2007 Console Price Cuts: How much?

What will the retail price be for PS3 20GB at retail outlets in NA at the end of 2007

• $499

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • $479

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • $449

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • $429

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • $399

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • $379

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • $349

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • $329

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $299

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Below $299

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
"There's a heck of a lot more under the hood and it costs us more money to make it," Tretton told Game Informer. Despite this, Tretton doesn't seem to think the system's price will hurt its position in the marketplace. "I think the consumers that get their hands on a PlayStation 3 clearly see the value and not only want to buy one for $599, in some instances they're willing to pay ridiculous prices to buy one on eBay," Tretton said.

Either sony's way out of touch or they're deliberately misleading people. The ebay craze for PS3 died down fast and a lot of storebought units are currently returns from people who couldn't sell them on ebay. =/

Either sony's way out of touch or they're deliberately misleading people. The ebay craze for PS3 died down fast and a lot of storebought units are currently returns from people who couldn't sell them on ebay. =/

I think it's more a product of when Tretton did the interview, the eBay craze was still, well, a craze...

Remember, there's quite a bit of lag between when an interview gets conducted and when it gets published.

XBD:
People expected cheaper PS3 SKUs too, just dig up some polls from here. And everyone was shocked at the prce when Sony announced it, and it stayed at that price.
And look at the euro prices, it's gonna be even more expensive here...

I would't rule out a price cut though, but don't expect a $300 PS3 for this year either.

i still think the best way to go would be to start bundling games as soon as possible with a minor price cut on the system itself. Its much nicer for any consumer to get something free, as long as they feel like they can use the system at no additional obligation to spend more money. This is especially true for people who would be getting them as gifts for their kids and the console itself may already be at their budget. I say this even about the Xbox360 which also should start bundling games. I think its a great sales pitch, even if they arent the best games (Xbox360 + Kameo and PGR3 for example).

$399 - by May

Europe sales will be brisk and fall rapidly after the first million.

Sony will need to adjust the price to keep systems moving.

i would like to know how SCEI can reduce PS3 costs to reduce prices of PS3s

my guesses are:

- 65nm CBEA
- Delete HDMI for third SKU

but i really doubt either of them will happen in the future :p

i would like to know how SCEI can reduce PS3 costs to reduce prices of PS3s

my guesses are:

- 65nm CBEA
- Delete HDMI for third SKU

but i really doubt either of them will happen in the future :p
65nm CBE+RSX+Controller chip (believed to be a substantial SCC chip), remove EE+GS, and cost reduce BluRay player. These are the short term savings that should be realized this year.

65nm CBE+RSX+Controller chip (believed to be a substantial SCC chip), remove EE+GS, and cost reduce BluRay player. These are the short term savings that should be realized this year.

oh yeah, just remembered that they can make ps1 + ps2 games run with emulation and removing EE+GS. right???

Back