3D-modeled stuff in games: when?

SvP

Newcomer
I wonder when game developers started using 3D modeling programs to develop the models for using in games?

I think that for the first 3D games (Descent, Doom etc.) some kind of in-house modeler was used? But now it is common to model stuff in Maya/Lightwave and import the models for use in game editors. When did the switch occur?

Is the content for RPG-style games built the same way now?

Probably because tools like Maya and 3d Studio Max are dedicated applications where the developers have had many, many years to develop a great interface and design tools. Why try and recreate what is already a good thing? The only reason would be to provide a basically free alternative to those expensive apps, but with the entry of free versions like GMax and Maya Personal Learning Edition that reason is fast becoming irrelevant. It's far easier for a developer to simply build model conversion tools for those formats.

I don't know when it exactly became common, but I believe some developers even used 3d Studio when it was a dos program. i.e. before the name change to 3d studio max.

Doesn't 3d studio now offer a "free" version for bundling with games, made specifically for user content?

Back