WiiGeePeeYou (Hollywood) what IS it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, no you don't..

Firstly bus width has absolutely no connection with the ability to perform stencil buffering. Second Flipper's memory bus to main memory is 64bit not 48bit. Finally, am I right in thinking that you've just tried to claim that GC could not render shadows?.... :oops:

Ok,yes,I remember for that N pattent about the pre-calculated shadow ,and yes,you can cast shadow even multitexturing(use the fram buffer as a texutre),but for a fast and nice shadow you need a stencil buffer.Of course there is workaround,but the majority of the developers are used to the stencil buffer.

No,it is not about the flipper-main memory bus , but about the bus to the flipper internal frame buffer .

Yes. On Gamecube, self-shadowing is done with some weird self-referential texture coordinate look-up method and doesn't seem to be connected at all to the use of a shadow map for the character's shadow.

The self-shadowing on the characters in the indoor missions in Rebel Strike was extremely glitchy. Part of it was that they had self-shadowing with multiple light sources. It was way more complex than anything I'd seen that generation, but it also didn't work right.

Oblivion on PC has self-shadows that don't work right. In fact, they don't appear to work any better than the self-shadows the Quake 3 engine supported back in 1999.

Ok,yes,I remember for that N pattent about the pre-calculated shadow ,and yes,you can cast shadow even multitexturing(use the fram buffer as a texutre),but for a fast and nice shadow you need a stencil buffer.Of course there is workaround,but the majority of the developers are used to the stencil buffer.

No,it is not about the flipper-main memory bus , but about the bus to the flipper internal frame buffer .
what about shadow maps? just because developers are used to a stencil buffer (and that's using a pretty broad paintbrush to paint the development community with, i think) doesn't mean that there aren't viable alternatives.

Again bus width isn't relivant, for stencil buffering or anything else really since its always a case of bus width x clock speed (bandwidth). For instance PS3's XDR memory uses only a 32bit bus but you wouldn't claim that PS3 can't do stencil buffering because of its narrow bus (since that narrow bus runs at 3.2Ghz :))

Also Flipper has a 386bit bus to its framebuffer (where did you get 48bit from?..), which is a extremely wide bus for the time. So there would be no argument here even if bus width was relivant.

Last edited by a moderator:
And, uh, bomlat, did you forget that there are actual Gamecube games with self shadowing? Rebel Strike and Rogue Leader both do it, and one of the bosses in Star Fox Adventures all had self-shadowing. So it doesn't matter if you can't imagine how the Gamecube could do it, the fact is that it did.

In the case of no-anit aliased frame the memory controller have 4*48 bit with interface,in the case of the AA frame the mem controller use 4*96 bit with bandwith.
Possibly the TEV can use te extra 48 bit to do early Z reject.

It is weird,I have to say that.

Ok, due to this,if the N implemented stencil buffer into the mem contoller than it have to have now a 4*128 bit with (4*64 for the normal pixels and 4*128 for the AA pixels) path and it mean bigger frame buffer (by 33%) too.

And of course,with shadow map you can d many interesting trick,but the issue is the next: you have a scene,where the light source is in the wiev fulstrum,and the shadow casting objec is near to you,but the distance to the lighht source is 10* bigger than the distance between you and the object.Result? Big pixels in ths shadow.(even with bi linear filtering) and big filrate impact.(and you can't use multi texturing for it,due to the slow main memory)

In the case of no-anit aliased frame the memory controller have 4*48 bit with interface,in the case of the AA frame the mem controller use 4*96 bit with bandwith.
Possibly the TEV can use te extra 48 bit to do early Z reject.

It is weird,I have to say that.

Ok, due to this,if the N implemented stencil buffer into the mem contoller than it have to have now a 4*128 bit with (4*64 for the normal pixels and 4*128 for the AA pixels) path and it mean bigger frame buffer (by 33%) too.

