Tons of new features to be added to PSP!!!

Kb-Smoker

Regular
All taken from ign.

-psone emulator service for the psp
-Macromedia Flash will be included with a spring Network update
-Starting this fall, the PSP will use RSS channel features. Video and voice-over-IP will release in October in "motion jpg" format. The PSP's own version of the EyeToy will launch a month earlier in September and the peripheral will feature EyeToy Play and video chat. The camera is sliver and it attaches to the USB port.
-Bootup from Memory Stick
-downloadable game service
will edit when more is known

http://psp.ign.com/articles/696/696051p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the PSOne controller have 4 shoulder buttons?
I have a vague memory that at least the very original, non analog controller only had 2. I might be wrong though.

If not, maybe the emulated games will be selected those that didn't need to use the 4 shoulder buttons and both analogs.
One thing's for sure, that they won't offer 100% backwards compatibility with PSOne on PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
Did the PSOne controller have 4 shoulder buttons?
I have a vague memory that at least the very original, non analog controller only had 2. I might be wrong though.

I have one of the original controllers in my hand now and I can assure you it has 4 shoulder buttons.

Fruitfrenzy said:
I have one of the original controllers in my hand now and I can assure you it has 4 shoulder buttons.
Ok, thanks. I also checked via googulator and indeed it has always had 4 sholder buttons.
Then, there is maybe no other option for Sony but to select such games from the PSOne backgatalogue that can easily be adapted to PSP controls.

Kb-Smoker said:
How do you think they will handle the lack of 4 shoulder buttons for PS1 emulation?

:?:

I assume PS1 games will be modified for PSP? I don't think every game on PS1 used all 4 shoulder buttons anyways.

Regardless, the PS1 emulator sounds awesome. Now bring on Castlevania Symphony of the Night......I'd love the play that on the go :smile:

I think the more challenging thing will be to fit the Games into Widescreen. A few specific games would be easy, but most will require heavy modification (SOTN being a good example) - thats assuming they arent simply stretched or surrounded by black bars.
But hey, maybe that means they will add perspective-correction while they cripple down the games to 16:9 ;)

I guess its a safe bet however that it will require special care for each game supported.

Npl said:
I think the more challenging thing will be to fit the Games into Widescreen. A few specific games would be easy, but most will require heavy modification (SOTN being a good example) - thats assuming they arent simply stretched or surrounded by black bars.
But hey, maybe that means they will add perspective-correction while they cripple down the games to 16:9 ;)

I guess its a safe bet however that it will require special care for each game supported.

I would guess that they would simply use black bars. Why go through all that trouble to specifically adjust individual games when you have no clue how well they would do?

Another global solution would be to algorithimically stretch the screen hopefully in a non-linear fashion so that corners are stretched more than the center.

Ty said:
Another global solution would be to algorithimically stretch the screen hopefully in a non-linear fashion so that corners are stretched more than the center.
Has anything ever done that?

The one thing I want is a flash hard drive (around 4 gigabytes). Sony would be crazy to pass up on something this convenient.

Those fish-eye modes look ghastly, especially on pans. Screens that keep the centre more 4:3 like have even more extreme warping at the edges, with arms and hands and noses getting stretched farcically. This isn't a sensible solution for anyone to consider. Blacks bars limiting it to 4:3 is the only sensible approach IMO.

Shifty Geezer said:
Those fish-eye modes look ghastly, especially on pans. Screens that keep the centre more 4:3 like have even more extreme warping at the edges, with arms and hands and noses getting stretched farcically. This isn't a sensible solution for anyone to consider. Blacks bars limiting it to 4:3 is the only sensible approach IMO.

Well given my theory that games will contain more (& faster) panning, your implied premise that it will be more noticeable is probably valid. However, given the anecdotal evidence from the people at AVS that feel the NEC Stadium stretch works really well, I'm going to have to disagree with your belief that it looks ghastly. If I can find one I'll throw up a pic of CNN (with ticker) so you can see just how "ghastly" it isn't.

Back