A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Ha ha, 2 million drop due to price hike (out of 22-25 million users) ? I don't see a big problem since they continue to rake in new subscribers. They should earn more now with the remaining subscribers. It's NetFlix's "problem", not mine. Why should I gross over the details ? The full article is for you to get the low down ! ^_^

Ha ha, 2 million drop due to price hike (out of 22-25 million users) ? I don't see a big problem since they continue to rake in new subscribers. They should earn more now with the remaining subscribers. It's NetFlix's "problem", not mine. Why should I gross over the details ? The full article is for you to get the low down ! ^_^

For accuracy, the drop is NOT due to price hike.

You are referring to the slowdown in new subscribers ? They will continue to play with the price and exclusive movie selection since all of them are selling essentially the same product. It's business as usual. NetFlix is going overseas. They should be able to pick up more customers there.

We will see what happens when Hulu get sold.

You are referring to the slowdown in new subscribers ? They will continue to play with the price and exclusive movie selection since all of them are selling essentially the same product. It's business as usual. NetFlix is going overseas. They should be able to pick up more customers there.

We will see what happens when Hulu get sold.

Yes, new subscribers not total subscribers apologies if that was unclear.

What Netflix and Hulu Users are Watching… and How:
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/what-netflix-and-hulu-users-are-watching-and-how/

Streaming video online is on the rise in the U.S., and how consumers tune in differs greatly across services. According to a recent Nielsen survey, the majority of Netflix users report watching on a TV screen. In fact, half of all Netflix users connect via a game console (Wii, PS3 or Xbox Live).

Conversely for Hulu, watching directly on a computer is the dominant way consumers connect. Eighty-nine percent of Hulu users watch directly on a computer, while 42 percent of Netflix users report watching on their computers.

Amongst the 3 consoles, Wii is the most popular NetFlix client (about PS3 and 360 combined).

Amongst the 3 consoles, Wii is the most popular NetFlix client (about PS3 and 360 combined).

I'm sure that's due to the massive install base but I figured most people would have an ps360 by now and would prefer the HD options, then again there are a LOT of Wii's out there

I'm sure that's due to the massive install base but I figured most people would have an ps360 by now and would prefer the HD options, then again there are a LOT of Wii's out there

It's not like Netflix is really HD quality anyways... definately surprised by those numbers though, I would've assumed 360 would be leading the way due to their superior NetFlix App, but obiously the $50 XBLive fee is a major barrier to entry.

:???: Wasn't Sony just at E3 stating how the PS3 was the most popular Netflix client?

Yap, I believe Jack Tretton said PS3 is (was) the #1 client consumes 30% of the NetFlix's bandwidth. Probably attributed to HD ?
Not sure what they are up to, but streaming space is heating up ! ^_^

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...f_the_Day_-_Walmart.com_Adds_Vudu_Rental/7346

Vudu Launches 99 Cent Movie of the Day - Walmart.com Adds Vudu Rental:
One of the problems with getting people to try out the Vudu service is the price. $5.99 for one HDX rental doesn't seem terrible, but many consumers are comparing that to $1 rentals and $7.99 monthly fees. That's why Vudu introduced 99 cent Movie of the Day specials. Every day a new movie is made available to rent for just 99 cents.

In addition to the new promotion, Walmart has added Vudu to the main page of its website and set up a seamless experience for customers who want to buy from Walmart.com and enjoy a movie rental while they're at it.

I swear I already saw $0.99 movie special for a few weeks now (before my vacation). May be it's my imagination.

If you have not watched "Source Code" yet, I recommend it highly. Watched it on Vudu yesterday while suffering from jetlag. Thinking of buying the Blu-ray version too.

It's not like Netflix is really HD quality anyways... definately surprised by those numbers though, I would've assumed 360 would be leading the way due to their superior NetFlix App, but obiously the $50 XBLive fee is a major barrier to entry.
If NetFlix requires gold subscription on Live, the viable audience is well below the 360 install base. Wii's install base versus PS3's and 360's capable of running Netflix should be enough to account for Wii's prevalence then. Very interesting, considering Nintendo always downplayed non-gaming functions in all their devices. :p

Yap, I believe Jack Tretton said PS3 is (was) the #1 client consumes 30% of the NetFlix's bandwidth. Probably attributed to HD ?

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...f_the_Day_-_Walmart.com_Adds_Vudu_Rental/7346

Vudu Launches 99 Cent Movie of the Day - Walmart.com Adds Vudu Rental:

I swear I already saw $0.99 movie special for a few weeks now (before my vacation). May be it's my imagination.

If you have not watched "Source Code" yet, I recommend it highly. Watched it on Vudu yesterday while suffering from jetlag. Thinking of buying the Blu-ray version too.

I'm pretty sure I saw $.99 as well, maybe we were test marketed.

My sister owns a Wii and she doesn't play games on it anymore, instead she uses it for streaming Netflix. It's perfect for that if you don't care about HD and just want a small streaming video box.

I figured Sony's figures were directly from Netflix, but I don't know for sure. This Nielsen thing is a self selected survey and they don't say anywhere what the methodology was so it's hard to explain what the discrepancy is. I'm suspicious of their numbers, though. For example, 3% use their Wii for Hulu? That's surprising, given the platform is completely unsupported by Hulu+.

I figured Sony's figures were directly from Netflix, but I don't know for sure. This Nielsen thing is a self selected survey and they don't say anywhere what the methodology was so it's hard to explain what the discrepancy is. I'm suspicious of their numbers, though. For example, 3% use their Wii for Hulu? That's surprising, given the platform is completely unsupported by Hulu+.

PlayOn works fine on the Wii, given the percentage of computers connected to TV you would have to expect there to be some technical savvy throughout those surveyed. EDIT: I only see a joystiq blurb about it and the way that is worded it appears that Sony is using a survey as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess it depends on which 10,000 users they surveyed. ^_^
Should be pretty spread out.

We will likely see more updates in the future.

So something like DRM which actually works for people? :(

I wanted to hate them forever!!! TT

PlayOn works fine on the Wii, given the percentage of computers connected to TV you would have to expect there to be some technical savvy throughout those surveyed.

Right, but that just tells you the survey is either too skewed to be taken seriously or broken in some manner on the question design.

Back