PS3 HDD replacing/upgradeing

I've a Scorpio Blue in my laptop and I'm mightily impressed with how fast, cool and quiet it is. It'd be my current choice for putting in a PS3.

I've a Scorpio Blue in my laptop and I'm mightily impressed with how fast, cool and quiet it is. It'd be my current choice for putting in a PS3.
I agree. Even the 3.5" WD Blue is fast, quiet and cool. I have both a 2.5" Blue in an enclosure and a 3.5" in my desktop. Dunno about the 2.5" Blacks, but the desktop version runs quite hot but are obviously faster. Personally, I would recommend the Blue just because they probably run cooler and are probably quieter, plus it's probably cheaper and it is quite fast. On the other hand, the Black is faster and does have a 5-year warranty vs 3-year on the Blue.

I used to be a Seagate guy until I bought a couple of the 7200.11 drives that needed a firmware update. Also had to RMA one due to clinking sounds. The Seagates I've owned also were quite loud in comparison. Have yet to have an issue with a WD drive. I'm also quite happy with my P7K500 500GB Hitachi so far.

I've been using a 500Gb WD Blue since I got my Slim and it's working a treat, very quiet, and cool running.

Hi,

I replaced my original launch 60GB in preparation for Torne
with a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 - 16MB. It's ultra-quiet
and quite fast. I can actually tell the XMB icons load quicker.

The only problem I had was taking the casing off of the original
HDD. The 4 screws were extremely tight, and although I took
it to two PC dealers neither could get any of the screws to turn.

I eventually plugged in the new HDD without the casing, and
crammed in a piece of folded-up foil in the dead space to
ensure it wouldn't slide out of place should I ever drop my
PS3 :eek:

Oninotsume

God forbid any CE device gets hot enough to spontaneously ignite paper! If your foil is on the casing-side of the HDD, it shouldn't really be an issue, but I think the risk on bits of foil getting inside is more of a hazard then the risk of combustibles getting hot enough to combust. Certainly not at the 40-50 degrees C a hot HDD may reach.

God forbid any CE device gets hot enough to spontaneously ignite paper! If your foil is on the casing-side of the HDD, it shouldn't really be an issue, but I think the risk on bits of foil getting inside is more of a hazard then the risk of combustibles getting hot enough to combust. Certainly not at the 40-50 degrees C a hot HDD may reach.

As minor a point as it seems, foil may also introduce / change the RF signature of the device... It may radiate more... or it could even be better shielded... but that may impact something as well.

Hi,

I replaced my original launch 60GB in preparation for Torne
with a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 - 16MB. It's ultra-quiet
and quite fast. I can actually tell the XMB icons load quicker.

The only problem I had was taking the casing off of the original
HDD. The 4 screws were extremely tight, and although I took
it to two PC dealers neither could get any of the screws to turn.

I eventually plugged in the new HDD without the casing, and
crammed in a piece of folded-up foil in the dead space to
ensure it wouldn't slide out of place should I ever drop my
PS3 :eek:

Oninotsume

I messed up one of the screws. Took out the last one using a long nose plier.

You don't say !

I was doing so well. Got distracted by the TV and looked up. I lost my grip a little and meshed the screw head. Went apeshit. :LOL: I only needed 1 or 2 more twists.

Did mine yesterday. Was easy enough (on a Slim) however upon rebooting I needed to attach a USB stick with a firmware update in a specific folder. Would have been nice to know before - no guides I read on the net highlighted this :/ I don't usually have a spare key but fortunately I could use my Ipod in disk mode.

PS3 works much better now - games are actually working for the first time in months. Yay for me! The backup tool actually reintroduced the speed drop (which tells me it was likely a data corruption somewhere along the way rather than a dead disk) however I manually backed up each save and redownloaded all my old content. No more three beeps at each turn-off of the machine, getting to the XMB in less than a minute, and no more audio stuttering in games. Phew.

Edit: and no murdered screws in the process :)

My 2.5" enclosure is a little too big for my 500GB WD Blue so it rattles around a bit. I too used aluminum (aluminum foil duct tape) to make it more of a snug fit. I guess I'll use something else.

So with my ongoing dead PS3 issue, am I able to put the old drive in an external enclosure and draw saves off of that drive, or am I generally out of luck in terms of that data?

So with my ongoing dead PS3 issue, am I able to put the old drive in an external enclosure and draw saves off of that drive, or am I generally out of luck in terms of that data?
It won't work like that since it's encrypted. Your PC won't recognize the partition. The only way to get stuff off of that drive, unfortunately, is to put it back in the original PS3 it came from and make it work. Any other PS3 you put it won't be able to use it until it's formatted.

Oh and since I replaced my fatty with a 120GB slim, I see no reason for a bigger drive in my PS3. Its video/music organization/renaming capabilities as well as video file format capabilities are so limited that I'm using a HTPC for that purpose. My PS3 is used only as a game console/blu-ray player. It may only do everything, but it's not that great outside of these 2 core areas.

It won't work like that since it's encrypted. Your PC won't recognize the partition. The only way to get stuff off of that drive, unfortunately, is to put it back in the original PS3 it came from and make it work.

I had meant an external enclosure to the PS3 though; didn't know whether it would be able to read some of the basic files off of it (audio, video, game saves, etc) - not the actual game installs themselves of course. But of course you're just confirming what I already knew anyway... that unfortunately I'm screwed. :p (there's no way the original PS3 ever sees operation again)

Back