PS3 Rubber Ducky game coming!

Either there is a load of sarcasm I'm not picking up on here or I am way, way, waaay out of touch on fun gaming. It's a game based on tilting a pan of water around to make ducks follow each other? I have to be missing something here.
When I started the thread, I had no idea what the game was. Knowing it's a tilty game, I'm dubious of its appeal myself too. I was hoping for something much closer to the tech showcased in the E3 demo, perhaps with ships bobbing around shooting at the duck, splashing him towards hazards and stuff. Just tilting a pan of water is too limited for me. Unless it incorporates amazing fluid dynamic control with wave machines, whirpools, etc.

When I started the thread, I had no idea what the game was. Knowing it's a tilty game, I'm dubious of its appeal myself too. I was hoping for something much closer to the tech showcased in the E3 demo, perhaps with ships bobbing around shooting at the duck, splashing him towards hazards and stuff. Just tilting a pan of water is too limited for me. Unless it incorporates amazing fluid dynamic control with wave machines, whirpools, etc.
From what I've read, you control the big duck by tilting the controller, and your mission is to collect all the little ducks and take them to the 'Exit' point. Don't know how the game will game as it becomes more difficult (perhaps later levels will incorporate the ships - finger's crossed), but this is what I read @ PSiNext forums.

I love that duck. It's starting to become SONY's mascot for this gen. Love it!;)

What I don't understand about the tilt is this, if you tilt the tray the water stays level right? So how can you use the tilt to move the duck since the water always stays perpendicular to the gravitational direction?

I think it would be more interesting if they added a gameplay mechanic where you pour water drops to knudge the duck along due to the ripples created. For example you have a bucket of water from above that you control with the tilt, the more you tilt the more water flows from the bucket and the more "thrust ripples" you have to move the duck. In fact you could probably make a whole game using water just like Monkey Ball uses a rolling ball. You would have to come up with different levels though. :cool:

I think it would be more interesting if they added a gameplay mechanic where you pour water drops to knudge the duck along due to the ripples created. For example you have a bucket of water from above that you control with the tilt, the more you tilt the more water flows from the bucket and the more "thrust ripples" you have to move the duck. In fact you could probably make a whole game using water just like Monkey Ball uses a rolling ball. You would have to come up with different levels though.
Yep. And tie it in with EyeToy so you can dip items into the water and splash them around - you'd end up with something interesting and engaging. From that first demo 2 years ago, I'm pretty disappointed they haven't shown some super VR EyeToy goodness with very high interactivity.

IGN said:
Unfortunately, given that success in a level is entirely dependent on bringing as many ducks to the exit as possible, you've got no choice but to restart after even the tiniest, unsalvageable mishap.
I wonder if the reviewer has ever played those ball-in-a-maze games where you tip the maze to navigate the ball to the end? Because they have exactly the same dynamic. One mistake and you have to start all over again.

The reviewer is obviously a sissy-lightweight who wants his games in the namby-pamby pandering style. No frustrating controls and progressive difficulty and challenges? Pah!

I wonder if the reviewer has ever played those ball-in-a-maze games where you tip the maze to navigate the ball to the end? Because they have exactly the same dynamic. One mistake and you have to start all over again.

The reviewer is obviously a sissy-lightweight who wants his games in the namby-pamby pandering style. No frustrating controls and progressive difficulty and challenges? Pah!

Well, I'll get the game anyway and I'll be sure to post here if I agree with the review or not. :)

Back