A comparison of motion blur implementations *spawn

Imo (as I've mentioned once previously in this thread) a motion blur's quality is more than just whether it has minimal artifacting or not. For instance SFV has relatively artifact free MB but it blurs a large body portion rather than just the part in motion and it also blurs even when the object isn't really moving very fast. A good MB would not only minimise artifacting but also factor in the speed and the variation in that speed, so say if Ryu is throwing a punch then his chest would not really get blurred because it isn't moving very fast, his biceps would receive motion blur but still the intensity wouldn'tbe as much but his fist i.e. the body part that covers the largest area and moves the fastest would receive the heaviest motion blur.

It sounds like it'd be a complicated mess but there are games that do it already, I believe even MGS5 does it despite the fact that it does have a bit more artifacting compared to some other games.

I think Bloodborne handles it quite well too. It's not artifact free either, but it only blurs things which are actually in motion. It certainly looks convincing in motion, and that is what counts.

bloodborne_bibiblocksberg.jpg

Yes the main character has to move very quickly in order to activate the blur in Bloodborne. You don't see it when you run for instance (neither the full screen in this case).

Contrary to MGS5 where both are easily noticeable when you run, and both blurs are badly implemented too.

Well (as far as Single Player campaign is concerned) Advanced Warfare actually has the most stable framerate out of any COD ever released till date on any consoles.
I think we may be talking about differnt games, I'm talking about the recent COD game from a couple of months ago, that is shown in the pictures a few posts before my post, and also had a bad framerate IIRC.

I think we may be talking about differnt games, I'm talking about the recent COD game from a couple of months ago, that is shown in the pictures a few posts before my post, and also had a bad framerate IIRC.
The one in the pictures is Advanced Warfare from 2014, with Kevin Spacey.
The one you are talking about is Black Ops 3, they pushed the graphics and scale a bit too much in that causing unstable performance.

Shots from Uncharted 4 MP stress test beta that I captured mere minutes ago:

uncharted4multiplayerxjjb4.png

uncharted4multiplayertgj6m.png

uncharted4multiplayertsjyq.png

Shots feature low-res blur artefacts around chars/objects, but I really cannot spot them during [great] gameplay. :)

Is it the same environments we had a few months back?

I don't know if it's the aa or the motion blur or what, but the iq of the Uncharted 4 beta is absolutely horrible when taking moving screenshots. I am comparing it to the uncharted 2 ps4 demo.
pJej5L.png

k9QErQ.png

CvPtk4.png

YnptFL.png

n34a8T.png

Si6Ibu.png

Not as noticeable in motion but still...

I also like the motion blur in type 0, it's certainly much better than the mb in SFV. How do you know bloodborne uses yebis 2 and how taxing is it? More games should start using it.
It's listed here:
http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/en/

I don't know if it's the aa or the motion blur or what, but the iq of the Uncharted 4 beta is absolutely horrible when taking moving screenshots. I am comparing it to the uncharted 2 ps4 demo.
pJej5L.png

k9QErQ.png

CvPtk4.png

YnptFL.png

n34a8T.png

Si6Ibu.png

It does look pretty disgraceful.

While it's on in every cutscene, it must be noted that Advanced Warfare completely turned off object as well as camera motion blur during gameplay segments outside of a select few instances such as the Car chase, the Antarctic cave (I think it was Antarctic)...basically when the play area is extremely small or when the section is on rails.

The drone swarm from the first level for example has zero object motion blur despite an earlier pre-release E3 showcase from that year having it on (but the game was also running at 40-45FPS in that showcase)
I just booted the game up on ps4 and it does have some motion blur when you change weapons or use the boost if you catch it at the right time.
sveUi7.png

RfM3gS.png

It's listed here:
http://www.siliconstudio.co.jp/middleware/yebis/en/

It does look pretty disgraceful.
No wonder the mb looked so different compared to other 3rd person games. Thanks

The main problem with the blur in UC4 is that the effect is way to heavy. It's too much.

UC trilogy uses it in a more sensible way, the effect is much more light than in UC4, you can turn the camera without feeling nauseous. And you can even turn it off in the options anyways (both per-object and screen).

Their AA is to blame, it's frying things up. There's also a hint of sharpening in the beta which makes things worse in stills. On the other hand the stress test build is the exact same one from early December so there's still hope for Uncharted 4 MP come release. Their AA on SP looks considerably better but still produces some artifacts. I'd take TAA any day of the week over awful shimmering though, the beta looks really clean in motion.

Edit: You can almost count the number of frames their AA takes into account, it seems around 10 (which is pretty high, UE4 TAA is using 6 at the highest preset iirc).

1gesb2.jpg

And that's why you never actually see aliasing in the game (at least i never noticed in over 30 hours of play), but you can see artifacting in almost every picture in motion. Weird thing is, you barely notice it when playing, it looks really clean. Example in motion: https://gfycat.com/ImpossibleMerryBlueandgoldmackaw

Last edited:
Update: I was correct in calling out the TAA in Uncharted 4 as the culprit, just out of curiosity I've watched this demo from Epic again

Higher quality here: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_unreal_engine_open_world_video-16335_en.html

The AA used in that video exibits most of the issues seen in the recent Uncharted 4 footage (although more exaggerated), pictures:
1v2sut.jpg

222sbv.jpg

3fjsrp.jpg

45fs2b.jpg

Very similar issues although ND seem to have iterated on it and improved it a lot since E3 (as have Epic almost certainly). And the Kite video is running on a Titan X so hardware is certainly not the issue here :p

To be honest, i prefer the super clean look in motion that their technique provides! It's certainly an interesting topic, temporal stability over static image quality?

Last edited:
Back