[360] Splinter Cell: Conviction

One day, some new neighbours arrived to the neighbourhood... (since caps are not allowed, I will bold the following) and the shitty granny stoped caring about her grandchildren and started modifiying her apple pie recipe to the point that it didn't even contain apple, although she still said that it was apple pie!!!!!

Tears in my eyes reading that....

I think you've made us all take a moment to think.

By the way...

Tears in my eyes reading that....

I think you've made us all take a moment to think.

By the way, it is implied that the granny started cooking for the new neighbours, of course. That's why she stoped caring about their grandchildren. Disgusting. :no:

I know you made that post quite a days ago but I had a chance to play the game today & I wanted to let you know that the level memorization in SCC is multiplied by x10 compared to old games since there are areas in the game where you just have to do what the game wants you do do. Its not a bad game by any means but I'll tell you that its the worst in the series if you asked me.(its still the most hyped, & hence ++ scores)

What like shoot the flashing chandelier stuff and other scripted moments? I have no problem with that as it seems like you now have the chance to nearly always get past enemies with or without stealth in most situations.

And a lot of the main stealth mechanics in the old games felt less like stealthy tactics then prudent game exploits like how you can stuff a dozen bodies into any closet or how the enemies take no notice of a huge plume of black smoke in the middle of a hallway whenever you throw a smoke grenade yet investigate every whistle and coke can they hear and shoot you the second a single toe isn't completely hidden in shadows.

Of course, yes, you can choose to play the game in the actiony way that you could never do before in Splinter Cell because the designers finally realized that a trained super-assassin might know how to use some guns. If you trip an alarm, you'll be in trouble but you can probably deal with it.

My other problem with the old games's stealth is what most people liked about the stealth in them where the very strict, linear mechanics meant the player had to use a little logic to figure out exactly where the enemies would have an opening. They made the AI more dynamic now so you can't really solve it like a maze and I like that change but I can understand if a lot of people don't. Seriously though, it's been a decade so it's time to reboot the series.

The AI is quite stupid here....they still follow patterns only that its falls apart hideously, for instance I raised an alarm at one location & I saw one enemy who was atleast 100 meter away take cover & then pop out to shoot me but instead of shooting he went into cover again & repeated it for 10 times or so until I moved from my place. This actually happens everywhere. IIRC you couldn't hide more than one body in a single closet, that's what Hitman games do not SC :p
I have no problem with that as it seems like you now have the chance to nearly always get past enemies with or without stealth in most situations.
Not really, there are areas where you are out in open & you can't do anything except what the game what's you to do, there are no chandelier to shoot, no stuff to blow only a small area out in open & you have to go through the exact pattern the game wants you to ie. if you want to play stealthy cause guns blazing is a far easier option.
Seriously though, it's been a decade so it's time to reboot the series.
Not that I don't appreciate that, but making a totally simplified & streamlined version of the older series with only 2 approaches to situation (action & Stealth) is certainly not what I expected in a reboot. Double Agent did a lot to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying in roots. Anyways the older version of SC Conviction [one with social stealth] looked far more impressive to me.

I'm tryin to hold out hope, but it doesn't bode well that 1 day before release there are still no reviews, other than IGN.

Gotta scratch my head at the though that Double Agent brought the series forward, it was a MAJOR regression from Chaos Theory. CT almost got away from the trial and error, it was the best game in the series by a mile. Double Agent regressed completely, and brought back the trial and error with a vengence. I absolutely hated that game...well that's not totally true, I enjoyed it at first, but about 2/3 through the game I walked away and never came back....

No studio other than UBI Montreal has ever done this franchise justice...so I am still holding out some hope...

I'm tryin to hold out hope, but it doesn't bode well that 1 day before release there are still no reviews, other than IGN.

Gotta scratch my head at the though that Double Agent brought the series forward, it was a MAJOR regression from Chaos Theory. CT almost got away from the trial and error, it was the best game in the series by a mile. Double Agent regressed completely, and brought back the trial and error with a vengence. I absolutely hated that game...well that's not totally true, I enjoyed it at first, but about 2/3 through the game I walked away and never came back....

