LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think to check IGN :oops:
Still, I can't say I see your point. These pics show an open desert view with some nice enough background scenery and otherwise little of interest, and Lair shows a mostly open sea view+hills with little of interest. Apart from a high quality bumpy floor in Lair versus a flat ground in HS, I don't see Lair as being richly interesting. Both are bland in these screens, only HS a little moreso. And HS has vastly superior pyrotechniques. Neither is packing detail in the large-scale environments, based on what's been seen.
I'm not saying one is overall better than the other, just that environment-wise, HS is not superior to Lair.

I can all but gurantee that Warhawk will be a very similar but significantly better game...
Why's that? Contrary to most people, the flying segments on all the Rogue Squadron games have been very good.

The Rogue games were pretty hit and miss! At the very least inconsistant!

Incognito/Singletrac games have consistantly been some of the most thoughtfully designed and downright fun games I've played since the Playstation 1 dropped.

And the short bits of gameplay I've seen from both unfinished games only strengthen my feelings on the matter.

Can somebody explain why F5 used laser scanned maquettes when they ended up not even using the 3D data which is painfully obvious from these screenshots:???:

The art is good, the tech is good, the detail is good, even the lighting is technically good... Yet when they all come together it looks it just doesn't look right. These are certainly less than the sum of their parts...

I think it's just the use of colour is a primary problem.. It's all mud

Where is the colour...?

I can all but gurantee that Warhawk will be a very similar but significantly better game...

But I may buy Lair in it's stead as a show-off game. Because I am an aweful human being. =(

It is always good to have Factor5 when you wan to promote a console from a technical point of view.

The art is good, the tech is good, the detail is good, even the lighting is technically good... Yet when they all come together it looks it just doesn't look right. These are certainly less than the sum of their parts...

I think it's just the use of colour is a primary problem.. It's all mud

Where is the colour...?

What an insane difference colors could make.

Nice! And scans, so will probably removed from this forum soon. Still ... Looking cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
What an insane difference colors could make.
ppl who know me know im a huge fan of colorful stuff
but i see this not really fitting in with this game,
check out a lot of fantasy films like LOTR or this crap film about fighting dragons from a couple of years ago etc
in the fighting scenes, mordor etc the colors are very brownish, fitting a wasteland

check out a lot of fantasy films like LOTR or this crap film about fighting dragons from a couple of years ago etc
in the fighting scenes, mordor etc the colors are very brownish, fitting a wasteland

Possibly, however I'd also say one of Jackson's/weta's more subtle abilities is the use of colour. Lotr is actually very very vibrant, it's just the mood effects the filter and is often used to show decay, etc. All the main characters/races are very colourful (except the orcses :)), gollum, for example - is almost always show in a blue light, theoden (is that his name?) goes from 'ice' to deep red and golds. Yet in those lair pics, there is an abundance of brown and grey. The sky for example, almost perfect grey.

Btw to clarify the photoshop job I did was on my laptop, which is under saturated, so I overdid it somewhat.

Possibly, however I'd also say one of Jackson's/weta's more subtle abilities is the use of colour. Lotr is actually very very vibrant, it's just the mood effects the filter and is often used to show decay, etc. All the main characters/races are very colourful (except the orcses :)), gollum, for example - is almost always show in a blue light, theoden (is that his name?) goes from 'ice' to deep red and golds. Yet in those lair pics, there is an abundance of brown and grey. The sky for example, almost perfect grey.

Btw to clarify the photoshop job I did was on my laptop, which is under saturated, so I overdid it somewhat.

[edit]
Actually, now I look at the shots again - on a decent saturation monitor, it looks much better. So I guess ignore this - however I'll leave the post as is :p
My laptops saturation is quite terrible really :p

Thanks Graham ! Your picture is worth a thousand words. Now which Factor5 Email can we send your work to... :)

They were released on the 9th of January though. Can you link to proof that they're from an old build (not that I disbelieve you, but we need corroborating facts.)

i don't have a link but i have already seen in september like said idsn6.Only in a different resolution : )

wow@ those pics. even though some of them if not all are from the old build, they still look fantastic in the sheer scale and the detail of models. i really hope factor5 would release the latest build. every inch of this game is filling every inch of my need for ps3.
apparently firingsquad is having a heavenly time with the game"the CES build".
"It has to be said up front; Lair is easily one of the best looking games we have ever seen. From the highly detailed character models of the dragon itself to the huge bridge level in the demo to the thousands of enemy soldiers to fry on the bridge to the photo realistic water, there is nothing to complain about in the visual department. Factor 5 is taking the PS3's hardware to town for Lair and that alone might make it worth a look."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back