Multi-GPU and dual displays?

freka586

Newcomer
I have, with great dissapointment, noted that neither Nvidia SLI nor their SLI-on-a-board version supports dual display with SLI enabled.
Does anyone know if the same limitation exists with ATI Crossfire?

Is this something one could hope to be solved as multi-GPU technology matures?
I can think of lots of high-end workstation scenarios that would benefit from the added horsepower of SLI setups, where dual display output is a requirement.
I fail to see why this limitation exists, but then again I am not a hardware developer ;)

I thought you could now use the 'master' SLI card for dual displays? Or do you still have to disable SLI... Not sure about Crossfire either.

Crossfire is not capable of dual-display set ups, since the second slot on the master card for the second display is occupied by the connection cable between the two Crossfire connected cards.

AFAIK you should be able to plug two displays on SLI configuration. But outputs on slave card will be disabled. Did you try any other driver then 91.47?

Reactions: Geo
AFAIK you should be able to plug two displays on SLI configuration. But outputs on slave card will be disabled. Did you try any other driver then 91.47?
When SLI is enabled, one of the outputs on the master card is disabled. You can, of course, disable SLI to enable all four outputs.

You could buy a Matrox dualhead2go or tripplehead2go. I have the tripplehead2go and it seems ok.

Back