IGN: Another Xbox 360 bites the dust.

Yeah I don't get people going through crazy numbers like 5 either.

As said before, the refurb units that are being returned here (in Germany) seem to be very inadequately tested. I'm on #5 as well, as all of the refurbs I've received only worked for a month at most (except for my current one — but then I've played a lot of Wii and now WoW). And that is not due to placing them in a cabinet / crappy power / not taking good care of them...
You shouldn't be living in this constant state of "fear" for something you paid $/€400 (what was that noise? Is the DVD drive making strange vibrations? ...)

Microsoft apparently has a habit of swapping returned Xbox 360s with refurbished Xbox 360s, which likely were returned due to hardware failures. So if your Xbox 360 never broke, you're golden. If it did, you may be in for a long ride of dead consoles.

This is exactly what happens. I'm on my fourth...they told me if this one failed within 2 weeks like the last one, they'd ship me a new one. But until your 3rd failure, you don't get new ones. I didn't get a new one the last time because it'd been a month since my last replacement (couldn't play it much due to me moving across the country),therefore wasn't an "immediate failure" and didn't count...

Wow, so in this topic alone, we have five quite reasonable people describing sequential failures..

Take the 70 or so unique *registered* readers (about right for 900 views), subtract the 30 or so that don't own an xbox360 yet, and you've got over 10% of the community suffering SEQUENTIAL failures?

to me, that is mind boggling.

They sent me a refurb.. My launch unit died (most likely due to the power outage that we had). Hell at least most of you got sent a box from MS, I had to ship mine myself. (18 buck ground :devilish:)

This is exactly what happens. I'm on my fourth...they told me if this one failed within 2 weeks like the last one, they'd ship me a new one. But until your 3rd failure, you don't get new ones. I didn't get a new one the last time because it'd been a month since my last replacement (couldn't play it much due to me moving across the country),therefore wasn't an "immediate failure" and didn't count...

I got a new unit for both of my repairs. First one was also from the first batch (since my initial unit failed on the exact launch day), second one was manufactured in Sept 2006 (and sent in December) and didn't have a scratch or a single mark of use.

BTW, I consider myself pretty unlucky when it comes to consoles, since I managed to score a defective Wii of all things... :oops:

Wow, so in this topic alone, we have five quite reasonable people describing sequential failures..

Take the 70 or so unique *registered* readers (about right for 900 views), subtract the 30 or so that don't own an xbox360 yet, and you've got over 10% of the community suffering SEQUENTIAL failures?

Well, MS reported that repair cost and warrenty issue affected their bottom line. So there is some significant broke down console rate..."According to Microsoft, repair expenses and the extension of the 360 console warranty from nine months to a year in the US and Canada ate into the division's profitability."

Source:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22385

Im on my third one now. I have the warranty through ms after I saw a the big surge on 360's having problems at launch which is when I got mine. I'm so dissatisfied because I have received nothing but refurbished from MS and each time Ive gotton the refurb I know its only a matter of time.

One problem seems to be glaring with my experiences, my systems all "bricked" due to updates for games. First one was from Rockstar table tennis patch and the second was from the Rainbow Six patch. I hope this trend does not continue as I have heard similar stories about patches being possible causes for these problems.

After the second console went down (right before the holidays and right after release of GOW enough was enough. I finally went down to Best Buy and bought a second one with extended warranty. MS should give people that have legitimate console problems a current system after two failures. (And yes my system is properly ventilated etc. etc.) Whoever said they got a new console (Scooby?) and received it from MS consider yourself lucky because your the only one I know that received a new and not refurbished unit.

I will use my Best Buy console from now on so if this one does go down then I will simply go down and get a new one. Lesson learned I guess but funny thing is I have an original Xbox with a Thompson drive and I bought it on launch day and it still works today. Luck of the drawn and I have had bad luck so far :)

Go figure :/

A friend of mine is getting problems with booting games. Sometimes there`s just a white screen with an error message.
I told him it`d be better to send it in in time, but he don`t wants to quit gaming now. He just got a brand new HDTV.

Whoever said they got a new console (Scooby?) and received it from MS consider yourself lucky because your the only one I know that received a new and not refurbished unit.

Well considering they took nearly 9 weeks to complete the return service, they better damn well give me a new one!

It seems to me all the units made from late-April onward are rock solid, I know a few people with them as well and all are perfect.

My launch system is still going strong. It's out of warranty though (I never bought an extended one from MS). Apparently I'm one of the "lucky ones"...... :|

Your logic baffles the mind. You do realize that the thread title is visible without viewing the thread, and that attracts people who have similar experiences to join the conversation, right?

Good God, I hope you never lead a research project, as it would be rife with testing and procedural biases.

Maybe someone could just start a new thread with a poll. Unless one already exists. Since we are more than a year in now, it would be interesting to see how many launch day machines have failed/not failed now. And how many total have failed.

I still have my launch system, its never once locked up or had any problems. It gets played 3-4 hours daily.

I think some people either have bad luck or are clearly just BS'ing or mishandling thier units.

My machines still working but does suffer from frequent crashes. It's possible to tell whn it going to happen though as the drive makes a really unsettling crunchy noise first.

I have lost three DVDs and two games (N3 and Oblivion) to it so far, badly chewed the edges of the discs up.

Your logic baffles the mind. You do realize that the thread title is visible without viewing the thread, and that attracts people who have similar experiences to join the conversation, right?

Good God, I hope you never lead a research project, as it would be rife with testing and procedural biases.

No, the topic title is completely neutral. You can argue it either way: Just as many people who did NOT have problems may rush to open the topic, curious to know what they are in for, or eager to defend their working console.

No matter which way you cut it, it is mind boggling that a number of people in this TINY community, have SEQUENTIAL xbox360 failures. They didn't register to post their story, after all. By the most optimistic math, a vast number of owners vs other consumer electronics, vs wii, vs ps2 launch, vs ps3 launch, have experienced sequential failures..

No, the topic title is completely neutral. You can argue it either way: Just as many people who did NOT have problems may rush to open the topic, curious to know what they are in for, or eager to defend their working console.

No matter which way you cut it, it is mind boggling that a number of people in this TINY community, have SEQUENTIAL xbox360 failures. They didn't register to post their story, after all. By the most optimistic math, a vast number of owners vs other consumer electronics, vs wii, vs ps2 launch, vs ps3 launch, have experienced sequential failures..

No, the topic would obviously draw people who have also had a machine fail. People who've never had a problem with their console are unlikely to care that IGN has had 'another 360 bite the dust'.

Back