200$ Surround Sound for PS4 + PC?

I spent £350 here in London for a full Sony 5.1 system with speakers and sub, more than 10 years ago! It's the one I still use.
I'm sure you can find a good deal.

yeah i also planning to use the speakers for years, considering my el-cheapo miss-matched speakers works fine after 15years++ (although the cables already rotten and i replaced them).

today i was supposed to buy some cables and test my fake-brand DVD Player for PS4's 5.1ch but got lazy >_<

I must say, I bought Sony then Sony still built stuff like tanks. This thing has never, ever failed me. And the amount of shit that got spilled over it at parties is insane. Complete health hazard. But hey, still works flawlessly.

I think we need to focus on what do you guys think that product from the link posted by orangpelupa would sound like? Is it good enough? not good? okay? nice? He definitely couldn't buy those product that is listed on Amazon at that price. It is just not an option. If I could buy an Onkyo receiver for less than $200, I would buy it, but I can't. There is no receiver with multiple HDMI input that is sold for less than $300 brand new in my country.

The receivers mentioned here are available for those prices in Europe, USA and Japan. Between those three we've covered a market of about 1 billion people so I hope you excuse us if your country is not amount them ;)

Whether that speaker set (link isn't working atm) is any good or not will depend mostly on what orangpelupa is used to (not much by going by his first post) and we he expects out of it. That said I think audio equipment will last you a long time so if a certain speaker of receiver is just out of budget it might be worth it to save a little bit longer considering you could easily use the equipment for 10 years or more.

LG DH6340P
Anyway, for me, if orangpelupa really wants something to output 5.1, it should really be a receiver and not a DVD home theater system. Personally, I would like him to save money to buy a receiver. it might be $100 over budget, but it will offer a lot more flexibility over that DVD home theater. Without speaker though... so if he wants to buy a brand new speaker... well... maybe use his old speaker first.

Edit: I'm thinking something like http://www.lazada.co.id/pioneer-vsx-329-k-av-receiver-hitam-334851.html
It's around $250

>_< yeah thats over budget and i dont get speakers set (i dont think my old set is justified for 300 dollars AV receiver). but should fix my "audio input" problems.

LG DH6340P
Anyway, for me, if orangpelupa really wants something to output 5.1, it should really be a receiver and not a DVD home theater system. Personally, I would like him to save money to buy a receiver. it might be $100 over budget, but it will offer a lot more flexibility over that DVD home theater. Without speaker though... so if he wants to buy a brand new speaker... well... maybe use his old speaker first.

Edit: I'm thinking something like http://www.lazada.co.id/pioneer-vsx-329-k-av-receiver-hitam-334851.html
It's around $250

That LG set doesn't appear to have any HDMI inputs so I'd say that is a waste of money.

It got HDMI ARC, thus any device you plug in to your TV will be forwarded to that set, provided that you plug the set into the HDMI ARC port. The problem is that even if your TV already had HDMI ARC port, some TV only output stereo through ARC because some manufacturer are dumb enough that instead forwarding the sound from the other HDMI device, they actually forwarded the sound that's intended for the TV speaker, meaning stereo. Of course the optical line out doesn't guarantee that you will get surround instead of stereo. The best route is to buy a receiver, but it cost a lot more, especially if you don't already have the speaker.
Anyway, orangpelupa just sold his limited edition (anniversary) PS4, might as well spare a bit of money for a receiver [emoji4]

@tongue_of_colicab nothing have HDMI inputs but the LG and sony have Digital input. Sony also have HDMI audio in (HDMI ARC). unfortunately my tv dont have ARC, so only option is Digital In.

@Rurouni
yups, my TV dont have ARC and the optical only output stereo. So i need to buy optical splitter to connect my PS4/PC directly to the dvd player.

thankfully i do have the funds to buy it but... its still expensive thing. I mean.. its 300 dollar. 100 dollar more than my budget :(

tomorrow ill try to go to western union to get my youtube payment. if it goes well, hmm :D

@Davros
from what i read on avsforums, it seems windows since vista did not allow real-time kernel streaming. To do that flawlessly without lag, i would need to run windows xp.

but that capture card should work. Although i dont know about the audio lag...

Can you get any of these in your country? This is really all you need. Then use your current speakers until you can buy new ones and off you go.

