[360,PS3] Vanquish - New game from Shinji Mikami

I found downstairs to be easier than upstairs, much more room to move around and evade. And yes, I didn't realize I could go downstairs until I shot the arms and the head and used up all the ammo upstairs.

I was afraid of getting stomped. :p

On the second floor, as long as you use boost, you should be able to evade all attacks. Once you learn its pattern, boost once (or twice) to get out of the way and target his main core.

I have no idea about his attack pattern when I'm on first floor yet.

For me, the replay value so far is in testing the boss' reaction, finding more weaknesses, test fire different weapons. Will play first floor soon.

I haven't had much trouble either up or downstairs with the boss. I've died a couple times in the 15 or so play-throughs I've done, but only once did I struggle (my second play-through) and I'm by no means great at action games (especially lately since my time spent gaming has declined).

My replay value has been to try and beat it as fast as I can. My best time is 9:20 or something (nothing to brag about... I saw someone at GAF beat in less than 7).

Anyway, I'm liking what I've played and I'm definitely keeping my pre-order.

Mind=blown.

This demo makes Gears of War gameplay feel stiff and sluggish, IMO. I couldn't even think that third person shooter can be so fast paced.

Seeing large missiles/shells constantly fly above your head give you a feeling that death is just one wrong move away. VERY clever trick. The boss mech launching mines and missiles like fireworks in all directions is such an intimidating sight, each time you feel lucky surviving next barrage of warheads.

Fun moment: while fighting second stage of the mech, I ran downstairs thinking I could get a better shot at its knees from below only to get ambushed by one of the remaining enemy foot soldiers. I get knocked down, and the bad dude is trying to melee me -- but then, the enemy mech launches a stream of missiles in our direction, missing me, but blowing away the bad guy. I get up, and run away. WOW :oops:

Finally beat the epic Beast. Yep, going to the first floor makes it much easier as you have a lot more room to ad lib.

Great demo! And I normally dislike most demos, so that makes it even more impressive.

Pretty psyched for this game now, as I mentioned, with all the delays going on this game moved into purchase territory this year and the demo clinched it.

Anyone play it like Bayonetta ?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23163788&postcount=1866

Weapon canceling into melee-dodge cancel is SOOOOOOOOOOOO good.

Just dropped the miniboss in like 10 seconds. Boosted behind him while shooting the AR, stopped to pivot and switch to shotgun, dodged into slowmo - blasted him with the shotty then canceled into heavy rifle, ended slowmo, rolled again to his side, melee'd then canceled out of it with dodge and ended him with one more shotgun round.

omfg.

Bayonetta-esque

I tried to do a fancy melee + gunplay combo but the grunts always interrupted my plan. I guess this is where great players will shine while average ones like me will play it like a boosted shooter.

Wow ! The demo is cool ! Everything looks good too. Couldn't kill the boss though, ran out of ammo :) !
I'll try out the tutorials though, I just rammed into the demo. Don't know how to evade and all :LOL: !

Wow

Vanquish Demo -- Expert Play:

(About 5 minute, from start to boss death)

Thank you for this video, my friend.

One interesting thing I notice is that for quick movements (sprint/slide) the background looks like it is not rendered new each frame but is distorted to make it look closer. I think Gears of War also does this for running.

Anyone play it like Bayonetta ?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23163788&postcount=1866

I tried to do a fancy melee + gunplay combo but the grunts always interrupted my plan. I guess this is where great players will shine while average ones like me will play it like a boosted shooter.

Yeah, and that's quite a big issue I have with the game, because unless you are doing all that fancy stuff, Vanquish doesn't seem like much more than a cover based shooter on speed to me. With an exceptionally dumb story, even for the genre, and a cheesy 80s macho cast that would even make the Gears dudes take a break from chasing each other with wet towels and flee the group shower.

Compared to the very crazy and very Japanese Bayonetta (which remains totally unique regardless of how you play it), Vanquish seems awfully safe, almost by the numbers to me.

Just like Bayonetta, its a gameplay centric game which doesn't take itself seriously. I must say Bayonetta demo is more fun than this demo just because of unimaginable number crazy moves she can pull off. The shooter genre seems to have limited their imagination with this one. Its still fun, but not as exhilarating as Bayonetta.

Back