[360,PS3] Vanquish - New game from Shinji Mikami

DMC1 was Kamiya's though (started out as RE4 and Mikami executive produced it). But yeah, RE4 didn't exactly have clunky or unintuitive controls. The traditional RE games? The movement for sure but that didn't stop me from playing each game over and over.

God Hand and PN 03 were his "bad apples" if you will, but the former has fan like myself. I enjoyed the Dino Crisis series as well, particularly the first one which Mikami directed. Too bad it ended with a whimper with the disaster that as DC3.

This is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. The character reminds me a bit of Guyver

I saw the new gameplay trailer or whatever it is yesterday on Gametrailers. I was not really keeping my eye on this game, but gameplay wise it looks absolutely amazing in those trailers and now I am totally stoked. From a technical standpoint, the game looked really fast paced and I am wondering if they are shooting for 60 FPS, does anyone know? It didn't seem to be running any antialiasing form the video, but I don't really care if the game turns out amazing.

It was a red PS3 stick (note the mushroom top), emphasized for urgency or to mask the platform much like all trailers. All previous realtime public demos of the game were done on a PS3 as well. That's when they let the cat out of the bag that they're leading on PS3 to lay any concerns of a Bayonetta caliber version to rest.

Looks good, here a little bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLxVt6qxDFM&feature=player_embedded

Is this PS3 or Xbox360 version ... I could not see the controller buttons/stick symbol correctly...but I think it looks like the Xbox360 stick?

This one looks more interesting compared to regular stop-n-pop shooters.

I wonder if Konami will partner with them to release a Metal Gear Solid variation. Would be cool for fighting the Metal Gears (and Metal Gears dueling each other).

Vanquish Hands-On | Eurogamer

Its burly space-soldiers call Gears of War to mind, of course, as does the cover-based shooting, but it also carries faint echoes of Lost Planet. Ordinary movement and shooting has the same heft to it, and the giant transforming robot that appears at the end of the demo suggests that it might have some impressive bosses up its sleeve, too.

But Vanquish twists those solid, tried-and-tested third-person shooting mechanics in with oddly balletic, slow-motion close-up combat. It's a weird mix, but and far it looks like a successful one.

Vanquish's E3 demo opens with a dynamic menu that zooms around the inside of a sizeable space station, spinning slowly in the void. It's not all burnished aluminium - there are trees, too, suggesting we won't always be fighting in sterile P.N.03-style environments.

The Americans are fighting the Russians for control of this space station, which harvests energy from the sun; we play Sam Gideon, a battlesuited American 'operative', shooting his way through wave after wave of robots (Russian robots, presumably) in a 10-minute demo level.

Comparisons feel slightly redundant, though; Vanquish looks as entirely idiosyncratic as any of Platinum's other games. Suspicions that it's a re-skinned, Japanese Gears of War fade to nothing as soon as you slide-kick a barrier into a crowd of robots before chucking a cigarette onto the debris.

Some new pictures:

Amazing gameplay, looks great!

How did I miss this?

...gameplay is friggen insane!:oops:

If this game gets online multi-player it'll be crazy. I see a mixture of LP, RE4 and Virtual On.:smile:

Would be supercool if they could get permission from Konami to add Raiden and Snake to the game. Or how about that dude from the original space Dark Sector.;)

I like:

* Enemy variety. Saw one enemy vaulted over a cover and charge towards the player, which makes me happy. Would be disappointed if they get stuck by the geometry.

* Driving bigger mecha to fight (Yes !)

* Bullet time

* What looks like Co-op gameplay ? (which may mean 3D :p)

Gamasutra interviews Shinji Mikami:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5884/shinji_mikami_on_mechanics.php

The game's genre could generally be associated with Western design, but it has the look of a game made in Japan. How do you reconcile those things -- and do you even have to?

SM: I do think the visuals lean more towards a Western style, but the original inspiration was from Casshern, a Japanese animated show, and a lot of the game's taste comes from that. I don't think worrying about reconciling those two ideas was a big concern when we began development, though.

The original inspriation for the visual look is from the movie version of Tristan and Isolde; that was the initial spark, although the look wound up evolving into something completely different in the end.

How do you determine the camera position for third-person perspectives? It seems that the whole genre has been influenced by your decisions.

SM: It was very much trial and error. We played around with the camera angles over and over again for something like one to three months until we got it right. I wanted your character to be visible onscreen, but in a shooter the enemy has to be plainly in sight as well, so I had to strike that balance in my experimentation.

In most game projects, the main character sort of grows new animations through the course of development, and we kept revising the angles to make new animations clear and present onscreen as well.

So considering that first-person is so much easier, what made you decide to keep with third-person?

SM: It was because of the sense of speed we were trying to convey here, the sort of quick, fluid motions your character is capable of. If this was an FPS, we'd need to make things a lot faster than they are now, and even then, that sense of speed just isn't there unless you're showing the character onscreen pulling off those speedy, acrobatic moves.

Back