3D Gaming*

Good point. The movies are partially funded by the manufacturers.

Meanwhile...
http://www.hometechtell.com/hometec...le-bd-java-3D-menus-subtitles-simultaneously/

Gamers looking forward to using the PlayStation 3 as a 3D Blu-ray player could be faced with a few limitations when the system’s BD 3D capabilities go live in October.

A piece in the Blu-ray 3D spec contains language that indicates the PS3 cannot handle 3D playback and BD-J at the same time:

As defined in Part 3-1 Section 8.2.4, the Existing Game Console does not support the BD-J application environment during Stereoscopic Output Mode. Therefore, in order to maintain compatibility with the Existing Game Console, the First Playback Title will be authored such that:

1) it will not execute a BD-J application that depends on Stereoscopic Output Mode for successful execution; and

2) it will execute a BD-J or HDMV application that, when run on a 3D Game Console, directly or indirectly(*) activates an HDMV Title to play the relevant Stereoscopic PlayList(s) in Stereoscopic Mode.

The document goes on to describe how developers can fake 3D menus and subtitles using 2D with a 3D depth value (“1plane+offset”), instead of a true 3D experience.

The main CPU core takes care of the 1080p video decode while the 8 smaller ones have plenty of bandwidth to handle lossless audio and BD-Java. When you introduce the load of a second 1080p stream to the mix, something has to go and it looks like it’s going to be BD-Java. Of course, there is a possibility that by refining and optimizing their code Sony may be able to add these features in the future, but as it stands it’s not looking good. While this may be a cause for celebration for some home theater enthusiasts who are always annoyed by Java loading time, I have to wonder how this will affect Fox’s output, since for them Java-based BD+ copy protection is mandatory.

I reckon the BD+ copy protection only runs at the beginning to authorize the playback.

I have a couple of 1080p 3D rips on my PC and they tax the CPU like you wouldn't believe. The bit rate isn't even that high and I still get random choppiness on a i7-930 with the nvidia stereo player. It is strange, because I can load up the left and right stream (non-stereo) with minimal overhead but once I turn on 3D my CPU usage flies off the chart. Knowing that, I doubt we'll see 3d playback on the ps3.

I have a couple of 1080p 3D rips on my PC and they tax the CPU like you wouldn't believe. The bit rate isn't even that high and I still get random choppiness on a i7-930 with the nvidia stereo player. It is strange, because I can load up the left and right stream (non-stereo) with minimal overhead but once I turn on 3D my CPU usage flies off the chart. Knowing that, I doubt we'll see 3d playback on the ps3.

Well, clearly we will except with the limitations posted below. Worst case I suspect it may be limited to 720p rather than not supported at all. I'll bet though that the code for the PS3 version will be better and more optimised than the one you're running now on your PC, and that it will run 1080p but with the BD-J limitations as stated below.

The Cell can eat that pretty easily.

Incidentally while picking up the Move in mediamarkt yesterday I talked a little with someone from the store about the number of 3D Games and if they shouldn't setup a 3D TV with the Playstation 3 and some 3D games, even more so when Gran Turismo 5 comes out. He thought it was an interesting and good idea, though he might still (seriously) not do it out of worry to have to manage long lines of people wanting to try it out. Particularly also managing the glasses, etc. he thought would be a pain for having a lot of different users try it out. They do the same right now with 3D tvs and movies mind - unlike some stores they do a pretty decent job of this right now, where they always keep the glasses stored away and charged until someone asks to try, rather than leaving them out there to run out of batteries, get mangled or whatever. Still, it could end up being yet another limitation of the appeal of 3D using glasses.

Oh god forbid somebody at a Media Markt actually has to work for once. Usually the dudes scatter like roaches if you so much as look into their general direction.

Aren't all existing bluray players (ps3 included) capable of playing back two full 1080p streams simultaneously, one for the main movie and a second for optional commentary? If that's the case then the ps3 will have no problem with it.

Yeah I think 101998 meant his PC can process the left and right 1080p streams fine. But when combined together in a 3D presentation, his CPU utilization shot up.

However, if his tests involved playing the 2 1080p streams one at a time, then it should be a non-issue for PS3. We already know it can play 2 streams fine since launch.

According to Sony conference live blogs, Firmware 3.5 will add 3D Blu-ray support in late October (21 October)

EDIT: Wait a minute, some are reporting 21st September. Oh well... we'll get official confirmation soon enough.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ort-coming-to-playstation-3-system-next-week/

We’ve announced that the PS3 system will be able to play back 3D content on Blu-ray 3D discs with the next system software update (v.3.50), slated for release on September 21.

While support for Blu-ray 3D discs is the primary new feature within the 3.50 update, there will be a few additional features. We’ll post more details on the blog prior to the firmware’s release, so check back here on Monday.

Yes, nice surprise that it's pushed forward. Now we'll be able to find out if it is 1080p or 720p soon enough. ;)

1080p 24 hz 3d isnt possible or something?

If you read this thread a few posts down, you will see that there are some doubters. And there was a rumor way back when that because of HDMI 1.3, the PS3 would only support 720p 3D.

I personally don't expect there to be problems however except maybe with the BD-J being able to author user interface graphics in 3D overlays of a playing 3D movie as was briefly hinted at. I could imagine this to be a problem to have BD-J runtime do that kind of thing within the memory constraints of the PS3?

oh, I thought Sony already said to developers that they can do 1080p 3d but only limited to 24 Hz, which is not recommended. But ya for the BD-J part, would like to see if PS3 can still be a fully supported BD player.

Considering the PS3's h264 decoder can happily run 1080p60 (albeit rendered at 1080i) via AVCHD, I'm struggling to see why it would have any issue with what is effectively 1080p48.

This is news to me:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23374263&postcount=57

They said 3D would be possible for photos this year as well.

Turns out it (well, the basis) was already implemented in 3.40 and it's now available via a XMB app.

"PlayMemories" is a free download, currently only available in the jp and asia stores but it's already in english.

it expands the photo viewing capabilities on the PS3 to:

- view 3D photos
- view Multiangle photos

This is the online manual which basically shows what you can do with it:
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/...mories/3d.html

The poster also reminded us of 3D Youtube. :cool:

Back