A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

I just read Netflix is wanting to get everywhere :
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has said that the company intends to offer its service across a majority of home entertainment, including Sony and Nintendo consoles.
"Eventually we want to be on all the game consoles, all the Blu-ray players, all the internet TVs," Hastings told Reuters.

Yes, I heard a report of this on some Internet video news. It mentioned that once the exclusivity agreement with Xbox 360 expires, Netflix is interested to take their service everywhere, including all the consoles.

I wonder if there'd be some enforced surcharge if it came to the PS3.

Why would there be? Aside from the Netflix membership fee, that it. Just because MS has some stick up their butt about "adding value" to their Gold service doesn't mean everyone else should have to pay.

Why would there be? Aside from the Netflix membership fee, that it. Just because MS has some stick up their butt about "adding value" to their Gold service doesn't mean everyone else should have to pay.

We all pay for bandwidth on PSN. So if Netflix gets a free pass on bandwidth, then there will be many pissed publishers out there, especially when Netflix will be using the lions share of said bandwidth. If they don't get a free pass then Netflix will have to pay it, and given how much bandwidth they use it could be a substantial cost. So the question really comes down to will they absorb the cost, or pass the costs to you.

Different concept. Developers pay for bandwidth fees to Sony because certain things are hosted on their servers ? The cost is not transferred directly to the end users as far as I see.

What he's talking about is end user fees. If Netflix hosts all its content, they can work out other compensation methods (e.g., rev share + monthly "market access" fee to Sony). But the cost may or may not be transferred to the end users.

We all pay for bandwidth on PSN. So if Netflix gets a free pass on bandwidth, then there will be many pissed publishers out there, especially when Netflix will be using the lions share of said bandwidth.
? :???: Does the BBC pay Sony for people viewing iPlayer? Netflix would just have to be an application on PS3, like iPlayer, that CE-10 encoder, Folding, etc.

The only conflict I see is surely Sony want to distribute content through their channels. Netflix will be at odds with PSN Store movie rentals. Sony will want a cut from somewhere.

I presume it's the same as many an audio editor, interpolating at a higher frequency and possibly dithering the output if they use a greater sample depth beyond 16 bit.

This is the way on how I’ve managed to upscale my 128Kbps-320Kbps MP3 to a la CD-like audio quality.

Oh yeah?? I don't think so.

Increasing the sampling rate, and adding any additional bits won't change over the digital source file. The only thing I can perceive coming out of this, would be an increase in dB range. I'll gladly stand corrected, if someone can prove otherwise.

Well, I'm not discrediting said feature. I have it on. I haven't been able to notice any additional noise introduction or any negative artifacts. I was more curious on what's actually going on in real time.

It's available in some portable media players too, probably same Ol' (and controversial) DSP "fill-in-the-missing-bits" trick.

Is there anybody here still using PlayOn? Anybody been using the latest version that includes support for your own media & plug-ins? I've mainly delegated the software to a purely Hulu service. Contemplating taking advantage of the newer features though. Just wondering if it's worth the effort.

Tommy McClain

Oh yeah?? I don't think so.

Increasing the sampling rate, and adding any additional bits won't change over the digital source file. The only thing I can perceive coming out of this, would be an increase in dB range. I'll gladly stand corrected, if someone can prove otherwise.

The 44.1 to 48khz is one of those things i feel bad about, it´s not a clear upsample, it´s akward.I would never expect it to sound better.

The 44.1 to 88.2 or 176.4 should sound better. And thing about not being able to browse XMB while using 44.1 is clearly a bug, it never was that like before.

The 44.1 to 88.2 or 176.4 should sound better. And thing about not being able to browse XMB while using 44.1 is clearly a bug, it never was that like before.

Incorrect. When audio upsampling was first introduced into the firmware, it only worked on disc based sources. This wasn't compatible with XMB multi-tasking either, but since most people play back music from the HDD while browsing, they wouldn't have noticed before.

I hate saying this, but I find people's comments about audio upscaling a bit naive. We know that the DVD upscaling is pretty good, many people claim they can't even tell the difference between DVD upscaling and BD playback. Now while I think that's overstating it, it's clear that the image quality can be improved through upscaling. If you look at sound-waves, wouldn't you think that it could in fact be just as easy or even easier to upscale this? If anything can be improved in quality by 'adding bits' surely a lot of music can be enhanced a fair bit by upscaling.

For me personally, initially I was struck by the difference in quality between playing back an original CD, and playing back the version I copied to the HDD. At some point I realised this was because back then the upsampling wasn't applied to HDD sources. Even now I can clearly hear the difference, and I'd be surprised if most people on this forum can't with even a modestly decent sound system or headphones.

I also believe that if you have a 5.1 surround set, then even if it only supports 44.1 inputs, the upscaling to 5.1 means it can theoretically upscale the audio resolution by a factor of 3 (6 channels versus 2).

While Sony may not have the face to charge for such a service, it definately eats from their paid content service.

In fact I'd say the value of Netflix for Sony is highly debatable.
Who knows, maybe by the time Netflix is free of MS, they may even have a proper alternative (doubthful of course, given the speed of Sony).

Back