3 m PSP's already sold worldwide according to sony

i don't think there will be a million pieces of difference between shipped and sold.

what i understand is sony can only ship to sellers and get paid by them.
it's the sellers problem to SELL them to clients like you and me

so i presume ... that what only counts is shipped to sell by sony :)

There is a significant difference between shipped and sold if you look at sales tracking data. The report says that 1.44 million were shipped by the end of March in Japan. But Japanese sales of PSP were at 1.1 million at that time. 1.53 million were shipped to the US by the end of March while 700,000 where actually sold by that time. So that's a difference of more then 1.1 million between shipped and sold. Its similar for DS as well, 6 million shipped just under 5 million sold.

I don't really want to argue about the importance of shipped and sold to Sony. Although I would say that if shops can't sell a Sony product then it will be Sony's problem to get them to buy more stock. Anyway I'm only talking about using the correct wording to avoid future confusion. In the end even Sony report it as shipped so it should be reported here as shipped, its just the correct term that's all.

if sony "sold" units to resellers, when hardware prices dropped no retailers would drop the price until all of the units they purchased at the higher prices were sold to customers. i think it's more of a consignment agreement.

mech said:
Ahhhhh PC-Engine, so anti Sony.
And DS just topped 5 million units, compared to PSP's 3 million? Given its availability in other markets, and these other markets contributing to the bottom line substantially, I'd say PSP is doing quite alright for itself so far. It's a marathon, not a sprint, I'll be very interested to see sales figures in a year Sony's aiming for 15 million sold by then.

this is awsome. you basicly accuse PC-Engine of being a fanboy then use sony's "shipped" numbers against nintendo's sold numbers. the DS has sold more units in each of the territories they are both available in. even in japan, where the launches of both systems was about 2 weeks apart the DS has outsold the PSP nearly 2:1.

that's not to say the PSP is selling poorly, and i'm certainly not calling it a failure. i'm sure it'll do fine in the long run, but currently it's not exactly doing steller when you compare the numbers to the DS.

Why was the DS even brought up in this topic in the first place? To start another flame fest? Both handhelds are going to do fine, we can all relax.

rabidrabbit said:
Haven't seen any PSP's here either, I must be the only one owning a PSP inside 10 km radius.
It could be those who have one are afraid to show it in public, I'm afraid I'll get mugged or gangriped if people see me with my sexy shiny black PSP :LOL:

Hahaha me too, I'm afraid to use mine on the train or whatever, I get quite a few looks...

No, if you kept up with DS related stuff you'd know that Nintendo shipped just over 6 million DS's back in March.

I looked up the latest DS news before I wrote my post and every site said they'd sold 5 million worldwide. So a thousand pardons, just going on what the newsites were telling me.

It has got quite a long way, especially considering DS's lead is only getting bigger in Japan and Europe.

The sales figures in Japan show that PSP is outselling DS week to week - and of course its lead is getting bigger in Europe, you nonce! :LOL:

this is awsome. you basicly accuse PC-Engine of being a then use sony's "shipped" numbers against nintendo's sold numbers.

I'm assuming you meant to use the word f@nboy there, but anyway, he is - whenever he can get the boot in, he does, and he refuses to see the good side of the PSP.

I guess you could say that about me and the DS, but I'm just sick of getting screwed over by Nintendo really ;)

And as for having a go at me about comparing shipped and sold numbers - I looked up Google news to get my info, and those numbers come direct from there. So if you want to cry foul about those numbers, go have a cry to all the news sites reporting them.

even in japan, where the launches of both systems was about 2 weeks apart the DS has outsold the PSP nearly 2:1.

IIRC DS sold better at launch (partly because they had higher numbers to sell), giving it a head start, but since then PSP has been outselling DS (almost?) every week.

Why was the DS even brought up in this topic in the first place? To start another flame fest? Both handhelds are going to do fine, we can all relax.

Exactly. Good post.

mech said:
And as for having a go at me about comparing shipped and sold numbers - I looked up Google news to get my info, and those numbers come direct from there. So if you want to cry foul about those numbers, go have a cry to all the news sites reporting them.
i don't care about your sources, the numbers aren't relevant. it's apples and oranges.

atari shipped 5 million coppies of "E.T." for the VCS, does that make that piece of software a success?

