Surprise surprise, 360 HDDVD showed up in my mailbox today

So you're joining the ranks of those who say that a n*350 jpeg can contain more detail than an n*480 jpeg?

Oh god no ...

I think what he is trying to say is that if you take 2 pictures of the same resolution, and 1 picture has more detail than the other, that difference will still be noticable even if you downscale both pictures to a lower resolution.

I think what he is trying to say is that if you take 2 pictures of the same resolution, and 1 picture has more detail than the other, that difference will still be noticable even if you downscale both pictures to a lower resolution.

Let's throw accuracy out of the window then!

Our main point is that that silly comparison just isn't accurate because of the size of the pic.

they're both downscaled from the master tho. one is just down scaled more than the other. downscaling both of them to a new lower resolution will show no difference detail wise between them, since both have been downscaled as much as each other from the master.

Experiment:

Take a picture A at 1080 lines, and downscale it to 480 lines (which we'll call picture B). Now downscale picture A to 350 lines (picture A'), and downscale picture B to 350 lines (picture B')

Will A' look better than B'? Barely, but not nearly enough to convey how much better A is than B.

well I picked one up tonight. :smile:

won't hook it up til tomorrow since I'm playing online GoW and Cod3 tonight.

Also, don't expect any great revirew as I'm not a videophile but I can tell the difference between HD and non HD content. I just expect to say WOW. :oops: :D

Tried to find one at three local circuit city's and all sold out :( (I have a $40 off coupoun)

Maybe next week! So far the avsforum reviews has been excellent. Same PQ as the Toshiba but much faster load times. It's also quiet.

Here's a link to the $40 off coupon at Circuitcity for those interested:

http://www.badongo.com/file/1668694

Picked up a second one tonight at CC. $160 for HD-DVD player, remote and King Kong can't be beat! Taking the one I bought at EBgames back tomorrow.

Picture quality is just as good as the Toshiba A1 player I had. In otherwords it's excellent! And upscaled DVDs looks fantastic through VGA. If you can find one it's definitely more than worth the price of admission.

Wait, are we arguing that HD-DVD isn't better than DVD? Has anyone seen/heard Batman Begins? There iS a difference between the two. The question becomes is the difference worth 200 dollars. If it is then get one. If not then don't. The same arguement has been made about the difference between BR and DVD, and up till recently BR wasn't that much better (or I should say looks worse than HD-DVD).

I dunno, I am enjoying my newfound high def movies (while I am at my parents house). From there I have to make believers out of my inlaws.

Uhm... no.
We were discussing whether a 350*300 picture can show the difference between SD and HD.

Ahhhh, okay.. nevermind, carry on...

IMO, wouldn't it depend on the size of the file (compression)? I mean if I just resize a tiff and somehow keep the file size the same wouldn't the smaller picture have as much information as the original?

Oh for god's sake.

This is a 3M pixel image (click on the image once the page loads to see the full size - bit like HD material on big screens)

This is a 640*480 pic of the same thing (if you blow it up to the same size as the 3M one, it's a mess - bit like DVD footage on big HDTVs)

And this is an image created after resizing both pics to 350*263.

No difference, even though the first 3M pixel image was obviously much more detailed than the second image. So the comparison between HD footage and SD footage from tiny 350*300 pictures is useless, as you won't see the detail you see while watching HDDVDs on big HDTVs, and you won't see how crappy DVD material looks compared to it on the same big screens.

End of discussion

Now, back on HDDVD on 360.

Except you don't understand that the original two images were on the same size screen to begin with and its resolution is much higher than standard DVD. Upscale that 640x480 image to the screen's native resolution and then you'll see it looks like garbage compared to the highres image downscaled to the screen's native res. In the end these differences will be apparent no matter what resolution the two comparison images are at. Your comparison above is worthless because the 640x480 image wasn't upscaled.

Trying to manipulate images on a PC to prove your point isn't going to work either because of the differences in scaling algorithms and the fact that he took images of an LCD display (which don't handle resolutions lower than their native res very well).

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, here's a comparison to show you. These images are untouched except for a resize. You'll have to forgive the moire on the HD-DVD shot (my camera is sensitive to that because of its detail pickup).

DVD @ 480p from my Panasonic S77 over HDMI

ffdvdsmallex8.jpg

HD-DVD @ 1360x768 from my 360 over VGA

ffhddvdsmalltt6.jpg

Now, that other guy did do some post-processing on the HD-DVD shots (likely unsharp mask by the looks of the surroundings), but the differences are apparent between the two.

I'll try to get some better comparison shots as soon as I can (including trying to reduce the moire).

Except you don't understand that the original two images were on the same size screen to begin with and its resolution is much higher than standard DVD. Upscale that 640x480 image to the screen's native resolution and then you'll see it looks like garbage compared to the highres image downscaled to the screen's native res. In the end these differences will be apparent no matter what resolution the two comparison images are at. Your comparison above is worthless because the 640x480 image wasn't upscaled.

Uhm no, i understand very well. In fact i said that if you blow up the 640*480 image to the same size as the 3M one, you'll get the same effect you get when watching DVDs on big screens. A blurry mess.

Trying to manipulate images on a PC to prove your point isn't going to work either because of the differences in scaling algorithms and the fact that he took images of an LCD display (which don't handle resolutions lower than their native res very well).

The images are untouched, what are you talking about?

Come on, wisen up and read properly.

This is what happens when you blow up the lower res pic to the same size as the 3MP image. (click on the image to see the full size)

Compare it to the original 3M image (click on the image to see the full size)

Huge difference

now look at the two images resized to 350*263. Do you see the same difference?

Thank you.

Like I said, it doesn't work when you manipulate the images on a PC (manipulate as in play around with the sizing). Resizing algorithms are different and LCD displays don't handle resolutions lower than their native res very well. When you take a picture of an LCD displaying the two different resolutions the differences become apparent. Look at my images above.

Here's another comparison. The differences are apparent, but Tokyo Drift isn't exactly the best looking HD-DVD there is (it's good, but a lot of it is dark and gritty which can hide some detail). My other dual format disc is Slither and that's also darkish.

DVD

ffdvdsmall2fj6.jpg

HD-DVD

ffhddvdsmall2ta0.jpg

well the HD DVD player was a snap to connect and set up. I set mine vertically next to the HDD. Takes up about 2.5".

The image quality and dashboard features are great! Better than my Hidef content over my HD cable. Playing (1080/60i) on a CRT btw. Loads lightning quick and the menu features during the movie, kick butt. sound is phenomenal (5.1)

Very happy with it, just wish I would have picked up another good showcase movie like Batman Begins. My local Hollywood video is supposedly carrying HD DVD movies beginning in two weeks so I should be all set as I do not purchase many movies and prefer to rent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back