15 titles for PlayStation 3 launch, says Hirai

SCEA boss Kaz Hirai has said that he expects around 15 software titles to launch with the PlayStation 3 this November, responding to comments from publishers criticising the firm's slow release of information to developers.

Not bad, 15 isnt bad at all. This may kinda sound weird, but I expected a little more; 20 at the least.

Looking at this list I posted in the other thread...

Bad_Boy said:
1st party:
-Motorstorm
-Eye of Judgement
-Resistence: Fall of man
-WarHawk
-Singstar
-Untold Ledgends: Dark Kingdom
-Genji 2 (Q4 2006)
-Formula One 06
-NBA 07 (Q4 2006)

3rd party:
-Sonic the Hedgehog (Q4 2006)
-Ridge Racer 7
-Fatal Intertia
-EA Fight Night Round 3 (Q4 2006)
-NBA Live 07 (Q4 2006)
-Madden 07 (Q4 2006)
-NCAA Football 07 (Q4 2006)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Q4 2006)
-NHL 2K7 (Q4 2006)
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Q4 2006)
-WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 (Q4 2006)
-Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Q4 2006)
-Call of Duty 3 (Q4 2006)
-Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Q4 2006)
-Alone in the Dark (Q4 2006)
-Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Q4 2006)
-John Woo Presents Stranglehold (Q4 2006)
-Rayman 4: Raving Rabbids (Q4 2006)
-World Pool Championship 2007 (Q4 2006)
-Bladestorm: Hundred Years War (Q4 2006)
-The Darkness (Q4 2006)
-NBA 2k7 (Q4 2006)
-NHL 2k7 (Q4 2006)
-Turok (Q4 2006)

*note: all the "(Q4 2006)" titles are big possibles, but not confirmed launch titles.

I think its safe to say there are alot of titles still up in the are about weather they will make launch or be in december, or even delayed. I guess saying an apox. like 15 (give or take) would be a safe thing for a exec like Haz to say, incase titles dont make launch.

Basically what I'm saying is, while 15 is definately a nice/decent number, I expect more announcments come closer to launch.

What a murky place the console world is. EA, Ubisoft and Activision saying one thing and THQ and Sega of America on the other side.

Sony's aim was for 4000 devkits at this point weren't they? No idea of what variant of devkit they'd be. I guess there's never enough.

Not of direct relevance to this thread but I managed a tired smile for the 20% comment at the link...

Kotick added that he doesn't expect that the first titles launched for the PS3 will take advantage of more than a fifth of the capacity of the machine, however, stating that "this is the most sophisticated piece of consumer hardware ever."

ManuVlad3.0 said:
Hirai is SCEA's CEO, right? Maybe he is talking about USA launch games.
Who knows, he could be talking about 1st/2nd party games, then again that would sound odd and that would mean there are alot of 1st/2nd party titles unknown.

for example:

1st party:
-Motorstorm
-Eye of Judgement
-Resistence: Fall of man
-WarHawk
-Singstar
-Untold Ledgends: Dark Kingdom
-Genji 2 (Q4 2006)
-Formula One 06
-NBA 07 (Q4 2006)
Thats 9 games right there, 6 more unknowns. Maybe if lair, rachet and clank, naughty dog's game, 8 days, Gretzky NHL, getaway, dc comics game(published by sony), hotshots golf 5, and eyedentify all made the launch he would more than right. But thats really stretching and I doubt all of those would make launch.

Guess we play the waiting game, we should be used to it by now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Launch games are usually delayed or rushed, I think it is best to just wait and see on such things.

Black Dragon37 said:
SCEA boss Kaz Hirai has said that he expects around 15 software titles to launch with the PlayStation 3 this November, responding to comments from publishers criticising the firm's slow release of information to developers.
The number doesnt mean much if most of them are mediocore. I hope they deliver something good.

Otherwise Sony could be in deep sh!t

kyleb said:
Launch games are usually delayed or rushed, I think it is best to just wait and see on such things.

Yeah, a number of 360 launch titles got pushed back at the end of Summer/Early fall. DoA4 in some areas, Oblivion, Ghost Recon. Sometimes, especially on key franchises, it is easy for them to slip to get more refinement.

