What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loaded up Unreal Tournament 3 again, recently. It's a lot better this time around, even though it feels like a console game at times. I was in the mood for blazing-fast deathmatches, and I got it. I want to beat Far Cry 2, but I'm waiting until after Christmas and the coming arrival of my new videocard, so I can start he game over and enjoy the DX10 features. The shadows look a little lackluster running DX9. I've also been playing The Witcher, too, but I'm also waiting for my new card to beat it. The Witcher is easily the best RPG made in a long time. Also, I've fooled around with GTAIV on PC, and it's aggrivating how high the damn requirements are. I'm pretty sure it stands next to Crysis in terms of hardware requirements, and looks 1/1000th as good, which really bugs me. For some odd reason, the ability to go on five star rampages has been relieving for me lately, I know that sounds odd. Having a swarm of police chasing me as I reap havoc with some type of gangsta rap blasting from my SUV, while Nico makes wisecracks, has made me chuckle. I've also come to the conclusion that the character "Little Jacob" is one of the best characters ever made in video game history. Provided you have some type of computer that's lightyears ahead of it's time, hardware wise, I'm sure the game is really fun. It's just I'm having a really difficult time thoroughly enjoying it when it crawls, at times. No game is meant to be played at 1024x768. Ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I played the demo but didn't grab at all.

Anyway, picked up FC2 for 35 euros and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit. In fact, I've put down FO3 for the moment as I was starting to get bored with it. The respawning mercs in FC2 are a bit of a drag and I'm still wondering if the game can keep up the ambush on remote place routine but I'm really liking the healing mechanics, gun jams, vehicle break downs, being rescued by buddies, etc. Also the player physics are VERY tight (not up to the standards of id/Valve but close). Game runs very smooth for the eye-candy it provides. The fire physics are awesome.

Ever since I upgraded my drivers with my new video card, FC2 has been behaving weird. It runs extremely poor when starting up, and can only run efficiently when I alt tab the game and it runs in a window. I have no idea what it is, it was running flawlessly before I updated the drivers. It was, however, giving me a message saying the drivers were old, then, which is understandable. And only after I updated did it start to behave strange. It's a little disappointing, but I'll figure it out.

I've been playing "The Witcher" a lot recently. I'm near the end of the game and it's getting mind numbingly difficult. So difficult, in fact, it makes me wish I could turn down the difficulty in game just to beat the thing. Nothing bothers me more then mobs that chain cast pain on you, leaving you defenseless until they beat you to death. Also, wraiths have a nasty habit of dodging everything I throw at them now, except for spells, which is aggrivating when I'm trying to fight more than one, and I've put most of my talent points in melee based combat, so the only spells that can even damage them are my Igni spells. I have, however, put talent's into immolate so people burn up pretty easily.

I'll beat it.

Someday.

Also, I picked up Wrath of the Lich King. I've gotta be honest: It's a lot more enjoyable than I imagined. I started a death knight and they're beyond overpowered. Plus everyone has created one so finding a spot in a dungeon group is nearly impossible. They're a lot of fun, though. The only place where they were truly flawed was with professions. They're handed virtually everything ranging from great gear, weapon proficiency to 150 riding skill and a free mount, but you have to do a TON of back tracking to level up professions, which is really annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Mass Effect for cheap.

So far it feels like it wants to be a movie but the 'game' is getting in the way. 'Commander shephard' should be judge shephard or reverend shephard or something. Seemingly all I've done so far in the game is put my nose in other peoples business and then hand down my judgement and tell them what I think about them or what they're doing. And then the game judges me and tells me if what I judged was naughty or nice by giving me naughty or nice points. I'm finding it very distasteful so far. And I had forgotten how dry and mundane I had found Kotor's dialogue.

I find the lighting strange as well. Apparently in the future we are all allergic to artifical light, so we have to use 10 watt spotlights for everything.

Great voice acting though. And the combat isn't near as bad as I was expecting from what people seemed to be saying.

I just got my ship so I'll see how it goes once planet hopping starts, I can't see myself spending too much time with this one though.

OK IMO the game is now alone worth it's price alone for the talk show radio station (appears later in the game) with Lazlo. Just 8min and already laughed myself unconcious.

Just picked up a premium account for Savage2 - A Tortured Soul as I enjoyed the previous game immensly. But, unfortunately, everything feels slowed down to the point where a quick game is no longer possible.

Though I must say I find the game mechanics to be great, aside from speed, and it is an enjoyable game if you have a few hours to spare for a match...

I visited the shops today to see what they had in the sales and picked up these slices of the illusive

Enemy Territory - Quake Wars
Frontlines Fuel of War (only 3gb of patches to download)
Two Worlds
DarkStar 1
Jade Empire Special Edition

Alright, I need some advice. I've been hyping myself up for Diablo 3 a little too much. I literally cannot wait for it any longer. I'm looking for a dungeon crawl/hack and slasher to quench my thirst until there's at least a release date on it. I'm not too familiar with the genre, but what are some recent games that are in the same league that are worth checking out?

Reading some of the issues people have just patching that game, I've chosen to avoid Sacred 2 like the plague. TQ is hands-down the best Diablo-clone ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back