2009 platform CONSOLE exclusives!

That sounds awfully deja vu. Am I confusing things or was this in a movie or two?

Quite possibly. But then Max Payne's story wasn't that innovative either. The pulpy way of telling it was. Even the game's effects were heavily cribbed from Hard Boiled, but that wasn't a bad thing either.

Do we know anything about Alan Wake regarding the above?

"Alan Wake is a bestselling horror writer. Early on in his career, his fiancée Alice was his muse. Just prior to meeting her, he had started to have strange dreams which he used as material for his first book. The book was a big success, a dream come true. But then Wake’s fiancée vanished without a trace. Wake was devastated. He couldn't write any more, his dreams stopped and he began to suffer from insomnia. At the beginning of the game, Wake travels to a sleep clinic to seek treatment for his condition. The secluded clinic is located near the small town of Bright Falls, Washington, far away from the stressful urban lifestyle. Receiving treatment at the clinic, Wake is able to sleep again. At the clinic, he meets a mysterious woman who is the very image of his missing fiancée, uncannily so. At once, his dreams return, this time as terrible nightmares. Wake begins to write again: a new book based on those nightmares. But something is horribly, horribly wrong. Impossibly, the town of Bright Falls starts to change to something awful that bears a close resemblance to Wake’s new book. Wake ends up fighting for his life with a gun and a flashlight in his hands, trying to understand what’s happening."

Quite possibly. But then Max Payne's story wasn't that innovative either. The pulpy way of telling it was. Even the game's effects were heavily cribbed from Hard Boiled, but that wasn't a bad thing either.

Yeah, I just had it in the back of my mind that it sounds strangely familiar, as if it may have been in a popular thriller/horror flick. Maybe even Stephen King? I wouldn't know as I'm not that culturally educated in the genre.

"Alan Wake is a bestselling horror writer. Early on in his career, his fiancée Alice was his muse. Just prior to meeting her, he had started to have strange dreams which he used as material for his first book. The book was a big success, a dream come true. But then Wake’s fiancée vanished without a trace. Wake was devastated. He couldn't write any more, his dreams stopped and he began to suffer from insomnia. At the beginning of the game, Wake travels to a sleep clinic to seek treatment for his condition. The secluded clinic is located near the small town of Bright Falls, Washington, far away from the stressful urban lifestyle. Receiving treatment at the clinic, Wake is able to sleep again. At the clinic, he meets a mysterious woman who is the very image of his missing fiancée, uncannily so. At once, his dreams return, this time as terrible nightmares. Wake begins to write again: a new book based on those nightmares. But something is horribly, horribly wrong. Impossibly, the town of Bright Falls starts to change to something awful that bears a close resemblance to Wake’s new book. Wake ends up fighting for his life with a gun and a flashlight in his hands, trying to understand what’s happening."

Guess we know something about the "story" then....

I'd still like to know something about the gameplay. The story has a heavy silent hill vibe, but can we expect a silent hill with more action?

Official clarifications.

Re-opened after clean-up. This is the CONSOLE forum, not the PC.

If you want to debate semantics, take it to the site feedback and out of this thread because it has been discussed before, ended poorly, and is entirely off-topic.

Afrika's worldwide release is pure speculation, based on an ambiguous press release by National Geographic, as far as I know. No definitive announcement has been made.

Yes, but there is a perfectly acceptable English Language version that has already been released in Asia. Those people that are interested in this game, might want to consider this version. It is in that context that I feel it should be included in the PS3 2009 exclusives list. It wasn't till the end of 2008 that there was confirmation from users that the Asia version had full english support.

Got any sources for GT5 coming to japan in december and feb 2010 elsewhere?

Or is this just speculation based on nothing but arguments from your own arse?

Ouch, nice insult!

Anyway my arse arguments are pretty accurate, it correctly predicted PS3 releases of Bioshock, Kane & Lynch and Saint's Row inspite of many posters here and elsewhere claiming they'd remain 360 exclusives.

My arse is very happy with it's argument that GT5 will get a 2009 release in Japan.

Unfortunately I can't claim any special insider knowledge, I just lurk a lot at NeoGaf and the posters there are pretty good at breaking insider news.

Looking back at my post history I see that I was talking about the PS3 versions of Saint's Row and Kane & Lynch back in January '07.
See here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=37853

Ouch, nice insult!

Its not an insult, but what [RandomGuy1] (in this case that being you) makes up, is worthless. You clearly dont have any source, your just guessing. What some forum guy guesses will be GT5s release date is completely worthless. The only thing thats of any value is what devs or people in the know say.

Anyway my arse arguments are pretty accurate, it correctly predicted PS3 releases of Bioshock, Kane & Lynch and Saint's Row inspite of many posters here and elsewhere claiming they'd remain 360 exclusives.

ROFL.
In other words, the answer to my question is no, you drew that information out of your own arse.

And no, "predicting" (meaning guessing) that 3 games are gonna get ported (3 games by publishers that usually port stuff) does not in anyway somehow improve what you, without any source, and without any insider knowledge, is saying about GT5. Surely you have to understand this?

A random forum guys prediction, based on nothing, is of very little value. In fact so little value, i dont know how to even measure it. Its not worth the bandwidth it took to download the text.

People with no knowledge have been telling me various release dates for GT5 for years now. Im only interested in what people who either now something they shouldn't know, or actually work with GT5 says.

Looking back at my post history I see that I was talking about the PS3 versions of Saint's Row and Kane & Lynch back in January '07.

I dont see how you predicting ports (from publishers that allways multiplatform) makes your statement anymore valuable. Seriously, what does you being able to guess that Saints Row was gonna come on PS3 have to do with GT5 release dates? Dunno even why you posted that as an argument for why your guesswork should be of any more value. Its still guesswork based on nothing.

Its still just something you made up, without any inside information, and no internet source. Its completely worthless to me, and anybody else who actually wants to know when GT5 is coming. I dont want to know when you guess its coming, your guessing is worthless to me (seeing as you dont have any special knowledge or insider information or anything to base your argument on).

Nothing personal or anything. I just dont understand why people think their own guesses based on nothing (not even any good arguments to go with the guesswork) is of interest to anybody intelligent who knows what source critiscm is.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like "In the Mouth of Madness".

Now that was a pretty cool film, IMO the only Lovecraft adaptation that has worked. If Alan Wake is even remotely similar and can keep the did I really see that... Am I going insane vibe then it should rock.

Yes, but there is a perfectly acceptable English Language version that has already been released in Asia. Those people that are interested in this game, might want to consider this version. It is in that context that I feel it should be included in the PS3 2009 exclusives list. It wasn't till the end of 2008 that there was confirmation from users that the Asia version had full english support.

How does English support in Asia in 2008 justify including it on the 2009 exclusives list? I don't follow your logic.

It was first release in 2008; no matter the region. It is a 2008 exclusive.

Then so's White Knight Chronicles. Instead, we should differentiate by region. Dragon Quest V being out in Japan for months doesn't mean I can play it, not until it comes out in other regions early this year.

gamasutra's take

-- ps3 --

fat princess
flower
god of war 3
Heavy Rain: The Origami Killer
Infamous
Killzone 2
Massive Action Game
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
White Knight Chronicles

-- xbox360 --

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned
Halo 3: ODST
Halo Wars
Ninja Blade
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

-- wii --

lots (and all exclusive)

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21706
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21702
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21704

I expect to buy at least; Killzone 2, Wardevil, Uncharted 2, and God of War 3 for PS3 this year.

Unless Rare announce something interesting, I can't think of any particularly special 360 titles.

Wii is building up lots of exclusives as expected. The Conduit looks like the first big hit.

Back