No studio other than UBI Montreal has ever done this franchise justice...so I am still holding out some hope...

I posted the Edge and Gamepro reviews above. 8/10 from Edge and 9/10 from Gamepro.

The embargo is up at noon tomorrow.

This game is a lot of fun.

If you like Rainbow Six, you'll love this. It has the great control scheme from RB6. The gameplay is really good and varied. You often have a few good options on how to approach areas. There are certainly times when you must fight but a lot of the longer segments give you the option for full stealth.

The campain is very tense from start to beginning and voice acting is really good for most of the major players. Really like the older guy narrarating during cutscenes. I got into the story to the point I read up the back story from the other games (this is my first SC game).

The campaign is just the beginning. Next you have a co-op campaign which is completely different. It's own story, locations and characters. Get done with that and it's time for Last Stand which is similar to Horde more. This is also co-op. Continuing the co-op theme you have infiltrate and a "terrorist hunt" mode similar to RB6 games.

All in all, you have a lot of different types of game. Each one is quite different to where you don't get gameplay fatigue.

There are a couple of issues with the game. The biggest being the screen going black when you're hidden. If you were awesome at stealth, you'd be playing a black n' white game throughout! which is quite silly because the game does have good graphics which are ruined by this constant effect. They should've applied this effect to your character only or found another way. The other is AI. I can only take them saying the same stuff over and over so many times! This is similar to the RB6 games.

Just started the campaign. I like it a lot more than I thought I would from the demo. So far, I'd say it's solid. The one thing I really really HATE is the switch to black and white. It's not the best looking game around, but it looks alright, but you never get to see it because of the black and white. They should have done something different. To be honest, I think it was a cheaper way to show that you're hidden than having a complex shadow system to hide the player. But it's really annoying. Still very early, and I'm having fun with it. It's a pretty cool feeling when you get through a group of guys without ever being detected.

Playing the co-op campaign with Robert was fun, but the frame rate was horrible for me. I did an install right after we finished playing. Then I started the single player campaign and the frame rate has held up really well. I'm curious to see if I'll still have frame rate problems in co-op. I'm wondering if the frame rate is tied into the netcode. I've seen that with some games. Could also be the install that makes a big improvement.

Older games had a visibility/sound meter & that was just perfect, Double Agent had 3 lights green,yellow & Red which changed according to situation. I still think it'd have been a much better idea had it been only Sam's character which turned black & white when in shadows rather than everything.

And when under a shadow you can easily see most of the things in the dark but as soon as you get out of the shadow you can't see a thing that's in the dark....Tone mapping can't get any more wrong, lol

Is this game 2 or 4-player coop? I loved the R6 games (especially coop Terrorist Hunt), but was never into the SC gameplay.

It's 2player co-op. The controls are very much like R6 games but you get to add the element of stealth to it which makes it better, to me.

The biggest being the screen going black when you're hidden. If you were awesome at stealth, you'd be playing a black n' white game throughout! which is quite silly because the game does have good graphics which are ruined by this constant effect.

True, but not as bad as it used to be. We used to play 60% of the game wearing goggles and seeing only green and black!

At least you could turn the goggles off to tell if you were really in light or darkness. :|

Tried comparing the 360 demo(SDTV) to the PC version(1080p, 4xMSAA)...I am no tech head and don't really know what to look after, but I didn't really see any difference between them...I can only imagine it looks better on a HDTV
Would almost be better if devs never talked about resolution at all

You dont see any difference between an image at 1024x576 with 2xMSAA and one at 1920x1080 with 4xMSAA?

You dont see any difference between an image at 1024x576 with 2xMSAA and one at 1920x1080 with 4xMSAA?

As I said, I don't know what to look for...The only thing that popped out to me was that it felt darker, but that could as well be because of my TV...I can sometimes see differences when switching between multiplats for GC and XBOX, but I don't really see such differences in Conviction...Perhaps if I had compared them side to side just looking at a chair, my eyes would clearly see differences

I imagine most people at this forum know what they talk about when they look at the technical aspects(and some people here seem to work with it), but as the "average" guy that I probably am, I don't really know where the differences are(and mind you, it was on a SDTV, so the differences should be bigger for those who know where to look)

Back