MSFT    84  88  Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
NINT    84  84  Super Mario RPG
MSFT    84  73  Forza Motorsport
NINT    83  81  Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re-Boot Camp
MSFT    83  69  Starfield
MSFT    82  81  The Elder Scrolls Online: Necrom
SONY    82  64  MLB The Show 23

Last edited by a moderator:
2022 was pretty horrible for MS and Nintendo, but otherwise the 3 were pretty comparable in output quality with 2023 being a pretty amazing year for Nintendo.

I would suggest that people put their own personal tastes aside. These scores are what critics and users think of these games according to metacritic. It's more useful to discuss things in that context.

The example I always use is Gears Tactics. For me this game is a 9+/10, but it would be foolish of me to argue that Xboxes should be flying off the shelves for people to play it when the consensus on metacritic is that it's an 80/78 game in a generally non-critical genre, so I would never laud this game as some sort of amazing marketplace achievement. Just an example of trying to take your own bias out of the equation. :)

Last edited:
I propose a different layout to make it to easier to read

Code:
SONY    92  81  Demon Souls
MSFT    91  72  Flight Sim
MSFT    90  89  Ori and the Will of the Wisps
NINT    90  57  Animal Crossing: New Horizons
NINT    85  86  Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Putting the name last makes formatting a lot easier. If you agree I'll edit the OP.

Here's a table but we have no control over column widths AFAICS so I don't see an advantage over monospaced CODE. Edit: Okay, columns are autospaced by content. A truck load of filler and a table should work well.

SONY9281Demon Souls
MSFT9172Flight Sim
MSFT9089Ori and the Will of the Wisps
NINT9057Animal Crossing: New Horizons
NINT8586Pikmin 3 Deluxe

Last edited:
Scores are one thing the other being how long these games stay in the conversation and long tail sales.

Take something like Demon Souls. It kick started an entire genre of that type of game style with an association to Sony which is really powerful.

God of War is still talked about. Forza Horizon and Spider Man games equally had long term success but SpiderMan being a new franchise which again went onto strengthening the Sony brand.

Games that not only review well initially but have staying power are massive contributors to platform mindshare and that's primarily what MS hasn't been able to achieve this generation.

I propose a different layout to make it to easier to read

Code:
SONY    92  81  Demon Souls
MSFT    91  72  Flight Sim
MSFT    90  89  Ori and the Will of the Wisps
NINT    90  57  Animal Crossing: New Horizons
NINT    85  86  Pikmin 3 Deluxe
Putting the name last makes formatting a lot easier. If you agree I'll edit the OP.
Please reformat. Thanks.

Scores are one thing the other being how long these games stay in the conversation and long tail sales.

Take something like Demon Souls. It kick started an entire genre of that type of game style with an association to Sony which is really powerful.

God of War is still talked about. Forza Horizon and Spider Man games equally had long term success but SpiderMan being a new franchise which again went onto strengthening the Sony brand.

Games that not only review well initially but have staying power are massive contributors to platform mindshare and that's primarily what MS hasn't been able to achieve this generation.
But neither has Sony really. They are riding on their past PS4 success, which is massive I'll admit.

Honestly, Starfield is the most ambitious game this gen from either MS or Sony, which is probably one of the reasons MS bought Bethesda. I really believe they will transform that game from an 83 to 88 over time with new content, much like Sea of Thieves improved, but we'll see.

You can also see why MS put Fable into Playground's hands. FH is their most successful franchise both from a metacritic and engagement perspective. Even Sony only has one game that reviewed better - GoW: Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Back