Ubisoft announces Assassin's Creed (formerly Project Assassin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad_Boy said:
Uh, its obvious they are talking ps2; and your analogy is kinda iffy. If you increase a penny by 8x, it's not the same as increasing a quarter by 2x.
It's not iffy at all, they've increased the amount of data that must be loaded by 8x, yet they've only increased the rate at which it can be transferred by 2x, so your ratio of readspeed:storage space just took a nosedive.

Everything about that statement reeks of PR, not just one sentance.

Shifty Geezer said:
If so, and Ubisoft have garnered so much interest in this game, why aren't they advertising the fact it's coming to XB360?
http://assassinscreed.uk.ubi.com/
Not advertising a game you're making strikes me as pretty odd. I'd have thought they'd be making a big noise getting XB360 owners to put away their cash for that game rather than spend it on other titles.
So why didn't EA advertise for FN3 last summer? Makes no difference.

AC just had a massive 11page spread, and a cover story in Game Informer, it's getting all the advertising it needs.

A much better question you should be asking is why didn't they state exclusivety in any of their press releases? why was it intentionally left out? Why in the leaked ubisoft list, which these past months have show to be totally legitimate, did it list them as same day release?

Anyways, we'll see, most of the internet rumours going around have proven to be completely false lately, so I'm not putting alot of credence in this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
So why didn't EA advertise for FN3 last summer? Makes no difference.

AC just had a massive 11page spread, and a cover story in Game Informer, it's getting all the advertising it needs.

I think the point that Shifty is alluding to is that the "Playstation 3" logo is on the assasin creeds flash website and the 360 is not. As a casual web browsing webmonkey, it gives the impression that it's not for 360, or is at least a timed exclusive.

drpepper said:
I think the point that Shifty is alluding to is that the "Playstation 3" logo is on the assasin creeds flash website and the 360 is not. As a casual web browsing webmonkey, it gives the impression that it's not for 360, or is at least a timed exclusive.

As far as I'm concerned that means nothing, if they were going to announce a 360 version it wouldn't be by inclusion of a logo on their website, it would be in an official press release. If it was a PS3 exclusive, again, we wouldn't be notified by a logo on their website, but in a press release stating it's exclusive.

scooby_dooby said:
It's not iffy at all, they've increased the amount of data that must be loaded by 8x, yet they've only increased the rate at which it can be transferred by 2x, so your ratio of readspeed:storage space just took a nosedive.
Like I said its iffy, using your logic your saying the 360 has suffered a similar nosedive. (which really isnt the case, 12x is pretty good compared to xbox1) Going from 5x(xbox1) to 12x(360) is only a 2.4x increase. As I said before, Blu-ray's streaming and capacity advantage looks to be perfect for the route Ubisoft seems to be going. Although, the extent of their multiplatform work is yet to be known; which is why i'm interested in how a 360 version would turn out compared to the ps3. Technically/Graphically, its nothing the 360 cant do, but the things working in the background play a role in how they would differ.

scooby_dooby said:
Everything about that statement reeks of PR, not just one sentance.
The sentences I selected were opinions of the developer, not fact like the others. Which is why those sounded like PR talk to me. Sounds like they are saying something you personally dont want to hear?

Bad_Boy said:
Like I said its iffy, using your logic your saying the 360 has suffered a similar nosedive. (which really isnt the case, 12x is pretty good compared to xbox1) Going from 5x(xbox1) to 12x(360) is only a 2.4x increase.

Which i'd agree with. That's why I expect load times to actually increase this gen on 360, and especially on PS3.

scooby_dooby said:
Oh come on, if you can't tell that entire paragraph is PR nonsense then you're a lost cause.
Thats your argument? lol Maybe I'm the only one actually being serious about the quote.

Bad_Boy said:
Thats your argument? lol Maybe I'm the only one actually being serious about the quote.

No that's my opninion, if you can't tell that's PR there's something wrong with your critical analysis abilities. He exagerates the benefits, ignores the weaknesses, does not discuss any drawbacks, what more do you want?

scooby_dooby said:
Which i'd agree with. That's why I expect load times to actually increase this gen on 360, and especially on PS3.
So you expected 40x dvd-roms this time around? that is 8x of the orginal xbox.

scooby_dooby said:
No that's my opninion, if you can't tell that's PR there's something wrong with your critical analysis abilities. He exagerates the benefits, ignores the weaknesses, does not discuss any drawbacks, what more do you want?
lets look at it this way, look at the all the lines....
"Our focus is 100% BluRay, so I cannot compare with HD-DVD." - not opinion
"The capacity is immense, and the Data Transfer Rate is way beyond what we are used to. " - not opinion
"And that's really important, because Data Streaming (OPMED: where the console constantly loads new data from disc)"- not opinion
"The Playstation 3 HDD is something that we have so far given less attention to, because it hasn't been certain all that long yet that it will be standard on every console." - not opinion

the lines that I selected...
"I can only say that the new BluRay disc format is truly awesome." - pr talk / opinion
" is truly the only way to push next-gen games to the limit. " - pr talk / opinion

Strange you still do not see my point.