And of course,with shadow map you can d many interesting trick,but the issue is the next: you have a scene,where the light source is in the wiev fulstrum,and the shadow casting objec is near to you,but the distance to the lighht source is 10* bigger than the distance between you and the object.Result? Big pixels in ths shadow.(even with bi linear filtering) and big filrate impact.(and you can't use multi texturing for it,due to the slow main memory)

What is the TEV unit capable of?

The new screen shots for Godzilla Unleashed look very nice. This is like the first game since Rogue Leader to have BUMP MAPPED SNOW! You can look at the huge screens for a closer look at the details, and you'll see bump maps on Godzilla's leg. I always thought they could have used some bump mapping even back on the Gamecube. Not even SSX Blurr has bump mapped snow! From the interview, it sounds like the developers will spam indirect textures again. Seems to be a trend with Wii games these days. Oh well, at least they're putting more effort into their games. Now that people have started using some more advance Gamecube effects, when do you think they'll learn to use some Wii effects?

You can read about it at IGN. http://wii.ign.com/articles/759/759955p1.html

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050214916-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050219025-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050217712-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050216384-000.jpg

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube version also had bumpmapped creatures (though the environments were incredibly bland).

That does look better than the xbox version though, finally, 2 games that look better than what an xbox 1 can do!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the Gamecube version also had bumpmapped creatures (though the environments were incredibly bland).

Nope, the original did not have any bump mapping.

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/479/479976/img_1581281.html

Compare this picture to a LARGE version (not the small ones I posted) of the first pic I posted. Look at Godzilla's leg texture to the lett of the IGN logo and you can see the bump maps.

I agree the environments were incredibly bland in the first game. They sure do look better in the Wii version. Let see them go crazy with the bump mapping now!

Those Godzilla pics look really nice (for Wii of course ;) ).

Really, I just think Nintendo should have made 60fps a standard in all their games. It kinda takes away from the bleh textures and low polygons sometimes.

Those Godzilla shots do indeed look pretty nice. Looks like if nothing else the TEV must have gained some kind of boost to indirect texturing.

Nope, the original did not have any bump mapping.

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/479/479976/img_1581281.html

Compare this picture to a LARGE version (not the small ones I posted) of the first pic I posted. Look at Godzilla's leg texture to the lett of the IGN logo and you can see the bump maps.

I agree the environments were incredibly bland in the first game. They sure do look better in the Wii version. Let see them go crazy with the bump mapping now!
the original Godzilla DAMM does have bump mapped characters. they are pretty easy to see in action.

Nice work for someone who never pushed GC before.

Full-screen effects such as bloom and heat haze enhance the ambience of each scene with blinding explosions, glaring sunsets. You'll actually see the heat coming off Godzilla atomic breath as it blasts through everything in sight.

Our buildings have always been one-hundred percent destructible -- but we weren't satisfied with that. We've amplified our destruction behavior, and now the buildings deform and char dynamically with your attacks. It really increases the immersion factor of the game to carve the buildings with your attacks. We're punching up our destruction audio as well -- for the most destructive Godzilla game ever.

This totally turns the "canned" animation system of past fighting games on its head. Godzilla can be walking in one direction, attacking with his claws in another, firing his weapon in a third direction, and swinging his tail at a rear target all at the same time.

This seems a nice game for MP.

The new screen shots for Godzilla Unleashed look very nice. This is like the first game since Rogue Leader to have BUMP MAPPED SNOW! You can look at the huge screens for a closer look at the details, and you'll see bump maps on Godzilla's leg. I always thought they could have used some bump mapping even back on the Gamecube. Not even SSX Blurr has bump mapped snow! From the interview, it sounds like the developers will spam indirect textures again. Seems to be a trend with Wii games these days. Oh well, at least they're putting more effort into their games. Now that people have started using some more advance Gamecube effects, when do you think they'll learn to use some Wii effects?

You can read about it at IGN. http://wii.ign.com/articles/759/759955p1.html

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050214916-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050219025-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050217712-000.jpg

godzilla-unleashed-tba-20070130050216384-000.jpg

pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back