Also spacing and having titles fill in Winter/Spring can be good. GRAW and Oblivion sold very well, and they were Spring releases. Sometimes missing the launch hooplah can be good for a title to polish up, and also get more exposure especially if there are already a number of hyped titles at launch and/or competition in the genre.

Bad_Boy said:
Thats 9 games right there, 6 more unknowns. Maybe if lair, rachet and clank, naughty dog's game, 8 days, Gretzky NHL, getaway, dc comics game(published by sony), hotshots golf 5, and eyedentify all made the launch he would more than right. But thats really stretching and I doubt all of those would make launch.

Guess we play the waiting game, we should be used to it by now. ;)

I think the rest will most likely be multi-plat games.

Acert93 said:
Yeah, a number of 360 launch titles got pushed back at the end of Summer/Early fall. DoA4 in some areas, Oblivion, Ghost Recon. Sometimes, especially on key franchises, it is easy for them to slip to get more refinement.

Also spacing and having titles fill in Winter/Spring can be good. GRAW and Oblivion sold very well, and they were Spring releases. Sometimes missing the launch hooplah can be good for a title to polish up, and also get more exposure especially if there are already a number of hyped titles at launch and/or competition in the genre.

Also, there's probably not alot to gain by going heads up with MS this holiday season over the game libraries. MS will have ~140 titles(supposedly) for 360 by then, it's a battle they can;t really win, and it won't impact PS3 sales any since they'll be sold out anyways.

They would be better off, IMO, to push their best games to Q2 2007 when MS launches Halo 3 and when a PS3 or two will start appearing in stores.

Acert93 said:
Very true, there seemed to be a void of games after the launch until Fight Night, Oblivion and GRAW came around. It's good to have consistency with releasing games all year long.

On the ps3 front, some titles we can expect Q1/Q2 of 2007...
-Heavenly Sword
-Virtua Fighter 5
-Virtua Tennis
-Assasins Creed
-Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway
-MOH:AA
-Haze
-Elveon

And probably some delayed titles that dont make it in the Q4-2006 timeline, who knows what else.

scooby_dooby said:
NBA 07 1st party??
Yeah, the old 989 studios team Is now under Sony and makes the NBA 0X and Gretzky NHL games. They have NBA 07 coming out for PSP and PS2, I have a little source that told me to expect it for the PS3 also. Shhh. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
xbdestroya said:
Eye of Judgement isn't a full game, FYI - it's just a 'proof of concept' demo at this point...

Link
Actually, the dev interview on ps3 portal states that the game will be a launch title. Check the video out for yourself. The concept part may come the camera they had on display, they said it was only a concept and will look different in the final version.

http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/393.html
ps3portal transcript of video said:
AH: When do you plan to release this game? Do you have any time frame right now?

YW: In plan, it's going to be a PS3 launch title.

scooby_dooby said:
So we're now going to have NBA 2k7, NBA 07, and NBA 2007?

WHat's next?? NBA MMVII?
More choices the better imo, Atleast it isnt like football where...*cough* EA runs the show. ;)

Bad_Boy said:
Actually, the dev interview on ps3 portal states that the game will be a launch title. Check the video out for yourself. The concept part may come the camera they had on display, they said it was only a concept and will look different in the final version.

http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/article/393.html

Hey I'm just quoting what the demonstrators told me... Obviously some of these guys weren't on the same page then. :p

xbdestroya said:
Hey I'm just quoting what the demonstrators told me... Obviously some of these guys weren't on the same page then. :p
No problem, I wasnt questioning your credibility or anything like that. I'm a frequent at PSINext. :) I just supposed there may have been a miscommunication somewhere, and obviously there was between the devs and the demonstrators.

Bad_Boy said:
No problem, I wasnt questioning your credibility or anything like that. I'm a frequent at PSINext. :) I just supposed there may have been a miscommunication somewhere, and obviously there was between the devs and the demonstrators.

Oh I didn't think you were - and of course I know you're at PSINext B-Boy. :cool:

But hearing that it is in fact being set up for a launch, makes me wonder how they will implement it. The software needs some work, I have to be straight up about that. It sometimes read the wrong cards, or sometimes just took a while to register. But assuming they fix that, are we talking about a ROM-based game with a CCG revenue stream on the side? That could be interesting. Also I think that playing this game two people in the same room would ultimately equal tedium. But if they get it going online, both players with an EyeToy or whatever, then I think it has some 'cool' potential.

Back