Surprise surprise, 360 HDDVD showed up in my mailbox today

Rangers

Legend
Heck if I hadn't stopped by Gaf before I stepped outside, it would have been even more of a shock. But gaf had clued me in it was already filtering out. I thought it wasn't till the 17?

Mainly I pre-ordered one from ebworld.com one with the prospect of ebaying what I thought might be a rare item. However a check reveals so far little eba interest. So I'm considering returning it, so I haven't opened it. So I cant give any impressions. Alls I can say is the box it comes in is very small. So I thought maybe this thread could be for impressions as others should be getting it. And also, hope this belongs in consoles!

And here it is teh niftyxxerrs the oil quart happened to be on the table so I used it for a size comparison.

As you can see it comes with the King Kong movie (which I would actually be interested in watching if I keep it) and apparantly, the universal media remote as well? I did not know that. Also the USB cable and two batteries even. So you are getting a complete package for 199.

Edit: Apparantly the universal media remote is a limited time throw-in according to Xbox.com.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by a moderator:
Received mine today. I did have a moment to watch some of king kong on my 50" HD CRT and was pretty impressed with the image quality. I'm not sure if it is because its "HD" and its the best source material ive seen on this set or because of the quality of playback - but it was very good.

The best way to describe the quality of the playback was that for the first time, for me, movie playback didnt feel like it was on a console the way it has on the xbox and ps2. The menus in the intro and during playback felt very similar and were as responsive as the HD-A1 i have in the basement. The in-movie u-control PIP feature was very responsive and worked very well. Didnt have a chance to try SD DVD playback on it yet.

So far i'm very pleased with it and it seems as if it will fill in for HD playback in the fmaily room and on a vista PC admirably.

Glad to finally see talk of it over here. There's a huge thread over at AVS about the drive. Many people have it already and the feedback is extremely positive. I got the automated call from my Gamestop earlier this evening that my drive will be in tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to pick it up!

For anyone wanting a nice visual comparison between standard DVD and HD-DVD see this post:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.php?p=8364052&postcount=37

Nice link. Perfect example of DVD vs HD DVD. Yep, if I didn't have a HD-A1 already, I'd be snatching this up in a heartbeat. Output quality is on par with the HD-A1 which is fantastic! much better loading times in the add-on than the standard player also. For $199 with King Kong and remote, that's a killer deal.

Oh god no ...
I'll only say this once and will then remove myself from this thread: the displayed picture, the one that is supposed to demonstrate a difference in quality between, presumably, 480i and 720p, occupies no more than 350 pixel lines.
So the clearly visible differences are completely negated because the images are small?

If you want I'll take some highres pics with my Nikon D50 after I get the add-on today (on a 32" Westinghouse LCD (LTV-32W6)): standard 480p DVD, upscaled DVD to 720p, and HD-DVD at 1360x768. I have one of the best upconverting stand alone DVD players available (Panasonic S77) so it should be interesting.

Got it earlier this evening. I watched a little bit of two movies and now I'm watching MI:3 at the moment. The video quality is amazing... very nice leap over DVD (including upscaled). Here's my current "collection" so far:

- MI:3 2 disc collector's
- Sleepy Hollow
- King Kong
- Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
- Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift (DVD/HD-DVD combo)
- Slither (DVD/HD-DVD combo)

I'll use the two combo movies for the image comparisons. I'll try to get to it as soon as I can.

So the clearly visible differences are completely negated because the images are small?

Well yes. You can only see a slight difference in contrast and a bit more detail, but the images are too small to see the real difference.
The HD picture should be at least the resolution of the HDDVD image to resolve all the detail. What we got here is 2 downscaled pictures, one from SD and one from HD, and as such they can't give the impression they should give.
If you want I'll take some highres pics with my Nikon D50 after I get the add-on today (on a 32" Westinghouse LCD (LTV-32W6)): standard 480p DVD, upscaled DVD to 720p, and HD-DVD at 1360x768. I have one of the best upconverting stand alone DVD players available (Panasonic S77) so it should be interesting.

Please do! High-res pictures will show the difference much more than small pictures.

*sigh*
Are you pulling my leg?

The "good" image is 350 pixels high, below DVD resolution, and DVDs aren't terribly lossy either.
What follows is that the "good" image, which is supposedly better than what a DVD can achieve, can in fact be put on a DVD and look just like that.

Either the comparison is fabricated by some marketing punk or the HD-DVD is heavily retouched, to, err, specifically ease such "before - after" glory. Because, again, 350 pixel lines is enough to have an image that looks just like that on that monitor you're looking at just now, and the same goes for anywhere else. It doesn't take HD resolutions.

Clearly you haven't seen HD-DVD in action. DVD can't look "just like that". I've gone back to DVD after watching my HD-DVD's and like many people have stated, they look like VHS now.

Here's another guy with resized images of King Kong:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.php?p=8371398&postcount=93

You have to keep in mind the size of the displays these images are on and what type of display when you're drawing conclusions like you are. DVD doesn't come anywhere close (even upscaled). HD-DVD smokes it.

*sigh*
Are you pulling my leg?

The "good" image is 350 pixels high, below DVD resolution, and DVDs aren't terribly lossy either.
What follows is that the "good" image, which is supposedly better than what a DVD can achieve, can in fact be put on a DVD and look just like that.

Either the comparison is fabricated by some marketing punk or the HD-DVD is heavily retouched, to, err, specifically ease such "before - after" glory. Because, again, 350 pixel lines is enough to have an image that looks just like that on that monitor you're looking at just now, and the same goes for anywhere else. It doesn't take HD resolutions.

The image is downscaled, so none of what you're saying is relevant at all. When downscaling an image you can retain the detail from the higher resolution source.

Clearly you haven't seen HD-DVD in action. DVD can't look "just like that". I've gone back to DVD after watching my HD-DVD's and like many people have stated, they look like VHS now.

Here's another guy with resized images of King Kong:

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showpost.php?p=8371398&postcount=93

You have to keep in mind the size of the displays these images are on and what type of display when you're drawing conclusions like you are. DVD doesn't come anywhere close (even upscaled). HD-DVD smokes it.

It's clear HDDVD looks a lot better than DVD.
But comparing two 350*300 pixel pictures to prove a point on how 1920*1080 material looks better than 640*480 material is just inaccurate.

Weren't you going to take high-res pics?? :D (not that i need proof! i have seen both in action and know full well how good HDDVD looks :) )

The image is downscaled, so none of what you're saying is relevant at all.
You were so close. That freakin' redneck comparison isn't relevant because it operates at low resolution. The fact that it showed a difference at all before the bandwidth limit was exceeded proves that it was a sham to wow buffoons, an insult to intelligence that ought to be punishable by law.
scooby_dooby said:
When downscaling an image you can retain the detail from the higher resolution source.
So you're joining the ranks of those who say that a n*350 jpeg can contain more detail than an n*480 jpeg?

Oh god no ...

Back