It's not necessary to fill all of RAM before you draw a scene...unless you presume you need 512MB of new data for each frame or rather game tick. Given this and the fact you can stream from both the disk media and the HDD at the same time...I would say the "nosedive" to streaming on either platform is not quite so definite or inescapable as has been described. I would diasagree with a "nosedive" to streaming performance being the case actually.

Bad_Boy said:
Strange you still do not see my point.
But even the so called facts are presented in a way that they are spun. For example "the Data Transfer Rate is way beyond what we are used to" he only presents one side of the 'facts' the whole story is that, while the transfer speed is higher, its not that much of an increase and the assets that must be transferred are much larger. He's not telling the whole story, classic PR.

Why the urge to prove/disprove whether their statement of Blu-ray is true or not.
Obviously they're satisfied with it, besides, they were specifically asked about it, it's not as they just slipped in the remark there by request.
That is going nowhere.
Discuss about the game rather.

scooby_dooby said:
But even the so called facts are presented in a way that they are spun. For example "the Data Transfer Rate is way beyond what we are used to" he only presents one side of the 'facts' the whole story is that, while the transfer speed is higher, its not that much of an icreasem and the assets that must be transferred are much larger. He's not telling the whole story, classic PR.
Assets growing is a given with next gen, does he really need to state such things? What would you like him to say?..."drives are faster, but assets are larger, so everything evens out?" In context of the quote, it seems the blu-ray drive helps way more than hurts so the upside to larger assets is that they also have a much faster drive than they are used to. Sorry I do not see the PR in that. Really, what speed drives did you expect from next gen consoles?

rabidrabbit said:
Why the urge to prove/disprove whether their statement of Blu-ray is true or not.
Obviously they're satisfied with it, besides, they were specifically asked about it, it's not as they just slipped in the remark there by request.
That is going nowhere.
Discuss about the game rather.
Agreed. The new screens look sweet. :D

Bad_Boy said:
"drives are faster, but assets are larger, so everything evens out?"
Bottom line is he's spinning something thats bad (low optical disc speeds) as being great by comparing it to a last generation system and ignoring the fact that ram has increased 16x compared to 'what they're used to'

If you really think these are truthful, honest, non-PR comments then so be it.

I hope to see you here when AC releases on 360 on a single DVD-9 disc, and you can admit it was a bunch of PR rubbish.

Bad_Boy said:
Then again it could just be PR dribble. Who knows. ;x

The data streaming comment is absolutely PR. Saying a 2x BluRay is "way beyond what we are used to" is PR-BS unless of course he is talking about the PS2/Xbox/GCN.

Personally, the HDD and in particular the RAM on the new consoles is more important to streaming worlds.

Shifty said:
If so, and Ubisoft have garnered so much interest in this game, why aren't they advertising the fact it's coming to XB360?

On the reverse, why did MS advertise it at X05?

It is typical of timed released games (like FNR3, GRAW, GTA:SA, etc) not to mention the other platforms until AFTER you have released the exclusive. The reason for the timed exclusive is to generate sales, and the PS3 does need software at launch to differentiate itself. It wont matter to PS3 owners if the 360 gets the game 6 months later. But if it is as good as reports say, having it on both platforms come Fall could be a negative to sales, or even the knowledge the 360 will get it a few months later. One of the few exceptions: RE4 for the PS2, and that caused a crapstorm.

Companies pay for timed exclusives for a reason. Maximizing the effect is to create the perception that it is an absolute exclusive.

EDIT: Scoob beat me!

Acert93 said:
The data streaming comment is absolutely PR. Saying a 2x BluRay is "way beyond what we are used to" is PR-BS unless of course he is talking about the PS2/Xbox/GCN.
I'm sure they are talking about PS2. If they were talking about the 360, not only would it be PR, but it would be a flat out lie.

scooby_dooby said:
Bottom line is he's spinning something thats bad (low optical disc speeds) as being great by comparing it to a last generation system and ignoring the fact that ram has increased 16x compared to 'what they're used to'
again, what are you expecting? a 16x increase in DVD-Rom/BRD speed? Be realistic for a minute. pennies and quarters.

scooby_dooby said:
I hope to see you here when AC releases on 360 on a single DVD-9 disc, and you can admit it was a bunch of PR rubbish.
Huh? I never said anything like that, I never mentioned once that AC would not be on a DVD9 on the 360. Selective reading? I'm saying that there might be different content (whether different compression methods, holding localized content for every version of the game, extra/different content, or just simply different ways of doing things) as Ubisoft seems to be making the most of blu-ray. No matter how hard you want to twist it, it seems they are enjoying it more than anything; helping more than hurting. If you think things you dont like to hear is automatically PR, then so be it. Lets just wait, until then, lets follow rabidrabbit's suggestion and talk about the actual game.

