6800 demo's now avaliable

Heh interesting how no Nalu demo. Kinda like they don't want to happen with Nalu what happened with Dawn (doesn't really look like it would be that hard just to rewrite the shaders that use dynamical branching speed would be hurt of course though if someone could write a wrapper which converts branches into using the stencil buffer like with Humus's demo that would be nice).

That's strange - you would think that of all the demos, Nalu is the one that all the NV40 owners would want to get. It's what Nvidia would want people to be showing to their friends to show how great NV40 and SM3.0 is.

Is Nvidia really *that* scared of another ATI wrapper running Nalu faster/better and showing that SM3.0 on NV40 is a case of the Emperor's new clothes?

Yes, the current unavailability of a demo is simply because they're scared of people writing wrappers. There can be no other explanation.

Zeross said:
When I first checked this link this afternoon Nalu was available, I guess it was taken off the site.

Yeap, it even had Nalu and Timbury v1.1... So I guess that the wrapper rumors is really a rumor ;)

Obviously it's bug fixes. When they write these things to run on the demo machines, they only have to write and test them on one machine. They don't need to run them on any other hardware (motherboards, CPUs, etc.). Since then, they have obviously had to do more testing and whatnot to work the kinks out.

The wrapper idea is just, well, silly.

Heh, btw I was being sarcastic about the wrapper leading to Nalu being faster on the Radeons :p

Guess thats what happens when I don't use smileys ;)

Yeah unfortunately nVidia have taken them down again, but they were all there when I posted.

Hopefully someone downloaded them and can host them.

Cryect said:
Heh, btw I was being sarcastic about the wrapper leading to Nalu being faster on the Radeons :p

Guess thats what happens when I don't use smileys ;)

Well it does sound silly until you remember what happened with Dawn. I'm sure it seemed pretty silly to Nvidia - right up until that wrapper came out.

Anyone know where I can get the source code to an OpenGL wrapper? I don't know all the specifics of intercepting OpenGL calls in a custom version of opengl32.dll and making new calls to the real opengl32.dll.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Well it does sound silly until you remember what happened with Dawn. I'm sure it seemed pretty silly to Nvidia - right up until that wrapper came out.

Dawn = NV3x
Nalu = NV4x

You go figure out why you can't just automagically make the same assumptions. :?

Humus said:
Check out GLIntercept. Very good GL intercepting tool, with source available.
Very cool!

I've never really programmed in OpenGL before, so this looks like an excellent project to get me up to speed. It'll be quite challenging though. I think I should get someone with a NV40 to send me a working log first, and then I'll get cracking if I'm not too intimidated.

Back