32" TV recommendations

Having visited a few stores to check out sets, we've settled on the Sony Bravia KDL32S2010. Nice, conservative styling and awesome picture quality. The single HDMI connector and apparent edge-enhancement bug (see AVF) are minor niggles at most.

The Panasonic (LXD60) and Toshiba (WLT66) were also very good but seemed to have slightly poorer black levels and didn't do quite as a good a job with SD sources. The Samsung R7x was disappointing - looks tacky up close and the image processing seems a little crude. Could be a bargain if you only have HD sources though (or a do-everything HTPC).

I suppose I'm a sh*t for saying my 32" TV reccomendation is to buy a 40" tv? I don't mean to be an elitist ass for saying that, tho I can imagine how it would come across that way.

The problem with WS, particularly if you already have a 32" CRT, is that for SD content you'll get a much smaller picture. My 42" HD in SD non-stretched mode (this is also a consideration --I hate stretch with a passion) is actually 34". A 32" WS is going to show SD in something more like 27". I mean, if you're going to upgrade from SD, I don't really understand anyone looking at anything smaller than 40" or so. Unless they had a 20" TV to start with.

See, we considered 37/40" but it's simply too big for our living room - partly from an aesthetic point of view, but mainly because at the viewing distances involved SD sources look awful.

What's your budget xxx?

For what it's worth, i don't recommend the Samsung as it doesn't even have a backlight adjustment option which as you'll see, is VERY important when you watch movies in your dark living room at night... Plus, the processing is very poor and still loses edtail at both ends of high contrast (whites and blacks just don't have much detail). trust me, i've had the R51 and i have an R72 now at home (my flatmate's).

If you can stretch it, the Sony V2000 is the best out now, the easiest way to describe it is that out of all LCDs, it's the one that gives an image that's closest to CRT wrt colour, contrast and black levels. It might use the same panel as the Samsung, but everything else from backlight to processing to adjustable properties is wonderfully better. The blacks get so black that they're darker than the frame, while the Samsung is still victim of the "dark grey" effect LCDs have. Plus, the sony still retains loads of detail in those dark areas!

Panasonic are good too.

Sony seems to be pushing hard for 1080p in its upcoming lineup - I'm waiting on reviews of the upcoming 40" 2500. I didn't know they were so highly regarded in the LCD space.

I bought a Fujitsu-Siemens Myrica 32" TV. Works fine, great picture, the only less-than-good thing being the remote and the time it takes to switch sources but for this money (700€), you can't expect it to be perfect :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Sony seems to be pushing hard for 1080p in its upcoming lineup - I'm waiting on reviews of the upcoming 40" 2500. I didn't know they were so highly regarded in the LCD space.

Yes, they have really come out of that limbo they seemed to be in the last few years. Now they're back in the game and not only they have the best LCD HDTVs in the market, but they also are market leaders at the moment, which is quite amazing if you think that they were no one in the LCD TV business up until even a year and a half ago.

Depending on where you look, the market is now split like this:
Sony 16%
Samsung 14%
Sharp 12%
Phillips 11%
And the rest were split all over the place.

What was interesting, is that until the first quarter of this year, no manufacturer had occupied 1st position for all the different TV sizes. Sony has now achieved this. I think they bracket them from: Less than 20"/20-28"/32-40"/40"+.

Or like this:

SONY 18.6%
SAMSUNG 18%
PANASONIC 11.7%
LG 9.5%
PHILIPS 8.1%
SHARP 2.8%

The two reports are probably so different because they take into consideration different size screens. I think the first report considers all screen sizes (which would explain why Panasonic isn't there, cause they don't cover the whole 23 to 46 spectrum, only 26 to 40 i think) and the second only one particular size... Not sure...

Well the reasons I bought the JVC were:

i) the price savings over the Sony V series;
ii) better styling than the Sony S series;
ii) Great PQ

and the top notch connectivity;

2 HDMI
1 VGA
2 RGB Scart
1 Component
1 S-Video
1 composite AV + audio

Plus class leading sound - for those times when you don't use the surround sound - which is most of the time for TV viewing TBH.

Back