60% of Vista to be rewritten?

They never rewrote anything from scratch. What they did was use XP SP2 as base and then went back and used Windows 2003 SP1 as base porting the code over.

And no I don't believe this story has any merit (or rather the source) or the "60% of code" doesn't mean what we think it means. There is no way you can rewrite even half the code in windows and still ship in Jan 2007. Even more telling is that the business-oriented versions of Vista will still ship in November of this year. Business and consumer versions share a lot more than 40% of the code.

Even if in some strange way what they meant was actually "we'll rewrite some core parts that affect 60% of the code" then yeah, I could just barely see that happening.

When it says rewrite, it probably means lightly refactor (for the most part). I expect MS will want to do as much refactoring as possible before release so the whole thing is easier to manage after. Then again the article could just be a complete load of nonsens and I'm not even sure it's worth speculateing on. :smile:

For me this sound more like 40% of all API Owners have already reach the “Zero bug bounceâ€￾ and checked in the code for the RTM version. All other (the 60%) have still open bugs and this code need some more work.

Demirug said:
For me this sound more like 40% of all API Owners have already reach the “Zero bug bounceâ€￾ and checked in the code for the RTM version. All other (the 60%) have still open bugs and this code need some more work.

Yeah, I said a less techie version of this is another thread. :LOL: Do you think that's the level they group at? API? There are some core functions too, right? How many items at this level would we guess there are?

geo said:
Yeah, I said a less techie version of this is another thread. :LOL: Do you think that's the level they group at? API? There are some core functions too, right? How many items at this level would we guess there are?

I have heard from some persons at Microsoft that every team is responsible for some API functions. The kernel itself exports many API functions, too. One set for the subsystems, another for the drivers and at least a special set for file systems. Even the HAL that is below the Kernel have a kind of API. Most of this is documented somewhere in the msdn library or the msdn2 lib for all the new WinFX stuff.

i read there will be no 64bit version of it like with XP. hell i thought it was all 64 bit! so we're sticking with 32bit for the next half decade?

Cartoon Corpse said:
i read there will be no 64bit version of it like with XP. hell i thought it was all 64 bit! so we're sticking with 32bit for the next half decade?

AFAIK they DVD will contain both versions (32 and 64 bit) and will install the right version for your CPU.

Anyway I know there is a 64 Bit version because I have the ISO.

Zen, the Art of actually releasing a new OS while incompetent, and making money.

Back