OTOH, considering that it is a/b/g it's not fair to pass that cost along to the millions of users who will never need it IMO.

{raises hand}

I like the ala cart approach and I'm sure many other gamers do to. Extended features are nice but not every gamer is interested in paying additional for these features.

Which is why I think that Sony shouldn't try to push the PS3 as a gaming system. Yes we all know it's the Playstation, but the Playstation isn't worth 600 dollars to me as a videogame system. What there are 3-4 must own games? Sony should be throwing up commercials about the photos and the web browsing and the music and all the other things it can do. We all know it can play videogames, show us something else. They could have had a sale (my inlaws, whom make a grip of money) when they were looking for a replacement dvd player. They didn't bite cause Sony hadn't shown them all the things they can do with the system.
the PS3 is a legitimate gaming machine; maybe not now, but it will be soon enough. it IS only 4 months old... how many games do you expect it to have?
the PlayStation will always be pushed as a Gaming machine first. whatever else it does is just a bonus. and if you buy the PS3 for something else (such as a standalone blu-ray player), by all means.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is easy enough to add up, and it does look like a win for PS3 on value.

buuuuut....

So many 360 users are not buying the HDDVD or the 120GB drive, and neccessarily won't be using those features.

Every PS3 user is "buying" BluRay playback and HDMI connections and online gameplay ;) , but not neccessarily using them.

Good post, Shifty, but I'd be more interested in seeing some data on what the average 360 setup and the average PS3 setup would cost. It would require getting all kinds of numbers on the peripheals sold, and even then alot of stuff would slip thru the craks, like third party hdd's and headsets and the like.

Actually, I suppose we could do a mini-survey here at B3D. It's allready sort of started with people breaking down their setups. We could possibly organize it into another thread.

Here's mine:

60gb PS3: $600
HDMI Cable: Actually kinda had one laying around. I'd guess it at $20
Extra controller: $50
No extra usb cable with fifty dollar controller: Horse shit.
Logitech wireless desktop: $40 I'll count this since it's used exclusivly for the PS3. Or should I? Confused. :???:

Total: $710 ...or maybe... $670

The difference is easy enough to add up, and it does look like a win for PS3 on value.

Imo the PS3 wins in another department aswell. When you open the casing, it looks like it could last a thousand years. While with the X360, not so much. Much bigger impression of quality with the PS3

Very good thread. Te interesting thing is though that PS3 may become even more cheaper as time passes thanks to the fact that the whole unit is built with those.

So when economies of scale start showing off a 60GB PS3 which comes with these features built in could be be cheap enough for people to buy without a big difference in extra cost compared to a premium 360 missing the extra functionalities.

I find the guts of the PS3 deeply impressive, myself. Reminds of Apple's newer desktops. Perhaps becasue it's pure functionality. Just engineering with no observable benefit to the shopper.

Shame I don't open these things up more often. =) I have looked at picks but have not yet taken the dive with mine. The closest I got was removing part of the plastic shell, which turned out to be strong, translucent, flexible and remakably thin.

Why are people listing nearly $70 for recharger and extra packs when you can use standard rechargable AA bateries? I know I can buy a shitload of them + charger for $70.

Why are people listing nearly $70 for recharger and extra packs when you can use standard rechargable AA bateries? I know I can buy a shitload of them + charger for $70.

Because you must have the official? I don't know, the very same thing applies to the wireless really. You can find devices that perform the same function for cheaper.

Because you must have the official? I don't know, the very same thing applies to the wireless really. You can find devices that perform the same function for cheaper.
Seems like a double standard when you measure an el cheapo HDMI cable vs the "official Sony one" for $50 or so... what's the official price?

buuuuut....

So many 360 users are not buying the HDDVD or the 120GB drive, and neccessarily won't be using those features.

That's true. But I saw an interesting statistic from MS themselves about usage habits of the 360. According to their surveys, 360 owners spend 40% of their time on 360 doing things unrelated to gaming. This was one of the things they put out there when asked about the reasoning for the Elite model, an apparent appeal to a 'living room box'. It's something to consider..I can't remember how many times I've heard (some) people say "but I'm just interested in gaming". That statistic, and history has suggested most people aren't just interested in gaming. People might resent extra-gaming functionality when we're talking about the prices of these systems now, but I think over time when prices come down, you'll see less opposition to those features, if not outright enthusiasm.

Back