3DMark05’s Shadow Engine - detect hardware PCF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't. It detects deviceid AFAIK, not CAPs for this particular feature. Like most games do.

Your assumption of "if (NV Card)" is probably correct.

Most likely they simply check whether DEPTHSTENCIL can be used as a texture, and then whether filtering is supported for that texture format (or just set bilinear anyway).

Reverend said:
It doesn't. It detects deviceid AFAIK, not CAPs for this particular feature. Like most games do.

Your assumption of "if (NV Card)" is probably correct.

Completely wrong.
DST is a set of texture formats, which you can query with standard DirectX9 calls.
You can also see if bilinear filtering is available on these textureformats. If they are, you have PCF.
Check with the DX9 SDK Caps Viewer on an NVIDIA card. Even though there's no NV-specific code, the Caps Viewer flawlessly reports everything you need to know about DST/PCF.

And it is definitely not going to be if (NV Card) because other IHVs also support it. You will see that the DST path will also work on these other IHVs.

Well, I was simply thinking of just DST and not PCF. SO SORRY for the unacceptable overlook.

[edit]Ah, someone removed your disrespectful post. Oh well.

Scali said:
And it is definitely not going to be if (NV Card) because other IHVs also support it. You will see that the DST path will also work on these other IHVs.
Ok, I'll bite...you keep talking about the "other IHVs" supporting DST, do you know who they are or are you just trying to act like you know who they are? :|

digitalwanderer said:
Ok, I'll bite...you keep talking about the "other IHVs" supporting DST, do you know who they are or are you just trying to act like you know who they are? :|

Yes, I do.

Here is a question .

Does 3dmark 2005 support ati's instancing ? Or is this another vender specific feature that even though it only takes a few lines to support you wont support ?

jvd said:
Here is a question .

Does 3dmark 2005 support ati's instancing ? Or is this another vender specific feature that even though it only takes a few lines to support you wont support ?

3dm05 doesn't support/need instancing

tEd said:
jvd said:
Here is a question .

3dm05 doesn't support/need instancing

So 3dm05 doesn't use instancing at all ?

So they feel instancing isn't a future trend in video games ?

Er, to be fair, you only use GI when there's a need for it depending on the type of content in a game. 3DMark05 does have such content where instancing really helps.

Reverend said:
Er, to be fair, you only use GI when there's a need for it depending on the type of content in a game. 3DMark05 does have such content where instancing really helps.

I just find it odd that new dx 9 features are not being used while other old non dx 9 features are being used.

jvd said:
Reverend said:

I just find it odd that new dx 9 features are not being used while other old non dx 9 features are being used.
I think that's generalizing too much. I don't think 3DMark05 can or should use/exploit every API feature, not in Game Tests that is supposed to be a game-development crystal ball. To show off the benefits of certain API features that benefits performance (and not quality) like GI, it may be better to use 3DMark's feature test.

Anyway, this thread appears to have answered the thread author's question and the last few posts are OT. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back