Equilibrium

Wow, is this a great movie! Awesome action, great plot, subtext, and actors (Christian Bale & Sean Bean). How come I had to see this on my TV & not in the theater?

It's very British and Owellian. Lots of talky, thinky bits, interspersed with creatively styled violence. Also the good and bad people are somewhat ambiguous, and not everyone gets to live happily after.

You can see why Bale got the job as Batman after watching this film. I'm pretty sure it's come up as a thread here on B3D at some point in the past.

This is what I've read, so don't take it as fact, just a possible explaination :)

My understanding is the original distribution studio had a deal with the production to release the movie within one year of the movies completion.

However, timing of the original release date of the movie was somewhat unfortunate. It was originally going to be released around december 2001 I believe. Of course, the nazi-like themeing of the movie, combined with the fact it dealt with topics such as depression, opression, death etc, further combined with the events of months prior, pretty much killed the release.
The studio still had to honour it's deal, and went ahead with an extremly limited release the following december (right at the end of it's one year deal). From memory, it was something like 10 cinemas USA-wide screened the movie.
I'm guessing a different publisher picked up the movie as world wide releases occured mostly in 2003.

Of course that could all be an internet conspiracy theory. :) imdb lists the reasons as:

"The film was not given a wide release because it had already run into profit as a result of overseas sales, and Miramax didn't want to risk turning a money maker into a loss."

Which makes absolutly no sense what-so-ever, unless considering the possible 'conspiracy'.

It is an excellent movie imo, only let down by the fairly spectacuarly bad performance by taye diggs (??). I feel it was quite sad it didn't get a full, world wide release on the original release date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back