DS Game Recs?

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
New DS here - anyone got any recommendations?

I was looking for Advance Wars DS, although I'm told that its actually been discontinued here, so I'll have to trawl the second hand bins and eBay for that.

New DS here - anyone got any recommendations?

I was looking for Advance Wars DS, although I'm told that its actually been discontinued here, so I'll have to trawl the second hand bins and eBay for that.

Depends on what kind of games you like, really, and where do you live (or if not, wether or not you want to import).

Both New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart DS are incredible games, although they don't make much use of the touchscreen. In the same vein, Yoshi's Island DS is a neat platformer. Both Castlevania games (Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruins) are great too.

If you like puzzle games, Meteos, Tetris DS and Magnetica are excellent.

There is a a good amount of good adventure games on the DS, such as Hotel Dusk Room 215, both Phoenix Wright games (subtitled "Ace Attorney" and "Justice for All"), and Touch Detective.

You may want to get yourself (or your better half if you have one) one of the "Training" games : Brain Training or Big Brain Academy.

Please don't miss Elite Beat Agent, one of the funniest (and most difficult) rythm games ever. If you don't mind japanese software, you can also import Ooendan.

As far as mini-games compilations go, there are some good examples on the DS like Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, or Wario Ware Touched.

And for RPGs, I'd recommend Mario & Luigi : Partners in Time and Final Fantasy 3.

Advance Wars is an awesome game. My fav DS title. If you like strategy you might also consider looking at Age of Empires DS ( also turn-based).

Meteos is also a really good puzzle game. Really fun and ideal for gaming on the go.

Ouendan / Elite Beat Agent is cool as well. Though the J version was really hard.

As for adventures, let me tell you don't get Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It's not really worth the money. 6hrs max "gameplay" and it's not even good. Just get ScummVM DS running ;-)

New Super Mario Bros is obviously the Jump'N Run to get.

Mario Kart DS is the best MK available ATM. Online works well, only downside is the annoying friends code scheme.

Metroid Prime is prolly the best FPS available for the DS. A bit short if you ask me. Controls work fine. Online is ok. But again FC are just a pain in the ass.

Nintendogs might also be something to look at.

Please don't miss Elite Beat Agent, one of the funniest (and most difficult) rythm games ever. If you don't mind japanese software, you can also import Ooendan.

Dont buy beat agent but buy Ooendan no matter what. Its so much better. Elite beat angels has that cheesy western feel to it while Ooendan is like the game is supposed to be. The music, the stories, it just feels right unlike elite beat agents. Ooendan2 is supposed to be out next month so thats going to be great. Though I wonder where I should buy it now sony was so nice to shut lik-sang down.

Other good DS games are FF3, though I didnt finish it because lack of time. StarFox is pretty cool too though it doesnt have very much replay value and I couldnt be botherd with unlocking each level as you had to replay a whole bunch of levels just to get there. Themepark might be fun too. My only problem with the game is that you do exactly the same thing in each park and dont get different objectives.

Dont buy beat agent but buy Ooendan no matter what. Its so much better. Elite beat angels has that cheesy western feel to it while Ooendan is like the game is supposed to be. The music, the stories, it just feels right unlike elite beat agents. Ooendan2 is supposed to be out next month so thats going to be great. Though I wonder where I should buy it now sony was so nice to shut lik-sang down.

Try Play-Asia. They already have Ooendan 2 on pre-order.

Good recommendations so far. And yes, Advance Wars DS is excellent, while Mario Kart DS is IMO the most essential game for the system.

Whatever happens, do not fall for Children Of Mana. It happened to me. It's an unbelievably poor game.
Metroid Prime: Hunters is a somewhat acceptable single-player game. When you compare it to the Cube Primes it's a real stinker, but it's not horrible or anything. But.
The controls are effective, but also really stressful on the hands, and I'd make that game a very low priority on your list for now, at least until you find out how comfortable you are with using the stylus.

Sorry, yeah, strategy and Puzzle games are probably going to be my main play on this - I already have a PSP for more graphical/action games. Although I'm thinking Mario Kart will be an exception to that rule.

Strategy/Puzzle: Meteos, Tetris DS, Animal Crossing, Brain Age,
Shooters: Nanostray (sequel should be out soon)
Platformers: New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
3D: Super Mario 64 DS
FPS: Metroid Prime Hunters
Racers: Mario Kart DS

I own these and HIGHLY recommend them as quality additions to any library.

Some others that I've heard great things about and want to get myself:

RPG: Final Fantasy III
Platformer: Yoshi's Island DS, Rayman DS
Miscellaneous: Cooking Mama (don't laugh. :)), Trauma Center, Elite Beat Agents, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney,

My kids love Cooking Mama, and Kirby's Squeak Squad.

