ps3 controller working under windows

zed

Legend
i assume the right forum
i wonder if anyones tried out the ps3 controller under windows, specifically the motion sensing stuff, ie could i poll to see if the controllers been tilted.
tilt will work very well with what im doing thus are thinking of adding support, if the ps3 controller doesnt work are their other motion sensing controllers that do work under windows or linux? (not the wii one though)

ta zed

Yeah it would be nice to find some drivers for it, I mean it Windows can already detect the controller just not the inputs.

The Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro supports motion sensing control and works in Windows. Probably difficult to find now as it's nearly 10 years old[edit:someone's selling one on Amazon for about $20 inc delivery)
That pad royally sucks, I should have one lying around somewhere.

If the PS3-Pad fully supports USB, its normal controls should work without drivers (when attached via cable obviously). Tilt would require drivers, and no freaking clue about Bluetooth.

That pad royally sucks, I should have one lying around somewhere.

If the PS3-Pad fully supports USB, its normal controls should work without drivers (when attached via cable obviously). Tilt would require drivers, and no freaking clue about Bluetooth.

Yeah, the PS3 controller works alright, there are some drivers available if you google a bit. I've tested them and they work. But no motion sensing detection yet, which is a real shame, and the analog buttons are read digitally.

You probably have to send it a code to make it send the rest of the data?

Yeah, the PS3 controller works alright, there are some drivers available if you google a bit. I've tested them and they work. But no motion sensing detection yet, which is a real shame, and the analog buttons are read digitally.

You probably have to send it a code to make it send the rest of the data?

Sony sends more than power down the USB line? That is nice. MS only sends power. I think you would need a driver for the computer to realize that the buttons are analog and not digital.

Sony sends more than power down the USB line? That is nice. MS only sends power. I think you would need a driver for the computer to realize that the buttons are analog and not digital.

If you plug in the cable between the sixaxis and the PS3, or take it out, you can see the lights flashing indicating that it is really changing from BluTooh to USB, smoothly. So I think you do really switch from BluTooth to USB when you plug in the cable. Quite neat.

(just as nice as how darn fast the PS3 pairs the controller ... press a button and within two secs you're good to go)

just to clarify this is working under windows or linux, doesnt matter which ( linux perhaps has a greater chance since the public often write drivers for various hardware as the manufacturers usually are quite slack ).
im making a space game + i believe tilt is ideal for controlling a spaceship/plane etc, ild luv to add support

Well, what we need is someone who puts a signal reader in between the sixaxis and the PS3, and figure out which signals the sixaxis needs to receive to start outputting sixaxis data. Assuming that it doesn't do so already by default that is, in which case all we need is read out the data from the sixaxis to the USB cable.

I haven't got a BluTooth dongle at the moment, so I can't test that part of linking the controller up to the PC. I'd love to though.

But someone did figure out the wii-mote already, right? I could imagine getting one just to try and see if I could develop something simple for it for the PC - though I'd prefer to get the sixaxis working obviously as I have one already and am currently not planning on getting a Wii. ;)

Back