13M of DS sold.

Apoc

Regular
Nintendo: 13M DS Systems Sold Globally

All Associated Press NewsBERLIN (AP) - Nintendo Co. said Thursday it has sold about 13 million of its Nintendo DS handheld game systems worldwide.

Nintendo Europe's press office said a figure of 10 million that was reported Tuesday and appeared on the company's Web site was incorrect. However, a spokeswoman said she could not explain the source of that figure.

A company statement Thursday said that "approximately 13 million Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world."

It also said it has sold almost 3.5 million of the devices to European consumers since its launch on the continent in March. It did not give figures for sales in other regions.

Link

It's impressive they sold so many DS's in a year. I still remember those who said that Nintendo was doomed. It seems that the big N knows how to fight the portable market.

Impressive, no doubt - good to see it doing that well. Got to admire the innovative software that's coming out for it.

As for the earlier comments about Nintendo being doomed - I think those were targeted rather at their console business, not their handheld one. All in all, got to say it's really impressive how well DS is doing, especially in Japan and despite PSPs presence, although I don't see the two as direct competitors.

PR I said:
Thursday, Nintendo posted an official apology on their corporate website in Japan, regarding the lack of available units in stock. Due to demand exceeding Nintendo's forecasts, DS systems have sold out across Japan. Nintendo is shipping units by air to get them in stores more quickly, but does not expect retail stock to be back to normal until the end of January.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6711

PR II said:
NINTENDO EUROPE TAKES THE NEW YEAR BY STORM WITH OUTSTANDING HAND-HELD SUCCESS

- 3.5 million Nintendo DS units sold across Europe -

5th January 2006 - Without a doubt 2005 was the year of the handheld console. With the highly successful launch of the Nintendo DS and the continued success of Game Boy Advance SP Nintendo has dominated the handheld market. Following Nintendo DS's launch in Europe in March, almost three and a half million Nintendo DS have been sold.

Worldwide sales have shown a similar pattern with millions turning to Nintendo for their portable gaming. Approximately 13 million* Nintendo DS are now in the hands of people all around the world.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6710

PR III said:
Five million in Japan, four million in the United States, and a handful of million-selling games.
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6707

To sum up:
Japan: 5 million
NA: 4 million
Europe: 3.5 million
Other: 0.5 million

Phil said:
Impressive, no doubt - good to see it doing that well. Got to admire the innovative software that's coming out for it.

As for the earlier comments about Nintendo being doomed - I think those were targeted rather at their console business, not their handheld one. All in all, got to say it's really impressive how well DS is doing, especially in Japan and despite PSPs presence, although I don't see the two as direct competitors.

Rubbish. The PSP was thought to be the destroyer of Nintendo's only cash cow (their portable business). It's funny reading the daily damage control from those who predicted doom for the DS. :LOL: Good times.

Readykilowatt said:
Rubbish. The PSP was thought to be the destroyer of Nintendo's only cash cow (their portable business). It's funny reading the daily damage control from those who predicted doom for the DS. :LOL: Good times.

It is too early to say anything, battle has just begun. PSP can still win in NA/EU and it would be a big blow to N if that happens. All IMO. :smile:

Readykilowatt said:
Do you have a link to where Phil said PSP would kill Nintendo's cash cow? Seems to me that people remember someone saying something, and then read someone else saying something related, and assuming they had the same attitudes. I see it all over the forum.

Back