3 m PSP's already sold worldwide according to sony

Anyway, what's a nonce?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=+nonce&r=f
nonce
a person who molests children

Other retailers that I know (I can only speak of a small franchise in Hawaii so it could be wildly different for GameStop, et al.) buys their systems but only makes like around $5 per system they sell, if that.
the retailers might need to pay for them up front, but they should be able to get refunded if they send the units back to to sony. any MSRP changes should also get them a refund, or at least credit twords more sony stuff. it's more akin to consignment than it is anything else.

PSP will sell just fine. DS simply isn't competition for it - that little doodad is aimed at a whole different audience.
And I couldn't give a diddly-shit HOW much DS has sold, or if PSP ever sells another darn unit. I've got mine, along with four games I enjoy (five, after I buy Hot Shots Golf tomorrow), and between that and watching movies via Mem Stick (and even UMD once in a while), I couldn't be happier with my little gem.
i own a PSP and 2 DS's, and both are sweet machines. i'm a big handheld fan, i even own an ngage and a game.com :p what gets me about this handheld battle is that people are so polarized about the whole thing. i've seen sony fans already claiming the death of nintendo, and nintendo fans claiming that the DS has better 3D graphics than the PSP. a 2 console system has meant great things for the living room, i'm excited about what it's going to do for the handheld space.

see colon said:
the retailers might need to pay for them up front, but they should be able to get refunded if they send the units back to to sony. any MSRP changes should also get them a refund, or at least credit twords more sony stuff. it's more akin to consignment than it is anything else.

Yep, this is also true of software...retailers can generally ship them back. What was new to me (from jvd's initial post) was the idea that A>Retailers didn't pay for the units and B>Retailers are paid to have them on shelves.

Normally big chain stores charge for end caps but not just shelf placement.

see colon said:
i own a PSP and 2 DS's, and both are sweet machines. i'm a big handheld fan, i even own an ngage and a game.com :p what gets me about this handheld battle is that people are so polarized about the whole thing. i've seen sony fans already claiming the death of nintendo, and nintendo fans claiming that the DS has better 3D graphics than the PSP. a 2 console system has meant great things for the living room, i'm excited about what it's going to do for the handheld space.

Absolutely, it's silly as I was saying in my first post. The only reason to interject the DS here is to start a flame fest.

What was new to me (from jvd's initial post) was the idea that A>Retailers didn't pay for the units and B>Retailers are paid to have them on shelves

It may only be for bigger stores ( gamestop is eating up eb it looks like ) They don't make money off the systems. Though sometimes a company would pay them for the space.

When the xbox shipped gamestop got payed to place it at the front of the store with a large section dedicated to it even though it had few games .

When the psp shipped the same thing happened , they got a nice area at the front of the store and special signs .

jvd said:
When the xbox shipped gamestop got payed to place it at the front of the store with a large section dedicated to it even though it had few games .

When the psp shipped the same thing happened , they got a nice area at the front of the store and special signs .

Yes, that is similar to the end cap space CompUsa sells. Special high profile areas are sold to companies. But overall, the stores do not charge Sony, MS, Nintendo just to have the product available.

Product placement yes, on-the-shelf, no.

See hey69, I told you this shipped/sold thing would confuse some people.

Bwahahaha, yes, it's pretty hard to tell the difference :rolleyes:

Weekly figures in Japan show DS outselling PSP 4 weeks out of the last 5. Last week DS sold 96k and PSP sold 33k. Also so what if PSP isn't released in Europe yet? This isn't an exercises in fairness mate its reality. The fact is because PSP isn't out in Europe for another 4 months DS's lead can only increase their. Which as I said is one of the reasons why PSP has a long way to go to catch up.

And yet the sales charts still show PSP outselling DS this year. DS had some big releases (like Nintendogs) which will affect the charts from week to week, whereas PSP has been quiet on the release front. What's your point?

Also, "exercise in fairness"? My point in the first place was that saying that "its lead in Europe is increasing" was an incredibly redundant statement to make - of course its lead is increasing in a country where the PSP isn't even out yet :LOL:

5 million to 3 million at this stage of the game, when the PSP isn't even out in a lot of countries yet, does not (IMO) give it a "long way to go" to catch up. Both consoles have only been out a few months, both are selling well, just read what Ty said earlier...

Hows it the fault of a news site that your so freaking stupid you can't distinguish between "sold" and "shipped"?

Hey, good work in chucking in an insult there, when all I did was paraphrase the news sites - none of them differentiated between shipped and sold.

and FYI, a "nonce" is not used as slang for a "child molester" anywhere I know. It's basically used to mean "silly person" (for want of a better phrase) - i.e. it was used when Ali-G had his totally redundant statement about DS' lead in Europe. There's a big difference between calling someone a "nonce" (which is meant playfully, fully evident in my post), and someone "freaking stupid".

