Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror [IGN review]

Corwin_B said:
Looks incredibly good, but I'm wondering about the aiming, which works with the action buttons... I remember using such a setup on my Dreamcast with Outtrigger, and the controls were awful, but the game was very fast-paced. Is the action in Syphon Filter slow enough that the aiming isn't a major problem ?

here were the controls from the beta/demo

Classic-

X- Fire
Square- Strafe Left
Circle- Strafe Right
/\- Snap to Wall
R- Target Lock
L- Manual Aim
D-Pad Up- Interact/Zoom In
D-Pad Down- Crouch/Zoom Out
D-Pad Left- Hold for Gadget Select/Tap to toggle gadget on/off
D-Pad Right- Hold for Weapon Select/Tap to switch firemodes on current weapon
Analog- Move/Turn

Advanced-

X- Move Back
Square- Strafe Left
Circle- Strafe Right
/\- Move Forward
R- Fire
L- Manual Aim/Target Lock
-Pad Up- Interact/Zoom In
Analog: Free Aim

Standard-

X- Aim Down
Square- Aim Left
Circle- Aim Right
/\- Aim Up
R- Fire
L- Manual Aim/Target Lock
-Pad Up- Interact/Zoom In
Analog- Movement Forwards,Backwards/Strafe

I sure there will be control scheme that you will like. :cool:

typoEDR said:
SOCOM vs. Syphon Filter?

Since I own SOCOM, I will say this--the single-player campaign is decent, but is nothing compared to the multiplayer mode (something the series has always been known for). Truly awesome. Controls, in all honestly, could be a little better, but they work well.

However, on all departments, Syphon Filter kicks SOCOM hard, even though they are in different genres. Better graphics, sound, single-player campaign, multiplayer and a good selection of control schemes, even though the default--with digital aiming--is actually quite good. I believe multiplayer on Syphon Filter is limited to 8 players, however, unlike SOCOM's 16.
I agree. After playing both games single/multiplayer is just better with Syphon filter. Syphon multiplayer is the best i ever played on the PSP.

Thanks a lot for taking time to post the controls ! Sounds like the developers put a lot of thoughts into offering various controls adapted to handhelds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received it this evening, and played with the training missions.

1) Graphics :
Incredible. A little bit of aliasing is the only flaw I was able to find : models are very well done and animated, lightning is pretty good, level geometry is decent, and the texturing work is jaw-dropping. I've certainly seen (and even bought :) ) PS2 games with worse graphics...

What's also excellent is how the developers optimized loading times, very short for the platform. It streams quite a lot, though, so we will have to see if this has a large effect on the battery life.

2) Gameplay :
Controls are solid, thanks to the combination of a target lock mechanism and manual aiming. Moving is pretty easy too, as is selecting weaponry. I have only done the training, so I can't comment yet on difficulty, gameplay variety...

3) Others :
Nice job on the vision filters, and the variety of gadgets seems to be pretty decent. Sound effects are good, but pretty generic so far. Menus are a bit bland, but feel appropriate.

Since I also got Oblivion on the 360, I probably won't play Syphon Filter a lot over the weekend, but I'll definitely play more next week on my way to work...

Corwin_B said:
I received it this evening, and played with the training missions.

1) Graphics :
Incredible. A little bit of aliasing is the only flaw I was able to find : models are very well done and animated, lightning is pretty good, level geometry is decent, and the texturing work is jaw-dropping. I've certainly seen (and even bought :) ) PS2 games with worse graphics...

What's also excellent is how the developers optimized loading times, very short for the platform. It streams quite a lot, though, so we will have to see if this has a large effect on the battery life.

2) Gameplay :
Controls are solid, thanks to the combination of a target lock mechanism and manual aiming. Moving is pretty easy too, as is selecting weaponry. I have only done the training, so I can't comment yet on difficulty, gameplay variety...

3) Others :
Nice job on the vision filters, and the variety of gadgets seems to be pretty decent. Sound effects are good, but pretty generic so far. Menus are a bit bland, but feel appropriate.

Since I also got Oblivion on the 360, I probably won't play Syphon Filter a lot over the weekend, but I'll definitely play more next week on my way to work...

Battery life is piss poor for the online, but as for the single it's about 5-6 hours verus 2 for online.

pixelbox said:
Battery life is piss poor for the online, but as for the single it's about 5-6 hours verus 2 for online.

I picked Syphon Filter up on the GDC trip and it's pretty damn good for a handheld title. The controls could use a bit of rethinking, but there are three different control schemes to choose from so it's not that big a deal.

Also picked up Exit, PQ and Daxter. All very, very good in my opinion. A very good month or so for the PSP.

xmu said:
I picked Syphon Filter up on the GDC trip and it's pretty damn good for a handheld title. The controls could use a bit of rethinking, but there are three different control schemes to choose from so it's not that big a deal.

Also picked up Exit, PQ and Daxter. All very, very good in my opinion. A very good month or so for the PSP.
I think he meant just for the online. I thought the controls were perfect giving the lack of extra stick. I want daxter but... i want a long game.

Back