PS2 outselling XBox 360

ihamoitc2005 said:
Also, I think fall in USA is good time for more Xbox360 sales because of new school semester and every one wants console in their dorm room.

Isn't that when students dutifully spend their student loans on useless purchases? ;)

Do they list the raw numbers for GRAW and other titles?

If it's a couple of million, that's really good. If it's a couple hundred thousand, then that's somewhat expected in the spring and summer.

Rancid is right. While we may be fortunate enough to not consider these costs as "high" for our budgets, from average Joe's perspective they are, especially considering a new dell with a flatscreen can cost you less.

Parents don't know about all the details of hardware requirements. They just know lil Timmy wants something he can play games on. They'll think "hey, i could spend this money getting my kid a video game console OR a new computer which they can use for school stuff and still play games on." Frankly, the PC is the smarter decision, if you're a parent in this scenario.

The 360 = 400 + 50 (controller) + 100 (2 games) = $575+ including taxes.
The PS3 = 600 + 50 + 100 = $800 including taxes.

These are not cheap by any standards. Not everyone is on the net all day looking into the details of what they can and can't do. While we all like to talk about the potential and capabilities, we're the minority. To the consumer, you're paying $600-$800 for video games.

wco81 said:
Do they list the raw numbers for GRAW and other titles?

If it's a couple of million, that's really good. If it's a couple hundred thousand, then that's somewhat expected in the spring and summer.
You're missing the point. Regardless of total number, and regardless of comparisons to other formats, GRAW for Xbox 360 was the fastest selling title for Ubisoft ever.

But to answer your question: it's somewhere in the middle of the two...

not surprising. i'm expecting Microsoft to cut the price of both SKUs by $50 this holiday, and then by another $50 when the 65nm version is mass produced.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3026

Well for what it's worth some MS blogger claims no price drop this year. I dont put much stock in it just because he said it, and I think they'll drop "if needed", but I dont think a drop is a sure thing. Besides, I'm sure a PR guy will downplay drop suggestions so people wont put off purchasing one now.

But really, a no drop strategy would emphasize that MS are fine with their current sales levels, and that's kinda what I think. The demand will probably be there in fall with the big titles hitting and the other consoles hitting anyway.

RobertR1 said:
The 360 = 400 + 50 (controller) + 100 (2 games) = $575+ including taxes.
The PS3 = 500 + 50 + 100 = $700 including taxes.

Fixed. The X2 premium should be compared with vanilla PS3, because they have HDDs of same size and a wireless controller included. Eventhough even the vanilla PS3 has a built-in Blu-Ray player and built-in wireless adaptor, unlike the X2 premium.

But if we want to do a completely fair comparison...

Xbox2 = 400 + 50 (extra controller) + 100 (2 games) + 100-150 (HD-DVD add-on) = 650-700

PS3 = 500 + 50 + 100 = 700

They're not that much far apart after all.

.Melchiah. said:
Fixed. The X2 premium should be compared with vanilla PS3, because they have HDDs of same size and a wireless controller included. Eventhough even the vanilla PS3 has a built-in Blu-Ray player and built-in wireless adaptor, unlike the X2 premium.

Xbox2 = 400 + 50 (extra controller) + 100 (2 games) + 100-150 (HD-DVD add-on) = 650-700

Since we're on this "even the playing field for all features" kick, why not throw in the cost of a media center extender on the ps3 scale as well k? ;)

The point the original poster was making was that these machines cost a lot to the average consumer and for parents wanting to get their kids the latest and greatest games machine, it will cost $500-600 for ps3 and $300-400 for 360 (and $200-250 for Wii ;) )

Reactions: Sis
Hardknock said:
The fact that a $100 console is outselling a $400 one is news folks?

If you look at it from a Revenue perspective ($400 vs. $129) and ($60 vs. $50) the Xbox 360 trumps the PS2, GC and Xbox combined.

This is really a non-issue.

I am not sure what sort of launch subsidy there is on the Xbox 360, but if you look at profits instead, you will probably find that the PS2 and GC beat Xbox 360 hands down. (Xbox 1 has a hard drive which wouldn't have dropped in price by as much).

I don't think that sunk in enough, so let me:

TheChefO said:
The point the original poster was making was that these machines cost a lot to the average consumer and for parents wanting to get their kids the latest and greatest games machine,

It's from the perspective of the majority of people, they view it as machine to play games with, nothing more.

