A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Did Vudu give out free credits again ? I get $5.99 credit when I started the player today.

EDIT: Seems to be related to the 3D monitor. I don't see the extra credits at home, only on the PS3 with the 3D monitor. The Vudu startup screen looks different too.

May be a bug ? Anyhow, it's free money for me. ^_^

Microsoft Mediaroom IPTV conference delay fuels Xbox Live TV rumors:
http://vista.blorge.com/2011/07/19/...v-conference-delay-fuels-xbox-live-tv-rumors/

Microsoft recently sent out emails to the developers registered for the conference indicating that the change in schedule is due to “conflicts with Mediaroom planning timelines.” According to ZDNet, the email also stated that postponing the conference into 2012 will allow Microsoft to deliver more information. All registered developers will receive a refund for the registration fee.

This move has caused some to speculate that Microsoft may be gearing up for a big reveal at the conference next year. Recently, Microsoft announced that its Xbox 360 console will receive IPTV service eventually. The company did not reveal the details of the service, but many speculated that the service would somehow incorporate Mediaroom with Xbox Live.

Microsoft revealed that the IPTV service would be coming to the Xbox 360 this year. However, the delay in the Mediaroom conference may mean that the service may not launch this year.

Microsoft isn’t the only company looking at bringing such as service to a console. Sony is also rumored to be working with Google to bring Google TV to the PS3. Microsoft’s Mediaroom IPTV solution has been slow in getting picked. However, if the company can leverage this solution across the Xbox 360, Microsoft will have the opportunity to push this out to millions of users quickly.

BBC pushes iPlayer into the living room:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8688314/BBC-pushes-iPlayer-into-the-living-room.html

The BBC has released an updated version of the iPlayer designed for televisions, in a move that its hoped will broaden access to the catch-up service to less technologically-savvy viewers.

It is available from today on the PlayStation 3 games console, and is being adapted for an array of set-top boxes and internet-capable televisions. Many such devices were already able to access iPlayer, but the presentation was inconsistent and it could be frustrating to navigate.

The new version features menus that are easier to use with a normal remote control and better personalisation features that remember viewers’ searches and them to quickly access their favourite programmes.

New player supports PS3's BD remote and HD content.

EDIT: iPlayer demo in this link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/08/bbc_iplayer_connected_tv.html

HD content is nice. Presumably this is HTML5 on PS3. I wonder when we'll see a decent HTML5 web browser update? This update's not actually released yet, contrary to reports.

Should be available now with firmware 3.7 under the new TV/Video icon.

EDIT:
Incidentally, thanks to jeff_rigby's digging:
http://www.playstationjobs.co.uk/vacancy/306-User-Interface-Designer&page=1

Recent job posting from Sony...

User Interface Designer

Job Type:
Temporary Booking
Salary/Rate:
DOE
Date Posted:
19/07/2011
Department:
SCEE R&D

You will be THE user interface designer on a movie/TV streaming application for PlayStation®3, your goal will be to design and prototype a consistent and logical architecture for the UI from a series of existing wireframes and style guides to further define the transitions, flow and animation to provide an intuitive user interface and experience.

Responsibilities:

- You will communicate your designs through documentation, program flow designs, and design prototypes whilst collaborating with our existing graphic artists to produce images required to aid understanding on how to implement the experience
- You will work closely with a small, focused team to deliver your design through implementation until the release of the product
- You will ensure that the UI is accessible and user friendly, whilst adhering to the platform guidelines
- Understanding the project vision, key dates and milestones

Skills/Experience:

The following skills are required for the role:
- Prior experience designing user interfaces, preferably for console games.
- Creative approach to solving problems.
- A proven ability to thoroughly document detailed design plans.
- Good team player with strong cross-group communication skills.
- Willingness to take design direction when offered, and the ability to work independently when it isn’t
- Prior experience working with software engineers and external partners.
- Ability to provide demonstrable results, either via a UI design portfolio or examples of prior work

The following skills are not required for the role, but would be seen as highly advantageous:
- Scripting experience (e.g. JavaScript, ActionScript)
- Experience in media player / IPTV, or STB user interface design

I streamed my first PSN movie the other day. Nearly £4 for on demand! I was very impressed with the quality, as good as DVD. Had tried LoveFilm prior to PSN, but it's range of 65,000 movies is limited to a couple of dozen available for streaming on PS3. :rolleyes: Most of them old films everyone's seen a thousand time already. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

NA definitely gets a better set of movie options to us Euros.

I streamed my first PSN movie the other day. Nearly £4 for on demand! I was very impressed with the quality, as good as DVD. Had tried LoveFilm prior to PSN, but it's range of 65,000 movies is limited to a couple of dozen available for streaming on PS3. :rolleyes: Most of them old films everyone's seen a thousand time already. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We only have MUBI currently, and of those only 768 are available for viewing ... in theory. My wife wanted to try a 12 minute short, which cost 99 eurocent, and it wouldn't start. Trailers and the free movies do work, so there's something still broken with the localization.

Existing DIRECTV customers can access the service on their PS3 for an additional $50 and use the PS3 as an additional receiver for your home.

How much does directtv charge for an additional receiver?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/17/directv-and-playstation-bring-nfl-sunday-ticket-to-ps3/#utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nfl_081711

Sony now has NFL Sunday Ticket and Direct TV which could be huge in the US despite the absolutly massive $340 price tag.

The price is slightly lower for current subscribers and a monthly payment plan is available. I think it costs $335. This is pretty cool though for students, those trying to cut the cord, etc.

Oh does that mean Sony gets a whole 5 dollars from the deal? :D Ha ha I bet they have some slightly better agreement then that.

The price is slightly lower for current subscribers and a monthly payment plan is available. I think it costs $335. This is pretty cool though for students, those trying to cut the cord, etc.

Yeah, it's slightly lower for the package if you're already a paying DirecTV subscriber. The big deal is Sunday Ticket is exclusive to DirecTV, so if you want to stay on Dish, Comcast, Time-Warner, etc, previously there was no way to get it at any price.

$340 is still pricey, but that's a result of the NFL and DirecTV's general dickishness.

Yap, if you want new movies, Vudu is the best. They can stream 3D and HD movies. PSN is a video download service, but the job posting above seems to indicate that they are working on a new video service. I suspect they are going to combine with Qriocity video streaming on PS3.

Hulu+ has the largest collection of HD movies. NetFlix collection is getting better too, although I can't tell anymore since I dropped the streaming subscription.

EDIT: I also noticed that Blu-ray movies have dropped in price in US.
Got a few for $11. ^_^

EDIT 2:
It looks like UltraViolet is coming out this fall:
http://gigaom.com/video/warner-bros-flixster-ultraviolet/

No wonder they separate TV/Video services out as a separate icon. We may see a sleuth of new channels in the near future. Blu-ray + UltraViolet would be awesome.

:LOL: You didn't go into Playstation Home to restore the icon ? I think there is zombie fighting @ Home this week. :LOL: :LOL:
I meant to check it out later... although what I really want is PvP fighting in Home.

Back