It's really getting redundant as you seem to miss my whole point.

Bad_Boy said:
again, what are you expecting? a 16x increase in DVD-Rom/BRD speed? Be realistic for a minute. pennies and quarters.
I'm expecting an honest assesment of the streaming capabilities. A 12x dvd is perfectly feasible at this point in time, to be given half of that, and try and pass it off as great by comparing it to a 6year old system is nonsense.

Of course we couldn't maintain the same ratio of read speeds to memory, but that's beside the point. I'm talking about him spinning a bad thing as a good thing, which is my definition of PR. In 2006, having a drive that is ~1/2 to 2/3 the speed of a 12x DVD is not a good thing.

Ubisoft seems to be making the most of blu-ray
Oh are they really? I didn't know that. Personally I'll wait for the 360 version to see how much use they made of the BR drive, not listen to a dribble from a PR person.

Anyways, lets just drop this, I'm sure no-one is too interested in hearing us debate forever about the degree of 'PRness' in this statement.

As an aside, here's the leaked ubisoft list from march:

* July 2006: Enchant Arms (Xbox 360)
* November 2006: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 5 (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PSP)
* November 2006: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (PS3)
* November 2006: Rayman 4 (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PS2, Handheld)
* November 2006: Blazing Angel 1.5 (PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox)
* February 2007: Brothers in Arms 3 (Xbox 360, Rev, PS2, NDS)
* February 2007: Brothers in Arms 2: Earned in Blood (PSP)
* March 2007: Tom Clancy's Firehawk (PS3, Xbox 360)
* March 2007: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 4 (PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2)
* March 2007: Naruto (Xbox 360)
* March 2007: Assassin (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PSP)
* Spring 2007: Game 5 (PS3, Xbox 360)
* Spring 2007: Ninja Turtles (PS3, Rev, Xbox 360, Handhelds, current gen consoles)
* TBA: Lumines 2 (PS2, PSP)
* TBA: Alive (PS3, Xbox 360)
* TBA: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic (PS3, Xbox 360)
* TBA: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Mission Pack (PS3, Xbox 360, PSP)

BIA was initially announces for Q4 06, but then pushed back to Q1 2007, EM had no publisher when this list was released, we now know ubisoft is releasing it, Naruto was confirmed for 360 very recently, time after time this list is proving accurate....maybe it's just my tinhat speaking, but if I had to bet, I would say a March release of AC on both 360 and PS3.

scooby_dooby said:
A 12x dvd is perfectly feasible at this point in time
Make up your mind lol, what happened to 2x nosedive?

scooby_dooby said:
I'm talking about him spinning a bad thing as a good thing, which is my definition of PR. In 2006, having a drive that is ~1/2 to 2/3 the speed of a 12x DVD is not a good thing.
Spinning? I think your looking way more into it than should be. Look again in context, when comparing last gen to next gen there really is minimal downsides to a faster and larger drive avaliable to you. How you twisted a 2x increase as a bad thing is beyond me. Selective reading isnt fun. Ubisoft are not the only developers praising blu-ray.

scooby_dooby said:
Oh are they really? I didn't know that.
"Our focus is 100% BluRay, so I cannot compare with HD-DVD." seems like they are and plan on taking big use of it's features. Why you keep dragging this on is also beyond me. making something out of nothing.

* February 2007: Brothers in Arms 2: Earned in Blood (PSP)
I wonder how that will work out. FPS's are really iffy without a second analog stick.
* November 2006: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 5 (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PSP)
* February 2007: Brothers in Arms 3 (Xbox 360, Rev, PS2, NDS)
Definately pickups for me. :D

Bad_Boy said:
"Our focus is 100% BluRay, so I cannot compare with HD-DVD." seems like they are and plan on taking big use of it's features. Why you keep dragging this on is also beyond me. making something out of nothing.

He was asked some stupid question about HD-DVD vs BR and he replied with an equally stupid fluff statement about how great BR is, even going as far as to cover up for the relatively slow read speeds (relative to the competition, and the technology available today) by comparing them to a 6 year old system.

The only one making something out of nothing is you, as you actually think that this has real meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back