New spy footage of 2009 Nissan Skyline GT-R at track

0701_z+2007_chevrolet_camaro_concept+full_front.jpg

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Certainly.

Quite. That thing looks laughably ugly to me :p like the face of a constipated orange decepticon that has got itself caught in a vertical crushing machine. You can see that it feels not only sad, but pain unbearable. :(

You probably can't see the road till 50m in front of you for a start...

:p :devilish:

put leaf springs on their sportscars (what was chevrolet thinking when they put leafsprings on the z06?).

Nothing wrong with leaf springs so long as the wheel location is accurately controlled, and on the C6 generation Corvettes it is. The fundamental spring component may be simple but go beyond that and you'll see the rest of the suspension is pretty complex and accurate.

And no I'm not a big fat American, I'm a skinny little Brit :D

Anyway, just read the comparison test with a few sports cars. The overall ranking was BMW M6, Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette and then Lamborgini Murcielago, in that order.

The 911 smokes the bimmer and the corvette on a run 0-100 km/h, but corvette is faster in reaching 200 km/h.

Anyway, just read the comparison test with a few sports cars. The overall ranking was BMW M6, Porsche 911 Turbo, Corvette and then Lamborgini Murcielago, in that order.

The 911 smokes the bimmer and the corvette on a run 0-100 km/h, but corvette is faster in reaching 200 km/h.

So it seems like the 911 and M6 are the right cars to own in the US, and the Corvette the right car to own in Germany. ;)

Except a Murcielago is about 4 times the price of a Z06, and would cost considerably more to run.

A standard C6 generation Corvette is a LOT of car for the money, its not the most sophisticated car you'll ever find and the Z06 version is a little too track biassed for most, but for the money there isn't much that compare (especially now TVR's are out of production).

Of course unless you are actually there with the money its all academic anyway.

I would still take a Murcielago.

Untill the design error somewhere in the front of the car pops up and you die crashing at high speeds. There have already been multiple accidents with murci's (also the new one) suddenly making a 90 degree turn at high speeds. I'm never gonna set a foot into that car. I'd rather have Ferrari, not only do they have the racing heritage and just build better cars its also alot safer in a crash. But you'll always be scared leaving it on the side of the road because people will spit on it and scratch the paint :(

Except a Murcielago is about 4 times the price of a Z06, and would cost considerably more to run.

Well yeah but you pay alot for the name alone. Its just that a corvette will always be just a corvette while people would look at a lambo in a totally different way. Its just alot more exotic.

A standard C6 generation Corvette is a LOT of car for the money, its not the most sophisticated car you'll ever find and the Z06 version is a little too track biassed for most, but for the money there isn't much that compare (especially now TVR's are out of production).

Yes thats true. Though I'd still buy a atom if I had the money. Completely useless for everyday use (well, people drive motorcycles everyday and this is more comfortable) but probably one of the best ways to spend 35.000 if you are looking for some fun.

How does an ATOM compare?

Depends which ATOM - the ATOM would kill a Z06 up to around 100km/h, but in in-gear acceleration it would be a very close one. I.e. the supercharged Atom (300bhp) acceleartes from 0-100km/h in around 2.9s, and up to 160kmh/100mph in just under 7 seconds. Ignoring gear-changes, that would mean from 100-160kmh (62-100mph) the Atom does it in around 4.0 seconds.

A Corvette Z06 does 0-100kmh (62mph) in around 4 seconds, but accelerates to 160kmh (100mph) in only 7.9 seconds, which gives a time from 100-160kmh (62-100mph) of around 4 seconds as well.

Anything over 80mph / 128kmh and I would put my money on the Z06 of out-accelerating a supercharged ATOM, the difference in performance becoming even larger the faster you get.

Having that said, usuable realworld performance, I'd rate the Z06 and the supercharged ATOM to be in the same ballpark.

Cheers Phil

The atom isnt really build for heigh speeds. Its top is only 225kmph. Its build for tight cornering. It only accelerates so fast because it doesnt weight anything.

Bah..forget the ATOM I want a KTM X-Bow. Why? Well it has two seats. :p
Oops I didn't know the Atom was a two seater two.:oops: Still the X-bow looks way better.

6240764.w600.jpg

6240779.w600.jpg

It only packs about 400bhp/tonne though. ;) Give me a Caterham R500 over an Atom or X-Bow any time, any day. :p

In fact, I'm convinced an R500 is still quicker on track than an Atom 2.

Well yeah but you pay alot for the name alone. Its just that a corvette will always be just a corvette while people would look at a lambo in a totally different way. Its just alot more exotic.
So your're more concerned about looking cool in a exotic?
Really concerned how peoeple view you, aren't you ;)

Well that is one of the reason people buy exotic cars. They want to be seen, hopefully that is second to the love for the car.

Im not really concerned what people think of me, but a corvette just doesnt mean anything to me. Its just a car that looks kinda normal and happens to have some pretty good performance. If you say Ferrari I think of art on wheels. Cars in wich every nut and bolt is specifically designed for that car and designed in such a way that it is as good as it could have been. Cars that are build and designed with love and cared for by the company. What other company must choose you to buy one of their cars? (ofcouse that doesnt go for every Ferrari).

Back