The sales figures in Japan show that PSP is outselling DS week to week
yeah...
http://www.bdgamer.net/?query=Japanese+Console+Sales+Chart&amount=0&blogid=1
Japanese Console Sales Chart (27/03)

Nintendo DS: 55,825 (Annual: 485,370)

PlayStation Portable: 43,043 (Annual: 623,163)

Japanese Console Sales Chart (3/4)

Nintendo DS: 42,023 [Annual: 527,393]

PlayStation Portable: 33,911 [Annual: 667, 074]

Japanese Console Sales Chart (10/4)

Nintendo DS: 30,028 (Annual: 557,421)

PlayStation Portable: 28,848 (Annual: 695,922)

PlayStation Portable 28,950 (Annual: 724,872)

Nintendo DS 21,698 (Annual: 579,119)

Japanese Console Sales Chart (24/4)

Nintendo DS: 96,191 (Annual: 675,310)

PlayStation Portable: 33,004 (Annual: 757,856)
the DS outsold the PSP 4 of the last 5 weeks. so the recent trend says otherwise. the PSP is ahead for the year, and the DS is ahead in total since launch.

* http://the-magicbox.com/toptenlast.htm

Let me explain something to you guys .

Stores do not buy systems . They carry the system. The stores make no money on the systems that we carry and we can ship any unsold product back to sony . We get payed to have the system on shelves and by software sales .

So there is a huge diffrence between shiped and sold . Shipped means they are sitting on shelves and taken home . Sold means they were taken home from the store .

Sold is a much better number to see where things are at . But as allways compared the two like things

PSP will sell just fine. DS simply isn't competition for it - that little doodad is aimed at a whole different audience.

And I couldn't give a diddly-shit HOW much DS has sold, or if PSP ever sells another darn unit. I've got mine, along with four games I enjoy (five, after I buy Hot Shots Golf tomorrow), and between that and watching movies via Mem Stick (and even UMD once in a while), I couldn't be happier with my little gem. :p

That's a change from how other stores seem to operate.

Other retailers that I know (I can only speak of a small franchise in Hawaii so it could be wildly different for GameStop, et al.) buys their systems but only makes like around $5 per system they sell, if that.

But yes there is a huge difference between "shipped" and "sold through". Afaik, Sony means the former and certainly not the latter. This is what I gather from some of our PSP devs (that the PSP is not selling super well to consumers yet).

That said, let me reiterate that both systems will do fine and that there is little to no reason to bring up the DS in this thread UNLESS to start another flame-filled topic.

jvd said:
Shipped means they are sitting on shelves and taken home . Sold means they were taken home from the store .

Ok, so shipped means they are shipped to the shop and taken home, and sold means they are shipped to the shop and taken home? :devilish:

london-boy said:
jvd said:
Shipped means they are sitting on shelves and taken home . Sold means they were taken home from the store .

Ok, so shipped means they are shipped to the shop and taken home, and sold means they are shipped to the shop and taken home? :devilish:

Uh shipped and taken home but not sold = theft. ;)

london-boy said:
jvd said:

Bah . Shipped means they are shipped to the shop and / or taken home. How they are taken home if there is no where to get them from is beyond me

jvd said:
london-boy said:
jvd said:

Bah . Shipped means they are shipped to the shop and / or taken home. How they are taken home if there is no where to get them from is beyond me

I know dumbo, you just said the same thing for both words! ;)

I looked up the latest DS news before I wrote my post and every site said they'd sold 5 million worldwide. So a thousand pardons, just going on what the newsites were telling me.

See hey69, I told you this shipped/sold thing would confuse some people.

The sales figures in Japan show that PSP is outselling DS week to week - and of course its lead is getting bigger in Europe, you nonce!

Weekly figures in Japan show DS outselling PSP 4 weeks out of the last 5. Last week DS sold 96k and PSP sold 33k. Also so what if PSP isn't released in Europe yet? This isn't an exercises in fairness mate its reality. The fact is because PSP isn't out in Europe for another 4 months DS's lead can only increase their. Which as I said is one of the reasons why PSP has a long way to go to catch up.

Hows it the fault of a news site that your so freaking stupid you can't distinguish between "sold" and "shipped"? :LOL:

Ali-G said:
Hows it the fault of a news site that your so freaking stupid you can't distinguish between "sold" and "shipped"? :LOL:

I think you can make your point across without havint to insult people. We already have enough members doing that.

londboy probably just missed mechs comment, I admit I shouldnt have carried on the insults. I just hate that kind of thing, when someone starts throwing insults for no reason. Especially when I know that I'm in the right in the argument (doesn't happen often but I am here :))

Ali-G said:
So its ok for him to call me a nonce but not ok for me to call him freaking stupid?

To be honest, i only read yours, yeah. If he insulted you, the comment is valid for him too (Just so u know, PCEngine, always jumping to conclusions).

Anyway, what's a nonce?

Back