3DS thoughts and discussion buy or epic fail!

I'll pass the dual screen concept is old now that phone comes standard with touch screen.
I also find the use of the stiletto outdated.
The main screen is also too tiny.

The stiletto will never be outdated. They have remained a fashion item since at least the 1930's. They, like the bikini are probably what you'd have to consider timeless! Now, are you sure you didn't lie about what country you're from?! :LOL:

The main screen is also too tiny.

That's a good point - I don't know how big the new screen is, but I may have to hold out for the XL at least if I want to consider media functions - I noticed that the size of the iPhone screen is too small for comfortable dual eye viewing (I end up viewing it with one eye), and I'm back to the PSP for all my portable video watching.

Though who knows, the size of the screen will be less of a bother for 3D, as you can focus a little deeper into the screen?

For the things that DS is known for, 3D isn't a game-changer but a novelty. I personally wouldn't call that 'getting it right,' designing a 3D platform that isn't ideally suited for immersive 3D gaming.
I would actually call you out on this, because 3D in sporadic but constant sessions would exactly be ideal for gaming since it would not give that much eyestrain as opposed to one giant 4 hour sit-down. "Immersive" is rather subjective since I have had many "deep" playing sessions with my DS and a host of traditional gameplay software (Retro Game Challenge) that didn't not require me to dedicate and invest a huge amount of time, but nonetheless reward me for every minuite I spent with it.

The 3D aspect works in its favour here. Small but constant chunks are just as good if not better than by-the-hour dedication gameplay since they're less likely to give burnout for both the game and the eyes. (Not to mention it fits well with the portable nature.)
Also I'm not convinced 3D will lead to deeper games. DS had some great titles because of the touch interface. 3D allows you to perceive depth which is nice, but perspective cameras means much of the gameplay for 3D has existed for decades. Paper Mario will look far cooler, but be no deeper.
That's because Paper Mario is traditionally an RPG? I would actually look to MGS3D or perhaps that platformer that demonstrated depth perception as integral to the gameplay. Only time will tell if people will utilize it the same way developers eventually got the hang of the DS for the touchscreen usage (optional touch screen or Pad driven menu).

FYI, the screen size is apparently comparable to that of a DSi (non-XL). Considering that's larger than a Lite's, and the upper 3D screen is much wider, I don't see much problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back