VGA or Component?

Deepblue

Regular
I'm using a 37" LCD with a native res of 1360 x 768. Does anyone know which connection would give me the best picture on my 360?

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, VGA provides a more discreet signal, and from what I have seen, the internal scaling performance of the 360 exceeds that of the vast majority of digital displays.

Thanks. I guess I'll be picking up a VGA cable then.

Here's the thing, pick em up at bestbuy or something. Try them out and see what looks best to you? It may turn out that there's no noticable difference at all and you can just take the VGA cables back ;)

Does the output from the component cables even look remotely out-of-place though?

I tried both VGA and component cables on my TV (samsung 720p dlp) and the component cables actually looked better to me on my set.

Here's the thing, pick em up at bestbuy or something. Try them out and see what looks best to you? It may turn out that there's no noticable difference at all and you can just take the VGA cables back ;)

Just curious: how does that work?

If you don't kill yourself on opening that box, it is at least in a state where they can't put it on sale again...

It really shouldnt matter which one you get, VGA or Component, they both are of similar quality, and if I were knitpicking, and I mean really really knitpicking I would say I prefer VGA ever so slightly over Component, but you'd be hard pressed to tell teh different in my opinion.

Isn't the signal the same anyway wheter you use a VGA or component cable.
It's just the conecto at the end that's different.

It depends more on your TV set which, if either, will give you the better picture.

VGA, picture is clearer and more detailed. You may have to turn the brightness down to make the picture better.

VGA on the X360 also upscales movies to 720p and 1080i.

Isn't the signal the same anyway wheter you use a VGA or component cable.
It's just the conecto at the end that's different.

The difference is that you can set PC monitor resolutions with the VGA adapter i.e. make use of the Xbox 360's scaler instead of the television's.

I tried both VGA and component cables on my TV (samsung 720p dlp) and the component cables actually looked better to me on my set.

That's because your TV is native 720p and doesn't do any scaling. Also Component is known to show colors a bit better than VGA. With VGA you'll have slightly duller colors but on certain TV sets (like the one in the original post) where the resolution isn't native 720p the VGA cables will give a "sharper" pictuer.

Just curious: how does that work?

If you don't kill yourself on opening that box, it is at least in a state where they can't put it on sale again...

Doesn't matter what state the packaging is in really. As long as they can see the barcode and all the contents of the package are there you can bring it back within 30 days. If it's in resaleable condition Bestbuy usually puts it out on the floor as an "open box item" which gives you like 20% off or something.

Doesn't matter what state the packaging is in really. As long as they can see the barcode and all the contents of the package are there you can bring it back within 30 days. If it's in resaleable condition Bestbuy usually puts it out on the floor as an "open box item" which gives you like 20% off or something.

Hm.....so what's stopping my friend and I from ah... well.. him just buying something, getting a refund, and me just getting it essentially new for cheaper :?: :LOL:

On my monitor VGA looks a lot better than Component, but I belive this is becouse of bad component implementation on it.
It is not nice to lose support for 1080i with VGA cables, but it's better than not being able to read anything on the screen.

VGA, picture is clearer and more detailed. You may have to turn the brightness down to make the picture better.

VGA on the X360 also upscales movies to 720p and 1080i.

Does VGA really upscale?!?! I thought it displayed DVDs at 480p.

That might be the deciding factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
VGA will upscale DVD playback to whatever res you have the 360 set to. (before the update it drpped resolution to 640X480) Component drops res to 480p during dvd playback (why? who knows).

On my 37" 1080p lcd VGA looks alot better than component. I've seen friends TV that have no difference. I guess my TV has cheap component circuitry or something.

Back