TheChefO said:
Since we're on this "even the playing field for all features" kick, why not throw in the cost of a media center extender on the ps3 scale as well k? ;)

The point the original poster was making was that these machines cost a lot to the average consumer and for parents wanting to get their kids the latest and greatest games machine, it will cost $500-600 for ps3 and $300-400 for 360 (and $200-250 for Wii ;) )

I was surprised at the PS2 (and GC and Xbox 1) still going strong when I expected that sales would dip due to people saving up for next gen consoles even if they couldn't afford them now. As far as the cost of the consoles is concerned, I thought that the difference in price wasn't that big in the context of cost of the games they are going to buy anyway. Clearly the consoles are not competing for the same market like the last gen, and all three next gen consoles may end up in it's own market niche.

RancidLunchmeat said:
The only reason MS hasn't dropped the price yet, is because they aren't worried about the PS2. The people who are buying PS2s right now aren't going to buy a 360 in the next 3 or 4 years anyway.. Not until t he 360 comes down to $149. So MS is positioning themselves against the PS3, and that's all they care about out selling.

lunatic Ken doesn't agree with you

G: The messages are clearly different between XBOX 360 and PS3. XBOX 360
pushed the image that they could prepare a solid game console as a platform.
PS3 emphasized the possibility of the technologies.

K: This time, Microsoft clearly profess that they are chasing PlayStation.
However, what they are chasing are not PLAYSTATION 3 but PlayStation 2

SPM said:
I was surprised at the PS2 (and GC and Xbox 1) still going strong when I expected that sales would dip due to people saving up for next gen consoles even if they couldn't afford them now. As far as the cost of the consoles is concerned, I thought that the difference in price wasn't that big in the context of cost of the games they are going to buy anyway. Clearly the consoles are not competing for the same market like the last gen, and all three next gen consoles may end up in it's own market niche.

By original I meant Rancid, which was followed up by RobertR1 which was responded to by Melchiah. Sorry I didn't make that clear.:oops:

I Love Kuta Quotes! They make me smile any time any day.:D

.Melchiah. said:

Do we know if the $500 PS3 comes with Component cables, headset, remote and media center extender? Might aswell add those in there aswell ;)

Sis said:
Unless you are saying that the Xbox 360 software sales are soft, this isn't relevant. I was not attempting to draw a comparison with other systems; based on the information I have, which includes software charts and NPD, I believe software sales are strong, especially for some key titles such as Call of Duty, GRAW, and Oblivion. To me, this is a good indication that software is not the issue with Xbox 360 hw sales.

I'm not addressing the argument about software as an issue that was raised by another poster. I responded to this

"This would be true if not that Xbox 360 tends to lead in software sales with multiplatform titles, even when up against a product with ~30 times the install base."

Which was actually making a comparison with other systems. It was a small point, it was tangental to your debate with the other poster.

Hardknock you just touched one something I've been wondering as well. Cables?

Will the PS3 come with an HDMI cable for the top end model or will that be another $50 on top!? If they include HDMI, are component users forced to pony up $50? Will they include them both?? Neither? What about component for the base model?? You would think that they would include component cables with the base, but that's some juicy money on the table....

.Melchiah. said:

Sigh....can you not see that I'm not doing a direct comparison and simply what's the most desirable from each camp and how potential buyers will examine it?

Potential buyers being the mom and dad, looking to get lil Timmy his bday or christmas gift. Just because both consoles are mentioned in the same context doesn't mean it's a direct comparison.

It's almost not worth posting an opinion and having people jump to conclusions before even attempting to comprehend the text or context it's in.

scooby_dooby said:
Hardknock you just touched one something I've been wondering as well. Cables?

Will the PS3 come with an HDMI cable for the top end model or will that be another $50 on top!? If they include HDMI, are component users forced to pony up $50? Will they include them both?? Neither? What about component for the base model?? You would think that they would include component cables with the base, but that's some juicy money on the table....

:LOL: Considering they don't have a "core" model, if you don't have a tv that accepts the component cables of the $500 unit you'd have to buy $20 cables on top of that cost just to get the thing up and running! THAT would be something! "I just paid $500 for the thing and you're telling me you won't exchange the cables that came with the fricken thing for composite video!!!???!!!" -'sorry sir, store policy' ahhh that would be a great scene! ...

They have to include them, probably similar to the multi-out cables of the 360 premium.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheChefO said:

But then you have to throw in the cost of the media center PC, without which the media center extender doesn't mean anything.:p

Might be cool if there was an X360 equivalent of the XBMC.

Back