So everyone just chill :)

mech:

PSP has outsold DS very marginally so far this year in Japan and that should be reversed this week. Plus you can't ignore the 2004 sales. My point is that DS is ahead and is only going further ahead ATM. What does it matter why? We can argue on stuff like that all day long.

Also, "exercise in fairness"? My point in the first place was that saying that "its lead in Europe is increasing" was an incredibly redundant statement to make - of course its lead is increasing in a country where the PSP isn't even out yet

The fact that DS has sold well in Europe and will have the next 4 months PSP free to extend its userbase even further is very relevant. It should be obvious yes but that doesn't make it redundant. Its just another reason why PSP has a long way to go to catch DS.

5 million to 3 million at this stage of the game, when the PSP isn't even out in a lot of countries yet, does not (IMO) give it a "long way to go" to catch up

Your still comparing shipped to sold, see PC-Engines post above. Oh and what I'm saying does not contradict what TY said.

Hey, good work in chucking in an insult there, when all I did was paraphrase the news sites - none of them differentiated between shipped and sold.

Don't start insulting people if you don't like it thrown back at you then. You didn't just paraphrase a website. You didn't listen to a word of what people here told you about how the DS numbers you had were not comparable to the PSP numbers given in this thread.

BTW if you call someone a nonce then you can't expect them to assume that your not using its most common meaning. Considering what I thought you'd called me you got off very lightly at being called "freaking stupid".

PSP has outsold DS very marginally so far this year in Japan and that should be reversed this week. Plus you can't ignore the 2004 sales. My point is that DS is ahead and is only going further ahead ATM. What does it matter why? We can argue on stuff like that all day long.

Still more than 10% higher sales this year, despite DS outselling PSP for the last 4 out of 5 weeks or whatever it was. Not entirely "marginal" IMO.

The fact that DS has sold well in Europe and will have the next 4 months PSP free to extend its userbase even further is very relevant. It should be obvious yes but that doesn't make it redundant. Its just another reason why PSP has a long way to go to catch DS.

*sigh* Yes it is relevent that Europe has the DS out already, and it is selling well - I never said otherwise. I said yours was a redundant statement - even the Gizmondo is increasing its lead against the PSP in Europe, because it's simply not available there. I was giving you shit about the way you phrased it, not about the point you were making. Or are you too freaking stupid to realise that? ;)

Your still comparing shipped to sold, see PC-Engines post above. Oh and what I'm saying does not contradict what TY said.

Good point, I should have written 6 million.

Regarding Ty:

That said, let me reiterate that both systems will do fine and that there is little to no reason to bring up the DS in this thread UNLESS to start another flame-filled topic.

That's the bit I wanted you to take on board. I'm not saying that DS is doing badly; I'm saying PSP is doing fine against DS and it's way way too early in the game to be making judgements one way or another about the eventual outcome. IMO though it should do fine.

Don't start insulting people if you don't like it thrown back at you then.

Being called a nonce with a smilie face after it counts as an insult to you? :LOL:

You didn't listen to a word of what people here told you about how the DS numbers you had were not comparable to the PSP numbers given in this thread.

Yes... I did. And I replied that the numbers I had were from a website, and they listed both as "sold". In my last post I SHOULD have written 6 vs 3 million though, you're right. IMO it doesn't make a difference to my point though.

BTW if you call someone a nonce then you can't expect them to assume that your not using its most common meaning. Considering what I thought you'd called me you got off very lightly at being called "freaking stupid".

Ahahaha, what? You really call people a "nonce" when you want to call them a child molester? Are you serious?

And as I already said.. the most common (in fact only) meaning I've ever heard it used as is a very light, joking payout. To get all worked up about that and make claims about how I "got off lightly" is a bit OTT. I'll be more careful in future if that's all it takes to offend you. :)

mech

Its marginal; IMO, especially given that DS has outsold PSP by 100,000 in the last 5 weeks. BTW more accurate 2005 totals in Japan so far are PSP 785,856, DS 736,178 which is even more marginal.

And that comment wasn't redundant, it was worth saying since it was relivant. Dont see why you'd 'give me shit' for saying something that's worth saying.

As I said I haven't contradicted what TY said or said anything about a final judgment. Just said that PSP has a long way to go to catch DS, doesn't mean PSP is selling poorly.

Being called a nonce with a smilie face after it counts as an insult to you?

Stop assuming that people can read your mind or that people here know you. You and your friends might call each other nonces all day long and laugh and to you thats friendly. Just like I could call my friends tossers and laugh and it would be taken in a friendly way. But when you call someone who you don't know a nonce it will be taken as an insult, that shouldnt suprise you, especially if they know the real meanin of the word. Putting a laughing face next to it doesn't make it look like your being friendly either. Laughing can be taken as friendly or insulting.

Ahahaha, what? You really call people a "nonce" when you want to call them a child molester? Are you serious?

