Just's BD present...

I played paintball the other day and got nailed in the side of the head. Didn't hurt at all thanks to the mask, but it would have gone straight in my ear otherwise.

So yes, get the things that protect the side of the head and ears. Otherwise, there could be trouble.

"Huh" what, that was self explanatory. You quoted Darwin talking about firearms and their "effect" on evolution, and I say it's irrlevent seeing as this thread has nothing to do with firearms, more to do with a toy.

Ah .. oh well.. if you want to drag it there... I don't really care about ..

I know my dad gave used and let us play with those things for a purpose and he got half of his wish.. and I know I shot at people too .. lucky a 11 year old can't use a heavier weapon..

So did you end up ordering one digi??

i never get used to the idea of parents introducing actual firearms/toy guns to their kids.
But i live in Europe, so, there you go lol

wtf

The wife has spoken and the answer is no frickin' way. Digi needs to grow up. That is not an appropriate toy for a 10 year old. My guess is that the Dig wants one for himself. I think it sets a bad example. I'm sure that my daughter, the 3 dogs, and 2 cats will be grateful. I don't want my some to grow up feeling comfortable with and liking guns.

The Dig's wife has spoken

digitalwanderer said:
It's a bit more than "just a toy" though, it really is more of an introduction to proper firearms.
Why bother? If you want to intro firearms (for whatever reason) then wait 'till he's ~12yo & take him to a gun club. I really don't see the point & find it more disturbing, contray to nancy protestations, in buying pseudo guns with the sole intent of shooting each other. Get the boy a real air-rifle & teach proper use. Then graduate to firing range for longarms. Handguns (when much older) are another option, but only under full supervision at the range.

Q. Do you hunt?

Edit: Savvy woman, that Digi's wife.

dskneo said:
i never get used to the idea of parents introducing actual firearms/toy guns to their kids.
My folks are European & dad grew up with firearms - so did I.

Why bother? If you want to intro firearms (for whatever reason) then wait 'till he's ~12yo & take him to a gun club. I really don't see the point & find it more disturbing, contray to nancy protestations, in buying pseudo guns with the sole intent of shooting each other. Get the boy a real air-rifle & teach proper use. Then graduate to firing range for longarms. Handguns (when much older) are another option, but only under full supervision at the range.

Indeed. Is 12 the minimum age now? I don't even know. I joined a gun club when I was 18, avoided constant pressure to join the NRA, and used the range to intro myself into a variety of firearms. At that age where I live you can't buy handguns, only rifles and shotguns.

I have a question though, Digi. Has your son ever expressed an interest in firearms other than "that's a cool gun Bruce Willis is shooting terrorists with?" Or is this toy more a gift for yourself? If he's genuinely interested in shooting I would suggest buying a .22 and taking him to a range. Have him take an officially sanctioned safety course, then sign him up for weekend classes or however it's handled. One of my friends in highschool was a trophy winning shooter sponsored by Colt, competed frequently in competitions and was doled out a pretty sweet Colt Gold Cup Trophy, which is one of the finest firearms....ever.

I played with cap guns when i was a kid, im not twisted, never planned to shoot anyone or go on a rampage. Dont own a gun or even a big hunting knife for that matter.

Hell 30-40 years ago it was very common for summer camps to host a shooting range for young teens to shoot .22 caliber rifles.

I do think the world would be better without guns, but i do not agree that the simple introduction of guns somehow make most people inherently violent or place bad ideas in their heads, because they dont.

The wife has spoken and the answer is no frickin' way. Digi needs to grow up. That is not an appropriate toy for a 10 year old. My guess is that the Dig wants one for himself. I think it sets a bad example. I'm sure that my daughter, the 3 dogs, and 2 cats will be grateful. I don't want my some to grow up feeling comfortable with and liking guns.

The Dig's wife has spoken
Just so y'all know, I did NOT write that. :oops:

Looks like it's gonna be a DS then and and an R4.

digi said:
I was gonna pick up a couple of 150FPS electric shooters and some face masks so the kids could actually shoot each other in the house. :smile:
digi said:
It's a bit more than "just a toy" though, it really is more of an introduction to proper firearms.

Digi, I generally respect you a lot for your care of your family. So this one really caught me by surprise.

I won't argue anymore here (and won't see this thread as it is moved to RPCS, which is likely to happen), but just want to say that you should listen to your wife.

No argument from me, I know I got my blind spots and faults. That's why I always do listen to my wife, in most situations like this I've found her to be the correct one.

Still, he would've loved it. He's been asking me for a gun for years now. Mebbe when he's 13, I'll have him help me clean/set up a target range in the basement....make him earn it.

No argument from me, I know I got my blind spots and faults. That's why I always do listen to my wife, in most situations like this I've found her to be the correct one.

Still, he would've loved it. He's been asking me for a gun for years now. Mebbe when he's 13, I'll have him help me clean/set up a target range in the basement....make him earn it.

http://www.pbreview.com/fields/16/page1/sort8/

take him sometime and rent when you both feel hes old enough. that would be the best first step i would think

Roses and dinners Dig, lot's of roses.. lot's of dinner..
<sigh>

No, it's already over. She just whacks me in the back of the head and says "Quit being stupid!" and it's all over.

She doesn't carry grudges, at least not without telling me. A wonderful personality trait for a successful marriage, IMHO.

I got me a good one, I know it. :cool:

Now I should have a pretty easy time either getting him a DS or a Wii at least. ;)

Back