360 Owners: Your HDD Space Usage

How do you feel about the 360's storage space?

• I use XBox Live! (primarily for Live Arcade) and I do feel a need for more storage space.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gradthrawn

Veteran
I'm curious as to how 360 owners feel about the available storage on the hard drive. As you can see from the poll, I also wanted to distinguish between those who use Live (and how) and those who don't. Reason being, I would venture to say those who don't use Live, particularly for the numerous types of available downloads, probably have less of an issue with available space then those that do use said functionality. Personally, I've found that I have to bother with disk management far more frequently than I want to. Especially as of late, with several demos being released. I would like to have added the option for those that use Live but primarily for multiplayer gaming, but the poll limit is 10 choices. So if you care to comment as well, please share what size drive you would like to see (if you have space issues) and if you use Live primarily for online gaming.

Just recently had to clean up some demos to make room for some more. Kind of a nuisance but I expect it to get more annoying as time goes on.

I don't feel I 'need' any more space, as the only time it gets full is when I have over 10 demo's on the system, and I never play more than 1 or 2 at a time. It would certainly be more convenient, but at a certain point you're gonna ger full anyways, and have to actually stop being lazy and delete old content you don't use.

One thing is for sure, with a larger HDD they better have MUCH better file management capabilities, as currently, deleting >100 demo's(or anything) would be a major pain in the ass.

I use it for mostly demos and vids. I am not hard pressed for space.

8-10 Demos at any one time, will suffice. Much like scooby said, I never play more then 1-3 at a time.

I do have it media centered up to my pc though. If I didn't have this ability, I would def want more HD space.

Wouldn't matter how much they gave me, I would still run out, as it stands now I think I have 2GB free.

For those of us who will be taking part in the XNA xpress plan, I'm sure we would welcome more space, and I second scoobs recommendation for something akin to checkboxes so I can delete multiple files at a time.

Ive finally got XBL and ive spent the whole day Downloading demo's, video's.. etc etc and im shocked at how fast that space disapered.

I DL all the types of content on Live. The thing is though, most of it is very expendable. For example, the videos quickly become outdated. And they often run hundreds of MB's for the Hi-Def versions. I dled a bunch of videos at E3, forgot about them, when I went back there are better videos of all those games now on the net, so it's easy to delete them to free up space. About the only video I currently keep for repeat viewings is the mass effect 720P one.

Game Demo's are the thing you're more likely to want to keep, but I can even see deleting those easily if space becomes an issue, especially since you can always re-download them if you want.

I have only toyed with the multi-media functions, so I only have a couple MP3's on there. Not a big deal.

No doubt though, the 20 Gig's is a concern long term. Just not a very big one.

The biggest game demos run a gig, XBLA games are tiny, videos are useless after a few viewings, so you'll lways have space for 13 demos I look at it like.
________
Pattaya apartments for sale

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all those that voted and commented, this is interesting data.

i dont have issues with space.. i dont feel the need to keep demos from 1 or 2 months ago around..

I think maybe that's my problem, I like to keep the demos around until I buy the game (if I decide to do so). That could be up to 6 months or more, as some of the demos I have on there now are that old.

One thing is for sure, with a larger HDD they better have MUCH better file management capabilities, as currently, deleting >100 demo's(or anything) would be a major pain in the ass.

I agree completely. Its already a bit of a nuisance (to me, at least) to have to delete 10 or more files in different areas (movies, demos, live arcade demos). On a side note, being pretty familiar with Sony's XMB interface (via the PSP), which will be used for the PS3, I wonder how they're going to handle file management? I'm hoping both SCE and MS eventually provide K/M support along with a Windows Explorer type of interface. Or at least the ability to highlight multiple files at once (quickly). I do like the way the 360's Dashboard (after the last update) separates content, though. Its make finding and accessing the content more intuitive. But not so good for file management.

i dont have issues with space.. i dont feel the need to keep demos from 1 or 2 months ago around..
I think it was George Carlin that suggested that we always need more and more room for our, er, stuff. The bottom line is that we can never have enough space and I would imagine that the "premium" edition of the 360 will eventually have a larger drive.

I use it for mostly demos and vids. I am not hard pressed for space.

8-10 Demos at any one time, will suffice. Much like scooby said, I never play more then 1-3 at a time.

I do have it media centered up to my pc though. If I didn't have this ability, I would def want more HD space.

Wait, are you saying I can store some of these videos on the hard drive of my Media Center PC... and maybe even watch them as they load from there?

After a couple days of downloading demos and videos i have less than a gig free space left. But I had just bought my X360 so I was being greedy with the demo downloads and i don't really see why anyone would need to have more than a couple demos at a time in normal usage.

My HDD came with 12GB free out of the box. Does anyone know what the rest of the space is used for? I'd imagine it's reserved for cache and game updates. I wish they would let us manage all that extra HD space for ourselves and if a game doesn't have enough room for cache or updates it would prompt us to free space.

Mine says 14GB left. I have 4 arcade games on the HDD. And I don't do multiple saves within one game.I've alway's weird like that about keeping my HDD's really organized.

My HDD came with 12GB free out of the box. Does anyone know what the rest of the space is used for? I'd imagine it's reserved for cache and game updates. I wish they would let us manage all that extra HD space for ourselves and if a game doesn't have enough room for cache or updates it would prompt us to free space.

A portion of that used space goes towards the pre-installed content. I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are already some videos and songs on your hard drive. Well, there was pre-installed content when I bought mine, I don't know if they've stopped that.

Wait, are you saying I can store some of these videos on the hard drive of my Media Center PC... and maybe even watch them as they load from there?

I am not sure about that. I was more reffering to other music and videos I would of wanted/needed to store on the internal HD as compared to on my PC.

For me its not huge issue as I had to make room a few times. But going forward its just too dam small. I may keep a demo I like for months..yea I am a cheap bastage, before I finally buy it. So I dont want to have to get to the point were I may have to dump a demo I like because I have no space. HDD are pretty dam cheap and 20gb is more of an insult now days. That says here is a HDD but we are going to use more than 1/2 and feel free to download a bunch of stuff.... oh well.

Not right now, but I would wager that in a year or two, when MS has implemented VOD into the 360, that it will seamlessly integrate with Windows Vista, and use the PC as the main storage device.

Back