LG 180 USD but only only available online, no physical stores on my town to try it :(
http://www.bhinneka.com/products/sku00414635/lg_home_theater_5_1ch__dh6340p_.aspx

Sony 240 USD available on my local store but its over budget (but i like how it looks and the Bluetooth receiver)
http://www.sony.co.id/product/dav-dz650

hmm...

gotta buy those cables first.

EDIT:
lol it was the WMP's SRS thats eating my speakers mid-range. Nice for bass-ey musics but not good for musics with "layers" of sounds.

I can't quite tell if the LG unit has an optical in or if it's an optical out. I'm assuming it's an optical in. The Sony has an optical in at least.

That'll allow you to use with PS4 (optical in) and PC (2 channel audio in). But you won't be able to get 5.1 channel audio with both PS4 and PC without switching which one is being input.

Either should sound better than what you currently have hooked up to your PC. They should have decent but not amazing sound (although it might sound amazing compared to your current setup. :D).

If you can, it would be better just to buy a reciever with the budget you have. Use your existing speakers with it. Then get speakers when you can afford them.

But yeah, looks like options in Indonesia are very limited. The Sony Indonesia site doesn't even list a stand alone receiver for your market. :(

Regards,
SB

I can't believe this...

Just got back from stores and they also says Sony is exiting business.

Even more unbelievable, I tested some sound systems and my cheap ass misfit speakers beat all of them until 600 dollar price range. Especially in the highs bombastic bass and presence. But I suspect presence is skewed because on stores there so many other noises.

Gonna go to other stores to try more.

just got back from other store.
there's an LG @ 230 USD and Sony @ 350 USD and i forgot to take note the model numbers...

i think it was
this http://www.sony-asia.com/product/dav-dz950
and
this http://www.lg.com/lgecs.downloadFil...69.pdf&FILE_NAME=KROWM000540541.pdf&TC=DwnCmd (no spec sheet on the web, only on the manual)

so... all of them have optical in.
the sony is much more expensive (100 dollar+), have arguably better looks (but worse OS menu that looks like a PS3 knock-off), and bluetooth (that support lots of codec including AAC over bluetooth).
while the LG is cheaper, arguably less cool-looking, but did not have bluetooth.

the sound characteristic was LG much more punchy boom-bass than Sony. While Sony sounds more natural and have better presence.

what do you think?
main use case will be for playing PS4 and watching movies. Does 100 dollar premium on Sony worth it?

thankyou

EDIT:
LG put a bunch of FW updates (without changelog) on their web, while sony has none.

EDIT:
btw my fake-brand dvd player was useless. Its remote was broken, i got it function again but....
the whole system menu was BLANK lol lol lol. It seems the chinese manufacturer did not bother to properly write a firmware.

But it was marked as DVD/VCD/MP4 player and it do work as advertised.

Last edited:
Whether its worth it or not depends on how you think both sets compare. Though no HDMI inputs means you are just making life harder for yourself down the road.

Importing a receiver isn't an option? I did a very quick google and the first result says there is no duty on electronic goods and only 10% tax when importing into Indonesia.

yeah if in the future i buy xbox one, no HDMI inputs means i need to connect/disconnect the optical cable not only between PS4/PC but also X1 :(

importing is free here for max 50 dollar value. more expensive than that and the import tax can go to 100% (i imported 3D printer years ago and it got about 50% tax).

on lazada online store there's some AV receiver but the price is the same as full-set home theater.

from what i read on avsforums, it seems windows since vista did not allow real-time kernel streaming. To do that flawlessly without lag, i would need to run windows xp.

but that capture card should work. Although i dont know about the audio lag...

Vista+ have "WASAPI exclusive mode" which replaces kernel streaming.

One thing to consider when assessing value here is that the improved sound of the new (matched) speakers you would get with a home theater in a box solution may not yield as big of a benefit as the receiver alone would benefit you in added function and ease-of-use.

Last edited:
yeah if in the future i buy xbox one, no HDMI inputs means i need to connect/disconnect the optical cable not only between PS4/PC but also X1 :(

importing is free here for max 50 dollar value. more expensive than that and the import tax can go to 100% (i imported 3D printer years ago and it got about 50% tax).
What if you gave me $200 and I went to BestBuy, bought you a nice HDMI switching receiver, and shipped it to you accidentally leaving the leftover change in the box?

Back