1080p smoke and mirrors?

sir doris said:
LB: quick question re. your sammy; have you tried connecting your PC via the HDMI and if so what was the effect of the internal scaller on 720p games and desktop?

Thanks

I haven't tried, but i hang around the AVforums enough to know that to get the full picture you'd have to set the resolution to something lower like 1100xsomething because the set overdraws on HDMI input. Obviously it doesn't look very good, especially with text.
On VGA the picture is fabulous though, i'm not sure i'd see a difference between that and digital inputs, and with nothing to compare it to side by side it's even more difficult. Better for me though huh! :D
According to reports, the Sammy gives one of the best image quality on VGA with 1:1 pixel mapping so i'm happy.

Sounds great, I only ask as i'm getting a 26" Sammy as a gift from the company we're buying our house off and once I get a 1080p set it'll go very nicely with my PC :)

sir doris said:
LB: quick question re. your sammy; have you tried connecting your PC via the HDMI and if so what was the effect of the internal scaller on 720p games and desktop?

Thanks

I have, my old PC is currently hooked up through DVI, using the nvidia control panel to output regular 720p. Frankly, I'm very surprised out how well it looks. I've browsed the web on it a few times, and text looks very good. Playing games, I really don't notice any scaling. The biggest problem I have is actually getting the games to output a decent widescreen resolution.

Took me most of the past week to realize my panel treats 1280x720 differently than 720p. There's a little menu setting where I choose either PC input or STB input. If you don't set this right, you don't get a picture. Sometimes it helps to read the manual. :)

I haven't messed much with the 1:1 yet, I was just happy to get a picture on the damn screen.

JBark said:
I have, my old PC is currently hooked up through DVI, using the nvidia control panel to output regular 720p. Frankly, I'm very surprised out how well it looks. I've browsed the web on it a few times, and text looks very good. Playing games, I really don't notice any scaling. The biggest problem I have is actually getting the games to output a decent widescreen resolution.

Took me most of the past week to realize my panel treats 1280x720 differently than 720p. There's a little menu setting where I choose either PC input or STB input. If you don't set this right, you don't get a picture. Sometimes it helps to read the manual. :)

I haven't messed much with the 1:1 yet, I was just happy to get a picture on the damn screen.

You should try, looks very nice and sharp.

geo said:
I liked this one a little better, as it least it puts some model names out there to shoot at its conclusions with: http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1544/The-Facts-and-Fiction-of-1080p/p1/

It is alright but I believe there was an oversight, probably to keep things simple.

I believe the HD Ready and maybe the ATSC standards specify only "lines" and not pixels per line.

This means that a TV with a pixel resolution of 1024 (horizontal) but a line resolution of 768 (vertical) can still be classed as an HD Ready TV as long as it meets the other requirements (HDCP through HDMI or DVI being one).

Anyway good article except Cesar's bias for DLP showed way too clearly at the end. At the very least a comparison of other available sets would have been nice e.g. the Sharp Aquous or the new Pioneer PDP screens out soon.

And no way does a DLP have better blacks than some of the best Plasma's out there but that is just nitpicking on my part :D

Back