Nintendogs is great, but they always have to make me do the initial voice training and it drives me nuts yelling at the DS. :oops:

Hmmm, strat and puzzle... Meteos, definitely. It's really absolutely great. I always think of Nanostray when I want a puzzle game ^^; ...but Polarium is actually a better one. Even better than Polarium, IMO, is Magnetica. Puzzle Quest is much better than I initially gave it credit for -- it's puzzle lite in some ways but it's still a great title, esp with friends. Almost any multiplayer game for DS is really nice. DS Download Play is incredible. Mario Kart lets you play 8 players with one cartridge, iirc. Tetris DS is surprisingly good -- it includes more versions of Tetris than I've ever seen -- not counting the homebrew great, Lockjaw.

Strategy-side is much weaker. Don't buy into Advance Wars unless you want a rehash of the GBA titles. IMO, it's terribly overrated. However, if you loved the GBA titles (or haven't played them) then go for it. As a plug for the only strategy game worth the cartridge it's made on, Sangokushi is pretty good. It's Romance of the Three Kingdoms -- but not available in English (and being able to read it is pretty useful). RPG wise, things get much better. Daisenryaku is basically a refreshing take on Advance Wars with a more military theme (AW's main flaw IMO is a stunning lack of worthwhile new features), Japanese knowledge not really necessary. Tank Beat is a pretty nifty action tank game with innovative DS controls -- Japanese isn't necessary but an FAQ helps!

I love RPGs so I know the most about this -- Lost in Blue 1 & 2 are basically living classics -- possibly the best new games of this console generation. Izuna is a fantastic roguelike, but not the greatest portable game, because if you quit, you lose (almost) all your stuff. However, DS suspend mode is amazing. I've left it on suspend for 16 hours before -- after getting a low battery warning! Mario & Luigi Lost in Time is pretty close to perfect (prob depends on how much you liked the Paper Mario series). Pokemon Rangers and Pokemon Pearl are both surprisingly good. Harvest Moon DS is great. Animal Crossing is another game that's great if you didn't already play it for the NGC.

On to other categories, things get much better... Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Wario Ware, Nintendogs (caveat: it is JUST a virtual pet!) and Cooking Mama are all that they're cracked up to be. Hotel Dusk is not, unless you have that patience needed for classically bad adventure games (my g/f does..!). The Castlevanias are solid but basically identical to Symphony of Night (and every bit as good). Lesser known gems include Monster House, Bomberman Land Touch!, Point Blank, Tennis no Ouji-Sama, Kirby Canvas Crush and Power Paintbrush, Custom Robo, Brain Training and Big Brain Academy are pretty good, if you like that sort of thing -- basically puzzle games that track your performance, more on the mathy side of things than the gamey side of things. ;) All that said, we play Clubhouse Games more than any other DS title, probably two or three times as much -- it sounds dumb, and it is. It's a classically gimped version of a few dozen traditional card and board games -- they would leave you scratching your head if it weren't for multiplayer. DS Download Play makes Clubhouse Games the perfect game for any multiplayer situation, with young and old alike, no matter how much free time you have available. Although you likely will have played "better" (more flexible and better AI-ed) versions of almost all of the games included, it also includes the lesser-known Japanese classics, Shogi and Hanafuda.

Others Overrated (IMO, no need to flame!): Lunar Knights, Elite Beat Agents, Rub Rabbits...

I know I've already inundated ou with titles, but "True Swing Golf" is another underrated gem -- and the kids on gamefaqs say they're picking it up out of bargain bins in the US for $4 and $5! It's really a good little golf game that fits nicely between say, a Tiger Woods and a Mario Golf. It never gets so super-shot crazy as the latter and has a little of the customization options of the former. Moreover, it uses the touch screen to swing and has a great little interface!

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl release next week (Tuesday??) in the USA, and at least one version must be played by everyone.
It's a strictly turn-based game, and sufficiently strategic, as progress always requires proper planning. There are random battles, and that's possibly something that will make you not like it, going by what you said here so far.
Otherwise the game should be well known. Large world, lots of different creatures with different abilities that you catch, add to your own arsenal and raise up. Rock/paper/scissors * 100 with RPG elements. It's beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

So far I picked up Brain Training with the unit and already had Sims 2 (picked it up free). I found Meteos in a second hand pile so I picked that up and ended up getting Didy Kong racing as the shop I was in didn't have Mario Kart. I'll probably still pick up Mario, and I have my eye on Age of Empires and will certainly be looking at Sim City when its available.

Dave,

Theme Park might also be worth looking at, even though it's pretty much straight conversion to DS - no new features whatsoever.

I forgot. The Settlers is also coming to the DS as well. Well worth checking out if you liked the series.

Back