A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Unless you have non-MS devices like Android and Bravias, there is no reason to switch now. It's meant to expand Sony's footprint in the market. If you end up using Android (or heck, iOS) phones someday, then perhaps it's up for consideration.

I've been using Qriocity since it launched on the free trial month. It is very slick. I just think £9.99 is too much, they need to make it £6.99 and then I will buy into it. The £3.99 package sounds pretty crap tbh, but then I never really liked free Spotify because there was no customisation.

Qriocity is going places, and by next year we won't recognise PSN. :oops:

It's pretty easy to use, but they need to have a better search. It's pretty good on PS3, as good as it is going to get. It is a universal UI, but it works best on a touch screen. The Android app is really good, and adding songs to your library and making playlists is trivial on a touch screen.

https://music.qriocity.com/

If you can try out the PC web-app outside of the UK then it is over there. It works like iTunes basically, make a playlist, sync locally stored playlists, songs and albums to your library.

We tried Qriocity on the PS3 today. Your company helped to develop this ? It's pretty well done. I prefer a minimalist look (like XMB and Apple's UI) to Qriocity's closeup water background, but usability-wise it's indeed very easy and rather fun to use. The sound quality seems good too for the songs we played. Are all the songs using the same encoding format and quality ?

The press announcement said "launching on PS3, Internet Bravias and select Blu-ray players simultaneously", I hooked up my Bravia to the net for the first time today, but couldn't find anyway to download Qriocity. Do you know if it's been launched for Bravia too ?

EDIT: My wife wants more info on the subscription. Do you know if I can subscribe for one month on and off ? Also, what exactly are the differences between Premium and Basic ? There are some descriptions but they didn't list the premium channels.

We don't contribute to development. Our remit is more strategy, planning and content deals. We contributed a lot to the decision making, but nothing to the the programming.

You Bravia can only use Qriocity if it is 'Bravia Internet TV' enabled. If you bought your TV prior to 2009 then it won't be able to access Qriocity. It doesn't have the ability or internal software to use the Internet TV platform.

I think it is monthly, but don't quote me on that...

We don't contribute to development. Our remit is more strategy, planning and content deals. We contributed a lot to the decision making, but nothing to the the programming.

I see. Then my feedback will mostly go under radar. :)

I was thinking besides adding downloadable music (in addition to pure streaming), the other missing thing is SenseMe feedback. Kaz Hirai acknowledged the former feature as "may be next time", but the latter I feel is important to tell me whether SenseMe has learned my preferences/taste correctly.

At the moment, I think Music Unlimited will only show me the current song SenseMe delivered. I'd love to be able to browse through all the songs (in the current category) SenseMe thinks I like, before playing them. Do you know if there's a way to do it now ?

There should also be a category for user recommended music (e.g., for different scenarios not found in Music Unlimited. e.g., Road Trip music). ^_^

You Bravia can only use Qriocity if it is 'Bravia Internet TV' enabled. If you bought your TV prior to 2009 then it won't be able to access Qriocity. It doesn't have the ability or internal software to use the Internet TV platform.

I think it is monthly, but don't quote me on that...

Ok, I'll find out somehow.

EDIT: Forgot to mention lyrics. Gracenote should have a lot of info, including lyrics, for each song right ?

Also, what exactly are the differences between Premium and Basic ? There are some descriptions but they didn't list the premium channels.

From what I read Premium is like Zune, where you can stream whatever music you want whenever you want.

Basic is set "radio station" like channels which each have their own playlist. So you can choose which channel to listen to, but can't choose what title or artist to listen to whenever you want.

So Basic would be like subscribing to Sirius Satellite Radio, except it's over the internet.

Regards,
SB

I played with music.qriocity.com this afternoon. Login using the PSN id. It can sync my existing music collection on the Mac and make them accessible on the PS3.

About the DRM, I can play on both the Mac and PS3 at the same time. I believe I cannot play on 2 PS3s (with the same PSN account) simultaneously. [strike]Got kicked out when my son played Qriocity using my PSN account on my friend's PS3 elsewhere.[/strike]. [False alarm. Got kicked out once may be due to network connection]

patsu said:
At the moment, I think Music Unlimited will only show me the current song SenseMe delivered. I'd love to be able to browse through all the songs (in the current category) SenseMe thinks I like, before playing them. Do you know if there's a way to do it now ?

Found the answer on the Mac. On PS3, press R1 repeatedly to see the next songs SenseMe lined up. On the Mac/PC, there is a right button at the top screen to go through the entire sequence of songs SenseMe queued.

Will try to access music.qriocity.com on an Android device next. Even though it's not officially launched yet. I may be able to play from the website already (It's Flash streaming).

From what I read Premium is like Zune, where you can stream whatever music you want whenever you want.

Basic is set "radio station" like channels which each have their own playlist. So you can choose which channel to listen to, but can't choose what title or artist to listen to whenever you want.

So Basic would be like subscribing to Sirius Satellite Radio, except it's over the internet.

Similar. I did more digging. Premium service has an additional channel. You can track/find the most popular songs easily (Global Top 100, Local Top 100, Hottest Songs, etc.). You can also search, manage and play individual songs as you mentioned.

I remember reading somewhere that the Premium Service has more selection of songs, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

The selection is around 10m songs in the catalogue. You can manually search the catalogue and add songs to your library by pressing /_\ then X on an album or song.

Ok, that's for Premium ? In earlier interviews, Sony mentioned 6 million songs for a start. I assume that would be for the Regular service ?

I read somewhere that iTunes has 12 millions. Not too shabby compared to the behemoth and multi-year headstart.

