What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a man date!

PM me the details of the server and I'll set it up ready for next time I feel like a late night. I'll grab Ventrilo, it's about time I installed that too. I only have Skype, Steam, Teamspeak2, Teamspeak 3, Logitech Vid, Live and Mumble to chat on thanks to everyone using something different. :mad:

I have a mic too guys! But I won't be back to the comp until next week. We gotta scratch that BC2 itch more often.

At a rate of 26660 points per match I should hit level 50 in a couple of days :devilish:

I just (probably irresponsibly) spent about €95ish on around 11 Mac/PC Steamplay-enabled indie games, to have something to load up on my Mac lappy. Not sure if they're any good though... Oh well, at least some indie devs get a small economic contribution.

I picked up "Amnesia: The Dark Descent." It could possibly be THE scariest game ever made. Big name horror games like F.E.A.R tend to lean towards stupid tactics like the whole "little girl with long black hair" bullshit, that we can thank cheesy Japanese horror movies for sensationalizing, or Silent Hill where I'm pretty sure players have been fighting the same enemies since the induction of the series. And when you encounter something in your way, you riddle it with bullets, or club it to death. That type of "horror" game play detracts from the basic foundation of the genre. Instead, you're pitted against a handful of monsters, without weapons. Frictional did an awesome job with the atmosphere and finding unique ways to create tension. It's definitely creepy. Play the game with headphones and in the dark, and I guarantee you'll tweak out, at least once. The puzzles are well assembled and somewhat tricky. A lot of physics based puzzles, like creating ways using the environment that's been provided, to solve problems. Whether that be throwing a large stone through a weak wall, or piling up crates to reach certain areas.

mm... sounds like I'll wait for a sale. :p I've been itching for a horror game for awhile, but I'm busy with other games soon.

I played the demo and it was definitely interesting. But I also found FEAR to be very scary so ymmv.

Been playing Medal of Honour Airborne and liking it very much...

However before that I had to play the Medal of Honour Airborne install Campaign

Mission 1:
First off the installer tries to install physx and if it comes across a later version it doesnt know what to do and just stops the install, Of course there is no error message, oh no that would require the installer to be programmed by someone with common sense.

Mission 2:
The installer tries to configure windows firewall to let the game access the internet. If you use another firewall it just quits again with no error message.

Mission 3:
Search google to find out wtf is going on and download fix

Mission 4:
Copy dvd to hdd rename a file, copy fix to the folder. Run installer

Mission 5:
go to web site to see what patches are available
download latest patch 1.3 after looking at the readme for it. (1.2gb for f**ks sake)

mission 7:
Install 1.3 patch wait ages while it extracts files to hdd, then wait another age while it updates the game, when the installer gets to about 95% get error message you need patch 1.2 first quitting installation (why not f**king tell me this at the beginning)

Mission 8:
Download patch 1.2 another 1.2gb and go through another huge wait

Mission 9:
More waiting while patch 1.3 installs

Bargain! Two games for the price of one, though you could have used the spoiler tag :)

For something less mentally challenging, but eventually manic, there is Penguin Diner. Now if only I could "shut that bloody bouzouki player up".

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoyed MOH: Airborne, which is odd as I normally can't stand WW2 games.

Was hoping that more first person shooters would use their cover mechanic. Felt really good the way you could pop out and shoot while sticking to cover. It was so good in fact that I just assumed all shooters would do that from now on. Loved parachuting in to whatever location you liked, and attacking the level however you wanted too. Good times.

Bad points of mohaa airborne
got stuck in geometry a few times and had to restart
enemies spawned right in front and behind me

ps: bigtabs airborne has no cover mechanic

ps: bigtabs airborne has no cover mechanic

I suppose 'peek mechanic' would be more appropriate. I don't think you do stick to the cover, as I remembered it. Perhaps it was that when using the sights you didn't move anyway. Still, it was rather good.

I hear it was even better on consoles as with an analogue stick you could choose how far to peek.

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh that, if your zoomed in and strafe you lean

Oh and the Gaming Gods have a message for you (call it a friendly warning)
Nothing is "better on consoles " never, ever, you hear.....

Oh and the Gaming Gods have a message for you (call it a friendly warning)
Nothing is "better on consoles " never, ever, you hear.....
Its easy to fall for the devil teasing you with better graphics, but damning you to an eternity of bootscreens, driver incompatibilities and never ending installation procedures. Actually you might already be there, you sure you survived your latest installation procedure?

Yeah, but also press 'forward' so you can use it to pop up over cover. It felt very fluid and I honestly thought it would become as standard as blood splatter on the screen and heath regen.

Regarding things being better on consoles - I suppose it's really just that games can rely on you having analogue sticks so they can be designed with those in mind. Things like the peek mechanic can be made better. Of course everything else suffers (aiming, graphics, framerate, modability) etc. so it's hardly an overall win.

BC2. A lot. Trying to get back within the vicinity of "decent" FPS players, since my hiatus from playing religiously due to being occupied with a lot of RPG's. Also, trying to prepare for BF3. I desperately wish I was rank 50, but progression is such a slow crawl, to the point where I wonder how much time people invested in the game to reach that level. Between ranks seems to take an eternity. Either my overall score in any given round is severely lacking, or it'll take a huge chunk of time. Either way, I don't foresee myself hitting 50 before the launch of BF3, where I'm pretty positive I'll devote most of my time playing that.

Also, I can't pinpoint exactly when it began, but every single time I attempt to load Isla Inocents, the game quits to the desktop. No message. Flat-out quits. I haven't been able to play that map for months, which is sad, because I miss it :(

I can't say I've done this, so not sure if it's worth the effort, but you could try and find badges or pins you don't already have and attempt to achieve them as you play. These should carry a decent points reward and get you levelled up quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back