Where do you think it gets you when you post exaggerated laughing at the start of your posts? It makes you look like a silly kid laughing at other people's opinions. Who said I call anyone a nonce as well? I don't need to use the word to know its meaning. Look at see colons link above. It explains where the word nonce comes from. Its an abbreviation of a prison term that evolved into a word for child molesters.

And as I already said.. the most common (in fact only) meaning I've ever heard it used as is a very light, joking payout. To get all worked up about that and make claims about how I "got off lightly" is a bit OTT. I'll be more careful in future if that's all it takes to offend you.

How am I easily offended becayse I knew the meaning of the word and assumed you meant its real meaning (not a crazy assumption is it)? The way you and your friends use a word and its real meaning are two different things. I've called my friends freaking idiots lots of times and its taken as a joke. But I wouldn't expect you to take it that way or anyone else I didn;t know.

I can accept that you didn't mean to call me a child molester now, because you've told me that. But you need to accept that I had every right to be angry at your comment at the time. Stop blaming other people for knowing what this word means instead of your own use of it.

Obviously we will never agree, and we're just going to go in circles because everything you've written can be countered with what I already wrote in my last post.

But seriously, getting so uptight about being called "a nonce" and writing numerous paragraphs on it - but thinking it's perfectly fine to call me "freaking stupid" smacks of hypocrisy in my opinion. If I'd known it'd get you so riled up I wouldn't have used it.

I stand by my last post, but there's little point in arguing about this further.

I'm not even interested in PSP "catching up to" DS. I maintain that DS was and is a stopgap to protect Nintendo's marketshare from PSP while they ready a proper Gameboy successor. So I don't think DS ultimately means very much to Nintendo long term.

Meanwhile, Sony's got all this time to build a solid base with PSP and make inroads into Nintendo's final stronghold. Which it will. The bottom line is that PSP is going to be mad successful, and we are even now witnessing the beginning of the end of Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market.

Kolgar said:
I'm not even interested in PSP "catching up to" DS. I maintain that DS was and is a stopgap to protect Nintendo's marketshare from PSP while they ready a proper Gameboy successor. So I don't think DS ultimately means very much to Nintendo long term.

Meanwhile, Sony's got all this time to build a solid base with PSP and make inroads into Nintendo's final stronghold. Which it will. The bottom line is that PSP is going to be mad successful, and we are even now witnessing the beginning of the end of Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market.

It's nice that SONY has entered the portable gaming sector because it forces Nintendo to come up with new ideas and technology to compete. However Nintendo will continue to dominate the portable sector like they're currently doing with even a stopgap DS.

PC-Engine said:
It's nice that SONY has entered the portable gaming sector because it forces Nintendo to come up with new ideas and technology to compete. However Nintendo will continue to dominate the portable sector like they're currently doing with even a stopgap DS.

It's nice that MICROSOFT has entered the simulation racing sector because it forces Polyphony Digital to come up with new ideas and technology to compete. However Polyphony will continue to dominate the simulation sector like they're currently doing even with an "pwned" GT4.

;)

Kolgar said:
PC-Engine said:

It's nice that MICROSOFT has entered the simulation racing sector because it forces Polyphony Digital to come up with new ideas and technology to compete. However Polyphony will continue to dominate the simulation sector like they're currently doing even with an "pwned" GT4.

;)

Unfortunately PD hasn't come up with new ideas at all in GT4. GT4 is using the same AI in GT1. Same can be said about PSP...ooh bigger screen! :LOL: ;)

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:
Unfortunately PD hasn't come up with new ideas at all in GT4. GT4 is using the same AI in GT1. Same can be said about PSP...ooh bigger screen! :LOL: ;)

Oh puh-lease...
this is actualy one of my main gripes as a PSP owner. there's nothing there that isn't really a port or a remake. it's nice to play darkstalkers and twited metal on the go, but it's darstalkers and twisted metal. for being "the future" (to use sony's words), it certainly feels like the past to me.

see colon said:
london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

Oh puh-lease...
this is actualy one of my main gripes as a PSP owner. there's nothing there that isn't really a port or a remake. it's nice to play darkstalkers and twited metal on the go, but it's darstalkers and twisted metal. for being "the future" (to use sony's words), it certainly feels like the past to me.

My puh-lease was referred to PC-Engine's idea that GT4 is basically GT1.

oh... well i think GT4 is basicly GT2. ie it added back all of the things (used cars, and just the quantity of cars) that were missing in GT3.

see colon said:

OK, maybe I'm just new to this whole portable games thing and I don't "get it," but I LIKE the fact that I'm taking console-quality games on the go with me. I LIKE that I'm playing Ridge Racer and Wipeout and Twisted Metal and Hot Shots anytime, anywhere.

I love console gaming. That's why I do it. Now thanks to PSP, I can enjoy PS2-like games in my back yard, at work, in my car, in an igloo, on top of a mountain, or anyplace else there's no wall socket or room for a TV.

I'm in love.

Back