Regards,
SB
Don't you get 10 or 15 downloads per month with Zune so that even if you cancel your sub, you still get to keep those songs?

Yap, for $5 extra every month, you can get Zune Pass and keep 10 songs per month.

Also found out that I can get Qriocity month by month from the XMB app.

EDIT: Navigation of the Premium channel is a little awkward. Pressing right dpad key and R1 give similar but different outcome. It may need a better way to demarcate Top X song history and the current Top X songs.

Oh interesting, they removed the option for yearly membership at 120 USD, maybe that was just a promo offer. Yearly still comes in at a slight discount over regular monthly at ~12.50 USD a month though.

Regards,
SB

Sony talks more about its plans for Qriocity...
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/indu...ty-music-service-launches-in-1005040052.story

First, Schaaf and crew fully intend to create both Android and iPhone apps to access the service, and while he didn't say so explicitly it's very likely those migrations will include tablets running on their respective operating systems as well. He also mentioned an interest in extending the service into automobiles and other non-Sony devices by utilizing the distribution power of the app ecosystem.

Sony is also considering opening the Qriocity service to other app developers through open APIs, similar to how Pandora and MOG make their platforms available to other developers and device manufacturers.

"Take all our other partners combined and multiply it by 15," said Omnifone CEO Rob Lewis on the sidelines of the press conference about the opportunity this now provides.

Expect at least the mobile app element, if not some of these other features, to appear once the service makes its way to the U.S., something Schaaf says will happen sometime in the first quarter. The licenses are already there. Delaying the U.S. launch is simply a strategic decision to let Sony test out how it's being used and what problems need to be fixed in European markets before jumping the pond with it.

... and why no strong marketing push yet:

Publicly, Sony says it wants to first focus on bringing the streaming music experience into the home via the home entertainment systems where it has a strong footprint. Sony Network Entertainment executive VP and COO Shawn Layden say the vast majority of Music Unlimited customers so far have come via the PS3.

"That's where the early adopter lives," he says.

However Sony is still not ready to go big with the "hundreds of millions" of marketing dollars that Sony Network Entertainment president Tim Schaaf at Midem promised would support the launch. Layden explains that Sony wants to take some time to identify any technical problems, add new tracks to the catalog, and so on before making much noise.

"With a product launch, you spend your mountain of money in the first three weeks it hits the shelf to get momentum," says Layden. "With something like Music Unlimited, which is a service, you first begin the service, and then roll out your plans for marketing. We'll be spending more money marketing MU six months from launch than the first day of launch."

I read somewhere that iTunes has 12 millions. Not too shabby compared to the behemoth and multi-year headstart.
Can't pretty much any Joe release on iTunes these days? There are a lot of indie titles fleshing out those millions. 6 million songs sounds like a very strong 'real' library of core, popular artists. It'd need Sony to open up self publishing to take the library further.

I am not sure how they all count the number of songs. Even within Qriocity, we have 2 numbers: 6 million vs 10 million songs. I don't think iTunes' 12 million count the podcasts and other user content. Should only include so-called premium contents.

Probably. They have more lead time to negotiate the songs from different countries too though.

Are Audibles exclusive to iTunes ? Would be great if we can get those on PS Suite. I don't think they count under the song library.

Redbox overtook NetFlix in disc rental in January:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/redbox/npd-redbox-led-all-january-rentals-22060

During January, Redbox accounted for about 35% of the DVD rental market in the United States, the first time the kiosk operator has taken the overall lead in physical media rentals, according to market research firm NPD Group.

Netflix accounted for roughly 30% of the market, with brick-and-mortar stores also accounting for roughly 30%. Independent video stores accounted for most of the remaining 5%.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/combo-packs-threaten-blu-ray-disc-production-23217

Increased studio new-release combo packs incorporating Blu-ray Disc, DVD and digital copy is “dangerously” taxing global Blu-ray production facilities, according to a new report.

Global pre-recorded Blu-ray Disc production topped 400 million units in 2010, a near 60% increase from 240 million units in 2009, according to Futuresource Consulting.

The London-based research firm said when factoring in Sony PlayStation 3 video game titles, Blu-ray Disc production should approach 2 billion units by 2014.

Indeed, total domestic consumer spending in 2010 on Blu-ray Disc software rose 53.3%, to $2.3 billion in 2010 from $1.5 billion in 2009, with purchases up 68%, to $1.8 billion from just over $1 billion, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group.

Bottoms said that by the fourth quarter of this year, BD capacity utilization would average more than 80% in North America and more than 75% in Europe. He believes increased use of combo packs for major new releases could incur production backlogs and compromise street dates.

The report found that retailers continue to maintain copy depths in stores, adding momentum to the BD format through strong promotions and the elimination of out-of-stocks and lost sales. It said the launch of 3D Blu-ray titles represents a long-term opportunity and production challenge for the industry to further sustain consumer interest in packaged entertainment media.

“Collectively, across the United States and Europe, the industry needs to invest more than $100 million in new plant and equipment this year in addition to upgrading older replication lines, in order to be able to meet the disc requirements of the content community,” Bottoms said. “The studios will try to press ahead wherever possible to alleviate some of the pressure, but even with this level of investment, [the fourth quarter] is still going to present some peak season challenges to avoid missing street dates on some of the key titles.”

I checked out http://eu.playstation.com from my PS3. While the layout is DS3 and 1080p friendly, it's largely a content site for now. We should see more social network features (like FaceBook) later on.
Is this still working for people? I get the old website, and every time I enter eu.playstation.com, I'm taken to PS3-SD.uk.playstation.com. I'm outputting 1080p.

Back